Emotional Eating...how do you cope?

Options
I am realizing more and more that all I want to do when I get sad is eat. It seems to make everything better. I know I should not be dealing with my emotions through eating but was wondering what techniques others have used to cope instead of running for the chocolate? Any advise would be appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• eklopez14
    eklopez14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling with this too, I also eat when stressed!!! Thanks for posting... very interested in seeing responses.
  • Lolitasboss
    Lolitasboss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just blast music in my earphones and go for a walk or dance c:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing that replaces emotional eating for me is exercise. Nothing like a good hard gym workout to get my spirits up. If I can't get to the gym, yoga usually works for me too. The focus on myself in the here and now, and not my problems really helps out a lot.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I usually eat more when I'm happy! When I'm upset, i lose my appetite. I should get upset more often.:grumble:
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I always want to eat when I feel upset! I have been trying to only allow myself healthier snacks if I absolutely cannot resist. Sugar free jello is my favorite go-to snack. I recently started getting into jogging and I have noticed that when I am upset, I just want to go do that to clear my head.
  • vomma2
    vomma2 Posts: 13
    Options
    I do this too. Whenever I am stressed, I eat. Just knowing this and acknowledging is a good start. I also know that night-time is a dangerous time for me (I'm a night-time snacker). When I start getting those urges, I dring a large glass of water. Also, I don't beat myself up anymore when I can't resist the urge. I try to get back on track the next day, and maybe try to exercise a little bit more. Hopefully soon, the food urges will subside, and the "healthy choices" will come naturally. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'll glady cheer you on, and hope you will do the same for me! :)
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm in that spiral right now...overeating due to general sadness, job stress, anxiety, etc. Right now I have my bf texting me reminders not to eat for any other reason than being hungry. It's helping a bit.

Also, I've banned my go-to "comfort" foods. I don't believe in lifelong banning of anything, but during these periods I find it easier when I can't stuff my face with sugar sugar sugar. So for now I'm not eating that stuff and when I'm in a better mental place, I'll bring it back in moderation. Because once I start with that stuff, its hard to stop.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello!!! You can eat two boxes worth for 80 cals, it's sweet, & very filling. If you can eat anything after polishing off a giant bowl of this I'll be impressed!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I would advise seeking an emotional freedom techniques therapist. They will get to the heart of the matter and help you to deal with the underlying causes for your addiction to eating.

Or sugar-free jello. :-D (I'm open-minded.)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I would advise seeking an emotional freedom techniques therapist. They will get to the heart of the matter and help you to deal with the underlying causes for your addiction to eating.

Or sugar-free jello. :-D (I'm open-minded.)

Jello is cheaper! ;-)
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ya- just eat something different like jello, or 100 calorie bag of popcorn, or vegetables. Personally i feel guilty when i go over my calorie allowance. Emotional is my middle name, lol!

Have you tried doing something else like a craft?
  • jkfe
    jkfe Posts: 3
    Options
    Jello is a good option if you're the type of emotional eater that likes sweets or "soft" type foods. I myself am more of a texture/crunch eater. I usually look to exercise or do some other kind of activity to keep my mind off eating, but if that fails, I usually try to keep raw veg like celery or cauliflower handy. I have indulged in not so healthy foods, but will get right back out of the crater I fell in and keep on going.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Honestly the exercise really helps me with this, even if it is just for a walk. The more I exercise the more I don't want to sabotage my goals by eating the wrong foods.

However, there is sadness and then there's depression. Work out which one is affecting you and then search for a solution, good luck to you!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I just blast music in my earphones and go for a walk or dance c:

This!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Do you like to write? Try writing about what your going thru. I love to write and have several blogs that I use to help me cope.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been my saviour!!! The gym & cycling but chiefly running!! I have also made friends through the gym classes. I put most of my weight on through emotional eating & not being happy with myself. I have started to look at food more positively as fuel for my running etc so think about what I am actually eating more.

I'm not saying I don't ever eat junk food but I am far pickier about what the junk food is & don't eat it often. I also stopped buying treats I like (just the ones hubby likes) as I find I don't want them if theyre not in the house calling my name!!!!

Running has helped my general mental state, self worth & well being. I would be lost without it.

Obviously what has worked for me won't be everyones cup of tea so find something that will take ur mind off food for the sake of food & am sure you will soon find it gets easier!!

Keep going you will get there!! :flowerforyou: