"Diet" or "Everything in Moderation"????

Options
2»

Replies

• runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When I started I cut out a lot of sugar and stuck with mostly fruits/veggies and it paid off. That said, eventually I learned how to remake some of my favorite dishes because I missed them so much :smile: I do believe in moderation for the very point that Acg67 said, being too restrictive makes it hard to stick to. Now let me just say one thing, I hate the word diet because it suggests something other than the lifestyle change you need to make to be successful. I did not diet, I changed how I ate and how I lived. I've lost and kept off more than 100 pounds by sticking to that lifestyle. Now I'm no angel and I love a good hamburger as much as the next person so once a week I have a major cheat meal. It can be whatever I want and as much as I want, there are no rules. By doing this I've found I am more inclined to really watch what I eat the rest of the week and normally the day after a meal like that, my body craves healthy food LOL

14467045.png
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm an "everything in moderation" kind of person, because what I'm looking for is long-term fitness and health. Diets have an endpoint. Leading a healthy life doesn't. Well, I guess it does in that we all die someday, I just want that day to be as far as possible from now.

If there's no room in my life to occasionally overindulge in things I love (like beer and pasta), then I feel like I'm taking something out of my life. I'd rather add MORE things in, like running and biking. I'm definitely in the "eat big and work hard" school, and not in the "eat a little bit and slave for hours on the treadmill at low intensity" school.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would HIGHLY recommend Fat 2 Fit Radio. Look at their website and listen to their podcasts. They are free. ;-)

Love those guys! They read an email I had sent them a couple of months ago...they rock!
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    Everything in moderation is what works for me. Along with cutting out or at least cutting back on the stuff that's WORSE for you (ie fast foods, fatty foods, etc). I lost nearly 10 pounds before stress caught up with me at the end of last year by eating in moderation and exercising every day. :)
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is one "correct" answer, as different people are geared differently, and thrive with different options. So you need to see what works for you.

For me personally, I use Moderation. This is a lifestyle change for me, not a temp fix. I want food options I can live with, and I like to enjoy eating, and life. My family and I all share the same home, and foods. I don't feel they should be forced to "diet". And I don't want to "never again have........"

I use commonsense, and endever to choose good nutrient dense food options, that taste good and fit my macro and calorie goals, most days.

My family and I eat the same food items. We eat things we like, within common sense and reason.

I personally do not feel any food is evil of forbidden, but If I am going to eat that cookie, cake, pizza , ***insert bad food of choice*** then it needs to fall into my macro and calorie goals for that day. (if possible)

Or gets slotted to my "free day" - which is once a week for me, and the day I can goto the movies and have the large coke and candy and theater popcorn, and a meal after of cheesy Mexican food - or whatever, with out sweating it. :)

I am a very disciplined personality type however, and anal, so for me this works. I can limit portion sizes if needed, to make sure that I do eat one small handful of chocolate chips - not a whole bag. (and I count them in my food log)

If I forbid any food, then next thing you know thats ALL I crave and all I can think about. Better to eat it and get it over with. And someday, you just have to have that hugh bowl of ice cream or whatever, even if I go over my numbers that day. Thats okay too - I just make a habit not to do it everyday, and get back on track the next day.

I tried the Atkins Diet once, I DID lose weight - but the carb cravings made me insane. All I could think about was french toast, popcorn etc. Every diet was a temp fix for me, and I felt sad and deprived.

With moderation, if I want French Toast with butter, powdered sugar, a glass of milk and bacon - I have it. Not daily, as it will not fit my macro and cal goals, But once in a while - no problem. I feel better mentally and physically - and don't feel starved, or depressed because I have to avoid everything I like.

I generally eat "decently" probably 80 percent of the time, but I personally am not an all organic, all natural, no processed food person. That does not work for me, my family, or my goals. And I personally do not feel it is a requirement to be healthy or lose weight. (nor does my Dr based on my excellent lab results yearly)
    I have lost 50-60 pounds total.

^^^ditto that. Not too long ago I was very restrictive and lost 20 pounds. Then I ate "normally" again and gained it all back plus some. Now I'm doing things differently. I know the weight will come off slower, but since I am not restricting anything I think I can do this for life! Not to mention I feel better, and have more energy for my workouts!
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    This is my own personal situation but I went from not being the best eater to eating 1400 calories and less than 10g of fat a day. Fast forward to an endoscopy and a sonagram and I was on the verge of gallstones because of that huge swing.

So, I am reading up on healthy living, etc by starting with Dr. Oz's You, the Owner's Manual, and will continue to educate myself.

I don't want to be on the meds my doctor prescribed me for this condition. I want to lose weight and get in optimum health but I want to be sensible, so NO DIET ever again.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I can't eat certain foods in moderation, so I have strict days where I cut certain foods out and other days where I allow myself to freely consume.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think everything in moderation is best. I always try to keep the foods I like in my diet, just smaller amounts of it. Depriving myself of things seems to make me crave it even more!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Moderation... or lifestyle change, but no dieting. That's worked for me and I've lost over 100 pounds and kept it off for two years.

I decided when I started losing weight I would only make changes I could live with for a lifetime. That means eating smart and occasionally indulging in my favorite foods (in mderation, of course).

The trick is to find something that works for you and that you can live with. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would HIGHLY recommend Fat 2 Fit Radio. Look at their website and listen to their podcasts. They are free. ;-)
    I love this website!!!!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    MFP setting will get you started with the basic calorie range, though aim for something like 1 pound a week, rather then 2 lbs a week, to make it less restrictive. You lose a bit slower, but will likely be happier. Depending on how close you are to your goal weight, you loss will/may slow some anyway.

There are also any number of basic online calorie calculators that will provide a range for you based on your lifestyle.

With the workouts I do (intense) MFP is to low for me, unless I add back "some" of my exercise calories, and I have had to play with the numbers a bit to find the correct range for me, where I still lose fat, (more slowly) and yet can maintain and build on some lean muscle as well.

I just look at standard suggested ranges for me online, and that gives me the high and low, and I worked with those, adjusting calorie levels 100 cal extra a day - going two weeks or more with each change to see how things worked out with gain, loss, exercise strength gain, fatigue etc.

I still play with my numbers from time to time as needed.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Diets suck!