Points Plus?

Options
I am thinking of enrolling in Weight Watchers. Has anyone tried their Points Plus plan? I had a lot of success with the old points system years ago, but heard the new system is much different. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• L128
    L128 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey

Well I started doing the Pro Points plan and I must say I found it to be successful for me... I did give up though, had so much going on that weight loss just took a back seat (I know tut tut!).

BUT
    I have just rejoined and I am determined to stick at it this time!

It is entirely different to counting calories though, I tried to follow WW alongside MFP but sometimes the calories vary even if your points are the same, somedays you maybe over on calories some over... Depends if you get upset seeing the little red numbers because you've gone over for the day lol.

x
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of enrolling in Weight Watchers. Has anyone tried their Points Plus plan? I had a lot of success with the old points system years ago, but heard the new system is much different. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

I've lost 28lbs on the Points Plus so far, bout halfway to goal. I love it. Never hungry, not eating any diet crap, and still losing weight.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You have access to weight loss success right here for free.
    There is no magic to WW.
    It's all about controlling your intake of calories.

I would save my $ if I were you and stick with mfp.
    THERE IS NO MAGIC.
  • Skye259
    Skye259 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am new here, can you track points instead of calories? My co-worker does the WW point system, she loves it. I count Calories. I am thinking of switching, if you have a busy lifestyle, go out for dinner a lot, WW point system might work better.
  • tohey22
    tohey22 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am on weight watchers right now. I just started doing it. My boyfriends mom did it a few years ago and lost almost 100 pounds.. She gained a little back and is now doing it again.. Since January she lost 20 or 30 pounds and looks great. So I decided i should try it too. Trying to get to my goal so I can buy a cute bathing suit! Everyone I talk to that has done it though has had nothing but positive results.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I liked it! Lost 10lbs easily with it. It has a greater emphasis on macronutrition than the old points.

I switched because I couldn't attend meetings anymore and didn't want to pay $$$ for an online-only program. Both MFP and WW are great plans - it's all about whichever you will be able to use consistently to meet your goals.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have not used the new points plus program, but had success on the old points program.

For me I cant see paying when MFP is free. Unless it's the weigh ins and meetings you are looking for. At one point I NEEDED that weekly weigh in. I needed to be accountable. This time I KNOW I can do thus on my own, and I am doing it!!

You have to find what works for you!! Good luck with whatever you choose!!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You do realize that it's all the same thing? MFP calls it counting calories and WW calls it counting points. The points just equal a certain amount of calories.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It works. It is a great program. I track points and calories. Sometimes they don't even out and you have too many calories even though you are good on points sometimes not a lot of calories even though you are out of points. The point system is so different now that if there is fat in the food the points are higher even if the calories are w/i your range. It's a good program. I like it
  • B_Mae
    B_Mae Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I am finding that the calories I eat, are not necessarily comprised of nutritious foods. I think that the WW plan may force me to make healthier choices.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Seems like it's a simplified form of calorie counting.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Seems like it's a simplified form of calorie counting.

It really is.

The only difference is the dietary fiber being taken into account, and that when foods have some carbs and protein the points plus are slightly lower. However, it doesn't take into account if you have some complex carbs from one food source and protein from another which I think is an oversight. Any healthy eating plan where you're eating less than maintenance will work.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I am finding that the calories I eat, are not necessarily comprised of nutritious foods. I think that the WW plan may force me to make healthier choices.

WW will not force you to make healthier choices, only you can do that. Just as with mfp, if it is in your points you can basically eat whatever you want. You are the only one that can decide if those points/calories are used up by healthy or unhealthy foods. Regardless of which one you choose, though, I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
  • ThickNThunda
    ThickNThunda Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I enrolled in the Weight Watchers online free trial to see if there was a difference between them and MFP. Save your money. If I stayed within my points, I also stayed within my caloric intake. This is free with just as much support.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You do realize that it's all the same thing? MFP calls it counting calories and WW calls it counting points. The points just equal a certain amount of calories.

Basically yes, but not exactly. I can eat the same number of points on Monday and Tuesday, but have different calorie counts for those days.

You get "dinged" on points for high fat foods or high carbs with low fiber. Sometimes it's a mental thing (points seem easier than calories).

As for me, I had a lot of success with the Momentum plan. I did not have success with PP 2011. With 2012 I've had minimal success. So, I've been doing it along with MFP, trying to decide whether to quit paying for it altogether.
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    when I began in January, I signed up for the week free on WW too, and logged them both just for that week just to see which I liked better. They both worked the same. I stayed with MFP because it was FREE.
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm on WW. Its working for me. I lose about a pound a week. PP is different from the old points, but once you get used to new point values on items, its fine. If anyone is doing WW, please add me. I would love to peek at your diaries to find foods I haven't thought of.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The new WW plan has been very de-motivational for me.

My brain just can't make a logical correlation between Fat/Carbs/Protein/Fiber and "points" like it could with just Calories/Fat/Fiber on the old plan.

Tracking f/c/p/f (and also subconsciously considering calories, because calories are so familiar) was just way too much for me.

Now I am just counting calories. Calories are simple. I need simple. This is working much better for me than P+ was.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Only you can force yourself to make healthier choices. I've done WW ages ago and lost weight, but used to cry myself to sleep because I was so hungry. I did it again just last year thinking the new plan would be different and it's still basically the same thing - Points. You pay to use the tracking system on-line, but MFP is FREE! and way more supportive. I will give WW credit, if I hadn't joined them last year, I never would have gotten bored with them and discovered MFP. Thanks WW.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

WW will not force you to make healthier choices, only you can do that. Just as with mfp, if it is in your points you can basically eat whatever you want. You are the only one that can decide if those points/calories are used up by healthy or unhealthy foods. Regardless of which one you choose, though, I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Technically speaking, the plan has good health guidelines that are supposed to be met every day. Fruits+vegetables, healthy oils, dairy, water, and activity.