has anyone tried to stop you from losing weight?

Options
I am overweight- not massively- but I need to lose weight and i've found that my friends are trying to stop me.

I'm eating 1200 calories/day & doing the 30 day shred.

When a friend heard about this she showed her personal trainer boyfriend who has had nothing good to say about it- why?!
I just dont get it really. I mean, i could kind of understand if a girl didnt support it, but a guy?

I've had M.E. for 6 years and i'm just trying to get fit & help myself- I can only see this as a good thing?

Has this happened to any of you?
Advice please! I'm getting p*ssed off!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    1200 total or net? Maybe they are trying to stop you from doing it in such an unhealthy way.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as youre eating 1200 net, (i.e. eating back your calories from 30ds)........

I've had that happen. A lot of it is from people who don't have the determination to do it themselves, though. I try not to let it piss me off and instead remember that just because THEY can't do it doesn't mean I can't. That is just them projecting their own junk onto me.
  • lozzle91
    lozzle91 Posts: 38
    Options
    1200 total or net? Maybe they are trying to stop you from doing it in such an unhealthy way.
    Yes, I'm eating back my calories. I dont think I could do it if i didnt eat back my calories. Sometimes I eat about 1400 too, but i'm only 5ft1 so I dont need to eat much more than that.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yep I have had people tell me I'm getting too skinny. Ummm I'm 6'0", 192 lbs....where is that skinny?? I think some people want you to just stay the way they've always known you to keep you in "their comfort zone". They aren't happy seeing you progress because maybe they have to face their failures.

As for the personal trainer boyfriend. He might be hating on JM because he wants your money. Its better for him to down that program and to get you in the gym so he can profit from it.

Use their discouragement as your fuel for success.

But to hit on what others have said make sure you are netting 1200 calories after exercise.

:smile:
  • lozzle91
    Options
    Thanks ladies :) just done my third day on the shred and it felt good!
    I won't let anyone "p*ss on my cornflakes!" haha :)
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    ImSoPerfectlyFlawed Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yep, I call them haters
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There will always be comments that will piss us off. Ignore em and use that anger to motivate yourself.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, today I had a similar thing happen. I had to travel for work with a colleague who is always "trying" to lose weight. (This of course involves eating lots of chips and regular chocolate cake slices). She has repeatedly told me she is jealou of me losing weight. Today we stopped for breakfast on the way and I ordered egg, bacon, mushrooms but passed on the chips and sausages. She then told me that "Oh, you are so good"
    On the way home we stopped for a late lunch. She ordered a double cheeseburger, coke and coffee. I was trying to decide between chicken and salad or steak and salad:
    Her response: "Oh, if you order a salad I am going to kill you." She then tried to persuade me to order a burger.
    I was like WTF, one minute you are telling me I am so good the next minute you are trying to sabotage me.
    Why do people do this?
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think the most annoying way this happens is when people try to do it inadvertantly - chances are they are just jealous! get it girl!
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    No but I suspect they will. I'm only 5'1" so my healthy weight range is low in comparison to someone of a more average height. I'm also very, very overweight currently so to go down to a healthy weight will be a massive drop - to tell someone I'm looking at losing 5 or 6 stone I know from past experience will not go down well. I'm just getting on with own thing and at some point in the future I'm sure they'll notice but I kinda feel like once it's already happened they'll have less objections, y'know?
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are tons of articles online about friends and family sabotaging your success. I think they subconsciously are jealous or insecure that you may move on past them. Do whats best for you, maybe in the end you will end up motivating them! Good Luck
  • Kdra_204
    Kdra_204 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yes! I'm 25 years old, 5'2 and 150lbs.

Sometimes I'm told that working out and dieting is better if you have an accountability friend....but I can't find such a friend! All my friends seem to always be on diets but they aren't as serious as me. They'll always try to get me to eat foods that they have convinced themselves are healthy and low cal.

If I ever tell my best friend that I'm trying to lose weight she tells me over and over that I'm skinny and shouldn't worry about it. As if I'm looking for complements. She's a great friend but I really am serious about losing weight and not just being "skinny" but being healthy.

Just know you'll get comments like that from people but take everything with a grain of salt....

Sometimes it's not jealousy but ignorance on the topic of weight loss.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I can tell you as someone who works in IT that many people inherently resist change. I don't think anybody consciously sets out to sabotage their family and friends at dieting, I think they just see the coming change and have a knee-jerk reaction of nooooo I like things the way they are because it works for meeeee. If you start ordering soup and a half sandwich at Chili's instead of a big burger and fries, they are going to feel more guilty about their lunches and they don't want to have to deal with that disparity. It's EASIER just to say oh, no, you don't need to lose weight! Here eat this burger.

The best way to deal with it is to order the healthy food, keep on trucking, and change the subject. They are not experts on your health.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes, I'm eating back my calories. I dont think I could do it if i didnt eat back my calories. Sometimes I eat about 1400 too, but i'm only 5ft1 so I dont need to eat much more than that.

You are still under eating a little (not much though). Based on your stats, your estimated BMR is 1413 calories (the amount of calories your body needs to run it's basic functions, aka your metabolism). Eating below this, can increase the chances of muscle loss which will harm your chances of getting FIT. Without knowing your lifestyle (student, desk job, etc..) it is difficult to make a guess to how many calories you need but here is my first take. Based on the people I have ran numbers for, people tend to burn around 200-300 calories doing 30DS (so I will use 250 for these purposes).

TDEE = 1413*1.2 + 250 = 1945 <-- estimated amount of calories you burn in a given day. From here we can form a deficit.

Generally, for cutting fat, 20% is a good deficit for women.

Caloric needs = 1945 * .80 = 1556

So really, you should be eating at least 1550 calories in a day. More than likely, you aren't sedentary so more than likely, you should add another 200 calories for that increase in activity.

Now, You probably don't really need to lose weight but rather getting fit means cutting fat. You don't cut fat and maintain muscle on low calorie diets (LCD). You need to fuel the beast so it can cut fat and not preserve it. When you eat LCD, your body will fight to preserve fat more as its the most abundant source of energy and instead will convert the amino acids in muscle to make energy.

Also, it's more difficult cutting fat with cardio based programs. And 30DS is more of a cardio program based on what I have been told by others. Instead, you would be better off with doing weight training (as shown in the study/info below). When you do heavy lifting (I mean failing at 8-12 reps) your body will cut fat faster than tons of cardio.

Something to think about.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • jodienc1
    jodienc1 Posts: 13
    Options
    One of many reasons I don't share with people my journey and plan. I have lost 45 pounds and when people started noticing... I simply answered. I did it the old fashion way. Hard work and eating right. I have found even the best of friends and family will sabotage efforts.
  • jkfe
    jkfe Posts: 3
    Options
    People don't always like change, and for those folks, especially change they did not implement. I've lost 50 lbs over several years and maintained the loss. I have friends and acquintances who support me but astonishing, I have family who always try to sabotage my weight loss by making high calorie and fattening meals. Even my husband is always on me about me loosing weight. In our relationship, food has always been the one thing we shared. Now he gets upset when I read food labels or order healthy items off the menu. He'd rather have me heavy than fit and I think it's more for his own mental security than anything else.

If your friends are trying to sabotage you, then they really aren't that good of a friend. Family is family and spouses, well that's a personal choice of how to address.
  • lozzle91
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. It does seem like a common theme with friends and family. I'm guessing it is maybe a security thing.

My husband is somewhat supportive, but is one of those annoying people who can eat junk food all day, every day and not put on an ounce. He comes from a family of junk food eaters so doesnt see a problem with suggesting going to McDonalds a few times a week. I dont think he understands that this doesnt help me, as he's never had weight issues himself.

ahhh... i sometimes think this is harder mentally than physically.
    anyway, i'm upping my calorie intake, continuing on the 30ds & ignoring all the nay-sayers.

Thank you for helping me keep my chin up, people! :)
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yes! My dad... I firmly believe that he has the best intentions, he just doesn't realize that he's not helping. Anytime he's eating something high-cal and delicious, he always says "c'mon, have some, a bite or two won't hurt." Yeah, except that I'm not someone who can have a bite or two. Even if I do manage to stop there, I'll just crave it even more than before I had a taste. So, yeah, dad, that's REALLY helpful. :rolleyes:
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard, but try not to let their comments get to you. You are doing this for you, not them.

My husband doesn't see me as overweight (even though I have tried explaining that my BMI puts me borderline obese!) - it's sweet that he loves me the way I am, but at the same time it does have a detrimental effect on my motivation! I have let this sway me towards loosing focus for the past couple of days, but will get back on track.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    My nan. She burst through my door one day saying 'if you're gonna keep exercising you need to eat more' - i was eating even more than i am now at that point.

Then my uncle came round and told my mum that she was going over my cousins house and telling them that i was literally wasting away - i wasn't.