good dinner recipes and healthy carb snacks?

Options
kthurlow
kthurlow Posts: 10
Hey, I'm living away from home, and I'm not really used to cooking while having to go to school too. Does anyone have any relatively quick recipes with not too many ingredients for dinners?
Also I find myself a lot of the time craving carbohydrate snacks, anyone have any suggestions of some that are somewhat healthy and filling?
Thanks!

Replies

• mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    What kind of carbs - fruits, grains, sweets?

I like Cliff Crunch granola bars.
    Luna makes good bars.
    Bananas are good filling carbs.
    Also, Snyders of Hanover All Natural Veggie sticks, and Snappea Crisps are good for salty snacks.
    Thomas Light Multi-grain English Muffin with some Poiander All Fruit, or applebutter is good and filing.

Quick Dinner Ideas:
    Mini-bagel pizzas made with light Prego and reduced fat cheese,
    Salad topped with grilled chicken or shrimp,
    Wrap made with low sodium deli turkey, cream cheese, salsa and veges, served with a side salad.
    Pork chop (sauteed in a hot pan with a little EVOO and some spices - garlic powder, onion powder and pepper), baked sweet or regular potato, and a green vegetable.
    Breakfast for dinner (omelete in a pita wrap, french toast with turkey or chicken sausage)
    Ham steak (low sodium) with grits and a green vegetable.
    Fish tacos.
    Vegetable stir-fry on a wrap.
    Stuffed baked potato (stuff with low-fat cheese, shrimp, chili, salsa, low-fat sour cream, olives, brocolli, bar-b-q meats, BBQ sauce or whatever you like)
    Stuffed shells - stuff with herbed cottage cheese and top with Prego light tomato sauce.
  • littlemiss165
    Options
    Do you have access to a crock pot? If so, mix chicken breast (frozen or thawed), a jar of salsa, a can of low sodium black beans and a can of low sodium corn in a crock pot and cook all day. Tastes great, reheats well, and pretty healthy!

When i want salty carbs, I try to go for pretzel thins and a string cheese. Sugary carbs, go for a greek yogurt with a TBS sugar free jam. protein in the dairy will keep you full and satisfy the craving. The cliff granola bars (crunchy) are great, and so are KIND bars :)
  • kthurlow
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions! ill have to try the chicken in the crockpot sounds amazing!!
  • kthurlow
    Options
    Thanks what kind of Luna Bars do you like?