Working Mom needing to lose weight

Options
Hi! I"m new to this site. I'm 25 years old and have 2 great kids, girl-5 yrs and a boy-2yrs. i have a sitdown desk joba dn work 40 hours a week. I think my main problem is I feel bad excercising, like it takes away from the precious evenings with my family. However, i decided an hour away from them is better than not doing anything with them since I am so out of shape. So I started the Couch to 5K workout last night. Does ayone else have any ideas for moms who don't have a ton of time to devote to working out? Thanks!

Replies

• Candaroo
    Candaroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this. I have started talking a walk around where I work on my lunch break. I figured it's better that sitting at my desk reading trashy gossip sites ;-) I also have been really strict with myself in forcing me to go the the gym Saturday and Sunday. Like you said, an hour away is better than doing nothing. I feel so much better after taking that hour too!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I work out at lunch and take one hour in the evening and one early morning... then I work out on Sat during nap. I try to do fun things with them too. I wear my little one when we do family activities... I figure I am burning more calories carrying her than just pushing her around. I carve outside play with my older little one outside everyday that it is nice; either while hubs is cooking or after dinner... the dishes can wait until the kiddos are in bed. I put music blaring from my phone and we dance around, or play tag.. whatever....

If all else fails, I will work out after their bedtime. I hate working out that late... but you got to do what you got to do.

We also have Wii and X-Box kinect. We like to do the dance games and my kids think it is a blast. The baby enjoys watching everyone jumping around and the toddler loves joining in.

For us, it is just creating a different lifestyle that envolves being active on top of planned exercise.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't work out every day (I know I'm so bad). I take a couple days during the week and sometimes 1 during the weekend. When I first started I did Jillian Michaels DVDs in my living room. Pretty easy to do at home after the kiddos are in bed!!!
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am doing 30 Day Shred. It's 20 minutes long and the results are fantastic!
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    Maybe get up ealier in the mornings (I am not a morning person so I know this can be tough). Or maybe workout after they are in bed. Or workout during lunch as others have said. I have done all three (gym had showers and I was able to be gone hour + so I could take a quick shower).

I find that if I get up in the mornings, I can definitely get my workout in. If I wait until evening - it sometimes gets left out.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What about mornings before work? That's when I do the majority of my exercise. I get up at 5 am instead of 6 am to get a decent workout in, whether it's running, walking, or indoor exercise. Plus I get it out of my system early, and can relax after work instead of having to do ONE MORE THING :)
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like the above post. i'm in the same boat. I work a desk job and have a 8 month old. It's hard to do anything after work bc my fiance, his father, works evenings so it's just me to watch him. I would take him for walks but the weather in Jersey hasn't been the greatest. This has given me some ideas though. i think i could suck it up and do 1 early morning a week.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't count this as my exercise, but I have made a conscious effort to be more active with my kids. We kick the soccer ball in the yard, take walks, play on the playground, play Wii Just Dance, etc. together. Then you don't have the guilt and you are helping them establish lifelong healthy habits.
  • BReit1
    BReit1 Posts: 28
    Options
    As a mom of 4 ages 7, 6, 4, & 2, I have limited time to exercise. I bought myself an elliptical and it seems to make exercise easier, because I don't have to find time to GO to the gym! I do all I need to with my kids, and when the homework, chores, laundry, etc, etc, is all done, and the kids are allowed their TV time, I get on the elliptical while they watch their show. I usually can squeak in 30 minutes. I do this 3 times a week, I alternate it with Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred, also 3 times a week, and one day I don't workout at all (usually Saturday). Hope this helps!
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom with a desk job too! I have found that it works best for me to walk during my lunch break. Then, when my younger son naps, I hit the stairs at home! (Still able to watch him but get a good work out too!). I also have started getting my whole family to go on an evening walk around our neighborhood. We put the baby in the stroller and head out! Now, if I don't suggest walking, my older son always asks when we are going! So, he holds me accountable lol!
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    Well, I have a 22 month old little boy and one of the things I have started doing is getting up early to work out and get it out of the way for the day. My son isn't up yet....heck, the house is still asleep, but I feel great getting it done, I'm not taking any time away from my son or husband and I don't have to worry about NOT doing it later. Also, my husband and I take our son on a walk to visit our neighbor's horses and donkey in the evening and that burns even more calories. No, it doesn't get my heart rate up really, but a calorie is a calorie, right? Also...if you work somewhere where there are stairs...take a break every so often and go down and up as much as you can. I've started taking the stairs alot at work (I work on the 9th floor) and I really believe it's helping to keep the weight off. Good luck to you and I know you can do it!!!
  • SBerrio
    SBerrio Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always feel "guilty" about taking time away from my 2 kids if I were to go after work. But sometimes we need to sacrifice some of the time and think of ourselves first. There is a Lucille Roberts gym about 6 blocks away from my job so I take full advantage of that and take a class during my lunch hour. I also walk home from the train station on nice days (30 min ). Best of luck to you!!! : )
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    I'm in the same boat I work 40 hours a week but I do take a hour lunch and we have a gym at work so I head down there then I take a quick shower and back to work.. I find it hard to squeeze it in at night with 6 kids and my fiance... but I have been going for walks and having them ride there bikes.. (so I don't have to walk as slow.. and sometimes you can jog to keep up with them) or we play the wii.. The kids also like when I bring out the work out DVD's then they work out right along with me... and I'm still spending time with the kids...

Please anyone feel free to add me!
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My kids and I bike ride together. They are 12 and 10. I also play basketball, soccer, and football. I don't think it matters as much what you are doing, but that you are doing.

Also, I have a dance aerobic video that I bought at Wal-Mart. My boys do that with me. The majority of the time we end of laughing on the floor, but they are learning healthy habits and don't even know it. (score one for mom!)
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would suggest 30 day shred as welll. The results are amazing. I didn't lose much weight but lost 11 inches! Definitly take your measurements before starting so you can really see how much your body changes even if you don't lose alot of pounds.
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have started talking a walk around where I work on my lunch break.

Great idea! I actually hit the gym at lunch but I'm usually a hot mess going back to the office. It's just the only time I have when my family is otherwise engaged.
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am also a working mom of two boys, age 5 and 2, with a desk job. They are my WORLD and I don't want to use my time with them to exercise. I usually do my eliptical in my basement at night AFTER they go to bed. It is actually quite nice. Me and Pandora have a date and it is kinda relaxing. I don't miss anytime with them and my hubby gets a while to watch whatever he wants ;)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Girl let me tell you...I am a mom of 4. 10, 8, 6, 5 oldest 2 are boys and the youngest 2 are girls. I work 9-5:30 and am on public transportation thanks to my van I bought that broke down after 2 months...but that's besides the point. I get up at 5am get 2 of the 4 kids up and we leave the house by 6:45a. I walk a few blocks to drop my kids with the sitter and then proceed to walk exactly 3 bus stops further than my actual stop to catch that 7a bus. Hop on the 'L' (train) to my job where i'm lucky enough to have access to the free gym and I get there by 7:30a-7:45am and I work out until about 8:35ish and hit the showers get dressed and get my *kitten* to work.....I swore up and down I couldn't do it...some how some way I make it happen 5 days a week. MON-FRI unless I take time off from work. I am SO glad I'm able to do this because I feel accomplished and energized and STRONG. Tweek your shedule and just DO IT! You can!!! You will!! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

PS...C25K is a GREAT start. I have also been doing it...sort of. I am still tweaking that up a bit!
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find time when you work full time, my children like going outside for walks or riding their bikes. I find on days I don't have time to work out, if we can in the afternoon or after dinner just all of us go for a walk around the neighborhood. That way I'm with my kids and they get to be outside on their bikes or walking.
  • kskostamikel
    Options
    I also have a 40 hr/week desk job. I definitely agree with others who recommend walking over your lunch hour. Whenever I am able to do so I always feel better through the afternoon and find I do not "boredom snack." In the evenings why not try activities that you can do with your kids (it's never too early to start teaching them healthy habits) like walking, biking, soccer or even bowling, etc. If nothing else remember that an extra hour away from them everyday will lead to a longer lifetime to spend with them. Good luck!