"Diet" or "Everything in Moderation"????

Options
So I have been going between all these different "ideas" that are going to work to help me lose weight.... eating only green vegetables, then introducing other veggies, gradually fruit, lean meat and whole grain, low carb, even HCG (YIKES!).
I see SO much success on this website and just wondered if I could get some feedback. Is it better to just "eat smart" and not deprive yourself or to go "drastic" and do what I'm trying now which is to basically eat nothing but vegetables and chicken???
In the last year I've lost 68 pounds, then in the last 2 months fell off and gained 18 back. I don't want to ever "GO BACK" but I'm just frankly REALLY tired of always feeling like what I do isn't good enough.

Replies

• oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation has been working for me. There really isn't anything I wouldn't eat. It becomes a matter of how much.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Whatever is easiest to adhere to, typically the more restrictive the diet the worse the adherence to it
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting back on all the junk food I eat and bringing in more veggies and fruits and fish. When I have not had any junk for a few days, I start going into binge mode. I feel it's better for me to simply cut back on what I'm eating than cut it out all together. I think it's better to have a bite of my husband's chocolate bunny than sit there and think all night about how delish it would taste.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Every time I've gone on a "diet" I've failed and gained any weight lost right back. But this whole moderation thing sure is working for me---and I don't feel deprived of any of the not-so-healthy things I love! I just make sure I've got the calories to spend and don't beat myself up over it :)
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I don't think there is one "correct" answer, as different people are geared differently, and thrive with different options. So you need to see what works for you.

For me personally, I use Moderation. This is a lifestyle change for me, not a temp fix. I want food options I can live with, and I like to enjoy eating, and life. My family and I all share the same home, and foods. I don't feel they should be forced to "diet". And I don't want to "never again have........"

I use commonsense, and endever to choose good nutrient dense food options, that taste good and fit my macro and calorie goals, most days.

My family and I eat the same food items. We eat things we like, within common sense and reason.

I personally do not feel any food is evil of forbidden, but If I am going to eat that cookie, cake, pizza , ***insert bad food of choice*** then it needs to fall into my macro and calorie goals for that day. (if possible)

Or gets slotted to my "free day" - which is once a week for me, and the day I can goto the movies and have the large coke and candy and theater popcorn, and a meal after of cheesy Mexican food - or whatever, with out sweating it. :)

I am a very disciplined personality type however, and anal, so for me this works. I can limit portion sizes if needed, to make sure that I do eat one small handful of chocolate chips - not a whole bag. (and I count them in my food log)

If I forbid any food, then next thing you know thats ALL I crave and all I can think about. Better to eat it and get it over with. And someday, you just have to have that hugh bowl of ice cream or whatever, even if I go over my numbers that day. Thats okay too - I just make a habit not to do it everyday, and get back on track the next day.

I tried the Atkins Diet once, I DID lose weight - but the carb cravings made me insane. All I could think about was french toast, popcorn etc. Every diet was a temp fix for me, and I felt sad and deprived.

With moderation, if I want French Toast with butter, powdered sugar, a glass of milk and bacon - I have it. Not daily, as it will not fit my macro and cal goals, But once in a while - no problem. I feel better mentally and physically - and don't feel starved, or depressed because I have to avoid everything I like.

I generally eat "decently" probably 80 percent of the time, but I personally am not an all organic, all natural, no processed food person. That does not work for me, my family, or my goals. And I personally do not feel it is a requirement to be healthy or lose weight. (nor does my Dr based on my excellent lab results yearly)
    I have lost 50-60 pounds total.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. For me, I am pretty routine and more strict through out the week on what I eat, but on the weekends am more lax because its more family and friend time, but still I focus on Calories in vs. Calories out. Good luck!
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Whatever is easiest to adhere to, typically the more restrictive the diet the worse the adherence to it

This for sure!
  • cookiesandjuice
    Options
    MODERATION!! there's a reason D-I-E is in diet, lol
    simply cutting back on everything i eat works jus fine for me.
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think the more reading you do here the more stories you will find of people who have lost weight/maintained by eating *smart*. That is, they take in the proper nutrition, move more, and don't sweat the small stuff too much. It seems to me, from others' experience and my own, that once you decide what your goal weight is, you find a way to get there that doesn't make you crazy. In other words, you make a lifestyle change. Don't starve yourself; take in a healthy amount of food, according to your numbers on MFP or another site you trust. Be patient. Be willing to experiment. Know that you're doing your body and mind good to eat a variety of foods and move in a variety of ways.

So, uh, I guess that means I vote for "moderation". Heh.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation has been working for me. There really isn't anything I wouldn't eat. It becomes a matter of how much.

Same for me.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I never used either term when I was losing weight. I get that people can be sensitive to terminology and semantics. I also find that people care more about labels when they have difficulty seeing the bigger picture ("am I eating healthier/smaller portions overall?")
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    All my life my dad has said to me:
    "Everything in moderation, even moderation"
    I like to think my dad is an intelligent man :)
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is one "correct" answer, as different people are geared differently, and thrive with different options.

For me personally, I use Moderation. This is a lifestyle change for me, not a temp fix. I want food options I can live with, and I like to enjoy eating, and life. My family and I all share the same home, and foods. I don't feel they should be forced to "diet".

I use commonsense, and endever to choose good nutrient dense food options, that taste good and fit my macro and calorie goals.

My family and I eat the same food items. We eat things we like, within common sense and reason.

I personally do not feel any food is evil of forbidden, but If I am going to eat that cookie, cake, pizza , ***insert bad food of choice*** then it needs to fall into my macro and calorie goals for that day. (if possible)

Or gets slotted to my "free day" - which is once a week for me, and the day I can goto the movies and have the large coake and candy and theater popcorn, or whatever, with out sweating it. :)

I am a very disciplined personality type however, and anal, so for me this works.

If I forbid any food, then bnext thing you know thats ALL I crave and all I can think about. Better to eat it and get it over with. And someday, you just half to have that hugh bowl of ice cream or whatever, even if I go over my numbers that days. Thats okay too - I just make a habit not to do it everyday, and get back on track the next day.

I tried the Atkins Diet once, I DID lose weight - but the carb cravings made me insane. All I could think about was french toast, popcorn etc.

With moderation, if I want French Toast with butter, powdered sugar, a glass of milk and bacon - I have it. Not daily, as it will not fit my macro and cal goals, But once in a while - no problem. I feel better mentally and physically - and don't feel starved, or depressed because I have to avoid everything I like.

I generally eat "decently" probably 80 percent of the time, but I personally am not an all organic, all natural, no processed food person. That does not work for me, my family, or my goals. And I personally do not feel it is a requirement to be healthy or lose weight. (nor does my Dr based on my excellent lab results yearly)
    I have lost 50-60 pounds total.

^^^^ You are living my life! Love this answer and it is what I follow as well and has worked for me. "Dieting" just doesn't do it for me and makes me cranky.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not dieting, but changing my lifestyle - nothing is off limits. It's about portion control. If it's something that I know would trigger a binge, I don't have it in the house, but will time to time, have it when I eat out. I think if you diet, you restrict and limit to many things and then when you've reached your goal what have you learned. I really don't believe there is a perfect plan. It's a journey with detours and new directions all the time, just be willing to embrace the detours backup and move forward.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Neither...I'm going with "lifestyle change" and there are some foods that I consider too bad (or too much of a trigger) to do "in moderation". I feel like telling myself I can have anything in moderation is a slippery slope back to the bad habits, and I'm not going back there.

Now, that being said, I'm not saying I'll 'never eat that again", but some things just aren't making the cut and will be a "once in a great while" type of thing. That's what works for me anyway...but everyone is different!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I eat everything in moderation. If I don't, I will binge in a weak moment. I want to be in shape and healthy, but also enjoy the yummy things in life, not feeling deprived. It's all a balancing act...
  • j_desmet
    j_desmet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone... Here's another question.... how do you know how many calories you should be eating??? a DR has never really told me...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I follow an everything in moderation lifestyle. I don't know about other people, but I know when I try and make things all or nothing -- I get grumpy, resentful and well, those things lead to massive binge eating events. If I allow myself to have what I want, when I want - just in a sensible portion size? I don't have the desire to binge eat or go crazy with something, because it hasn't been deemed "off limits" to me. :)

I want to be healthy (and am), but this is the only life I have to live and I don't want to miss out on the things I enjoy too.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I would HIGHLY recommend Fat 2 Fit Radio. Look at their website and listen to their podcasts. They are free. ;-)
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What has worked best for me is keeping most days pretty low calorie and balancing healthy eating with enjoying my faves in moderation as long as they fit into my calories and then once a week having a Spike day where I can go a bit crazy. Mon-Fri I try to stay around 1200 calories and go very light on breakfast and have a low cal lunch so I can enjoy dinner more and maybe a light beer or two. Saturdays I bump up to 1500 calorie (my bmr) and usually spend the extra on wine with dinner. Then Sundays is my Spike day and I aim for around 3000 calories. I love that day,. I've been steadily losing since I've started "dieting" this way and it's been a heck of a lot more fun!