bench press help?

Options
so i am kinda big guy
i am 251 pounds and stand at 6 feet even
and have a big upper body or normal
but i can bench maybe 70-90 at best

so i am asking tips on getting better and stronger
do i keep going low weights until the body gets use to it?

what to do

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for strength you want heavy weights, low reps
  • martin_chicago
    martin_chicago Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i know but i dont have strenght
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    increase gradually then. you need to be struggling to build your strength.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    increase to where you can get 10-12 reps (last 3 reps you should feel the burn) in and then stick with that and once you find that easy you go up :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what 3laine said. you build strength by increasing weight to overload the muscle. then rest and recover then comeback the next workout and repeat. if you're using something like the oly bar, try using the 2.5 pound plates as you progress.

dont stop adding weight until you plateau. you dont have to wait until it feels easy or light to increase
  • maseymour1224
    Options
    You wanna start with weights that you can handle, but push you a little bit. As you get stronger, keep increasing the weight. It's also important to not just work your upper body, but all muscles. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Learn the correct form first. Then add appropriate weight till you can do 10 perfect reps. Stick with that till you get used to feeling the right mechanics of the lift. Then gradually increase the weight till you can only complete 10 reps again. Once you've mastered the movement, then you attack the higher weights to build strength. It may take a few weeks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to build strength is to do pyramids. Do 12 reps at say 70, 10 reps at 80, and 8 reps at 90.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    try looking into stronglifts 5x5. basically start off with no weights and gradually increase weight. It will also get you doing excersises that increase strenght in your shoulders and back which in turn will help you increase your bench.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Learn the correct form first. Then add appropriate weight till you can do 10 perfect reps. Stick with that till you get used to feeling the right mechanics of the lift. Then gradually increase the weight till you can only complete 10 reps again. Once you've mastered the movement, then you attack the higher weights to build strength. It may take a few weeks.

IDEA Fitness member

^ This
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Dont get all wrapped up in the B*ll**** Bench press Huupla. Use Dumbells. Builds muscles faster anyways. AND WHO cares how much you can bench??? If u haz muscles, flex uhm!
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Make sure when you lie on the bench to tuck your shoulder blades in a way so that they are ON the bench rather then hanging off. It will give you a better base. Start with 5 sets of the weight you can push for 4-6 reps. Once you are able to do 5 sets of 6 reps with that weight, up your weight so that you are back down to 4-6 rep range. Do NOT bench more then twice a week.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This, except change 10 to three sets of 8 if you are primarily interested in strength. It should be 8,8, 7, or maybe 8,8,6. At least the first rep be able to do 8, then the rest go until you can't do no more. Do that for a few weeks until you get to 8,8,8 then up the weight 5lb (10 once you can do above 200) and should be back to where you can do 8 on the first set, but not quite as many on subsequent ones. Make sure you get your rest and proteins in. Some people even do 3x6's, but I did 8's for years because of not having a spotter, and it allowed me to hit my exhaustion point with a finer granularity without risking being stuck with a tonn of weight on my chest.
  • martin_chicago
    Options
    ok good plan i can do it and try it today

increase to where you can get 10-12 reps (last 3 reps you should feel the burn) in and then stick with that and once you find that easy you go up :)
  • martin_chicago
    Options
    yea i also work my arms and my lower body also and back
    You wanna start with weights that you can handle, but push you a little bit. As you get stronger, keep increasing the weight. It's also important to not just work your upper body, but all muscles. :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd shoot for sets of 5 or so. And gradually increase weight.

check out "so you think you can bench" on youtube for form
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^ This
    ^
    This

Also, on YouTube search for "So You Think You Can Bench". It's the best video series I've seen on teaching bench form.
    Dont get all wrapped up in the B*ll**** Bench press Huupla. Use Dumbells. Builds muscles faster anyways.
    LMAO, say what?!? :laugh: :noway:

Starting off light to get your form and initial strength is a good idea but long-term if you're really looking to improve strength the weight you want to work with is probably 80% to 90% of your 1RM for sets of 3 to 5 reps. Pyramiding is a decent method but there are much better methods available.
  • overstuff
    Options
    I agree, you should look into strong lift 5x5. It's a 12 week strenght building program. It's 3 workouts a week that consist of 3 excerises in a split routine. The good thing is you start w/just the barbell (45lbs) to learn the correct form. I'm currently on week 5 and i'm squatting 120lbs, overhead press 75lbs, flat bench 100lbs, barbell row 105lbs, and deadlift 160lbs. Before SL5x5 I would struggle benching 100lbs, now I can do the 5 sets of 5 reps w/out struggling. Before starting this I was able to do about 3 pull-ups, hoping after my 6 week i'm able to do 8+ pull-ups.
  • bignas76
    bignas76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dont get all wrapped up in the B*ll**** Bench press Huupla. Use Dumbells. Builds muscles faster anyways. AND WHO cares how much you can bench??? If u haz muscles, flex uhm!

Exactly what this guy said.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Absolutely AGREE!!!

There are some exercises you can do which will also increase your bench press strength. These exercises build on the specific upper, outer, and lower muscle areas of your pectorial (your pecs/chest). Don't worry about how much weight you can throw up, just throw up weight as the poster I've quoted above. It's solid advice.

1. Cable Crossover or Butterfly
    2. Decline Benchpress
    3. Military Press
    4. Dumbell Flat Bench Press
    5. Incline Dumbbell Press
    6. Push Ups using Push up bars
    7. Dips

Last but not least, DO NOT BENCH PRESS WITHOUT A SPOTTER!!! 1. You'll get strength gains from pushing through or to a one rep max with assistance. 2. SAFETY and correction of your form should your strength decrease to a "muscle lock out".