This food will be my downfall.

Options
I love pasta. All types of pastas. I wish I lived in Italy so I could eat Italian food 24/7. (I also wish I had the metabolism to eat it all the time. ) Weeellll. I can't control myself with it. The 2oz serving doesn't fill me up, so I rarely eat it since I started dieting. So I decided tonight to just give it up for a long time. Every time I eat it, I eat waaayy too much, then proceed to binge eat afterward. I have no idea why and I just can't understand why I won't stop eating.
So I've decided to give up pasta for awhile for a good while until I feel like I can possibly control myself. It was great tonight... but my affair with pasta is over for now.

Replies

• Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    when you say pasta do you say sparghetti? i am having trouble figuring out the ammounts! i love pasta too and i eat it regulary and i keep loosing weight quite fast! and belive me anything i eat gets to me
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    when you say pasta do you say sparghetti? i am having trouble figuring out the ammounts! i love pasta too and i eat it regulary and i keep loosing weight quite fast! and belive me anything i eat gets to me

All types: spaghetti, fettacine, rotini, linguine.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Awhh that is sad I am married to an Italian and he says that pasta shoud be eaten as a side dish and not the main meal. Go figure (but I am with you pasta is one of my downfalls too):huh:
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i love my pasta too. But I hate my love handles, so I have switched to spaghetti squash. It is soooo yummy & guilt free! :laugh:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    measure, before cooking, that way you cannot over do it! It is a good carb, in moderation. 1 cup of cooked pasta is alright!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky I don't like pasta at all :bigsmile: But I do like frozen yogurt a little TOO much!

~Leash :heart:
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Same problem!! I could eat pasta all day. And it doesn't help that so many Italian foods are a combination of Pasta and CHEESE. I totally feel your pain on this one, but I don't think I have the courage to give it up entirely. I'm considering going for whole wheat pasta instead for a while. If I can get used to it, it'll be a healthier alternative and I'll still be able to get my carb fix.
    I wish you luck with your pasta problems!
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    in portugal it exists an integral pasta that hast lower callories, i would say to look for those out
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I just ate a cup of cooked whole wheat pasta. It's awesome. When u put sauce on it, u never can tell the difference.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Have any of you tried the House Foods Shirataki noodles? I found them through the Hungry Girl cookbook. They're tofu, but don't let the word *tofu* scare you! :laugh: I love pasta too, and I'm not going to try to tell you that these are just as good, but they're not bad at all. They're sold (at least at my grocery store) with the other tofu stuff... tofu "chicken patties" etc... but they're in the fridge. After I heard about them I spent SO long looking for them with the pasta aisle, but they're refrigerated and come in a pouch with noodles and a liquid in them. You boil water, dump them in for a few minutes to get rid of the tofu smell, and then serve them like regular pasta- I made them with olive oil, diced tomatos, garlic and grated Parmesan cheese on it- it was awesome!! :love:

Even if you have the real deal every other time, and then alternate these it will help you cut back... just a thought :flowerforyou:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I Love Pasta.....So much I just eat it every once in a while, because once I start eatting it I can't stop:grumble:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Pasta is a real trigger food for me to over eat, so i just avoid it. Like you said, I can't seem to stop at a small portion. I realize that's not much help to you, just letting you know your not alone with this issue.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I love pasta. All types of pastas. I wish I lived in Italy so I could eat Italian food 24/7. (I also wish I had the metabolism to eat it all the time. ) Weeellll. I can't control myself with it. The 2oz serving doesn't fill me up, so I rarely eat it since I started dieting. So I decided tonight to just give it up for a long time. Every time I eat it, I eat waaayy too much, then proceed to binge eat afterward. I have no idea why and I just can't understand why I won't stop eating.
    So I've decided to give up pasta for awhile for a good while until I feel like I can possibly control myself. It was great tonight... but my affair with pasta is over for now.

I DO live in Italy and you don't have to give it up. It can be eaten on a regular basis......it is recommended for lunch rather than dinner and the portion should be controlled (I limit it to no more than 80 grams). What you can do to enjoy it and make it seem that you are eating more pasta is load it with vegetables. I chop them (you can use pretty much any kind that you like), sauteè in ONE tbsp of olive oil, then add the cooked pasta. OR......sauteè onion, add a small amount of tomatoe sauce and basil. Only problem is that the plate seems smaller and might not make you feel "full". People eat pasta here everyday and I have watched the "diet" shows here and pasta, white at that, is recommended everyday. So it is possible to have your pasta and your waist line as well.

It is also true that pasta here is served as a first dish. That dish should be a smaller portion (even as small as 50 grams) and the second dish should be some form of meat and grilled or steamed veges. That way you CAN eat something afterward and feel full and satisified.

Yesterday for lunch for me and my daughter, I made us each 70 grams of whole wheat pasta, one sliced zucchini that I boiled first in the water before adding the pasta in with it, then 1 teaspoon of olive oil and about 20 grams of parmesan cheese. We were both full afterward, but it was low enough in calories to handle a small second dish.

Best of luck.
  • Katy009
    Options
    in portugal it exists an integral pasta that hast lower callories, i would say to look for those out

Integrale pasta in the US is whole wheat pasta. :smile:
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I always eat whole wheat pasta. Mm. I'm definately going to try those Shirataki noodles and see how I like those.
    Thanks for those suggestions Katy. It's 8AM and it already sounds delicious. =D
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I know that eating at a restaurant is rarely the solution but it seems to me that the biggest problem here is portion control. Perhaps every so often budgeting in a little extra calories and then visiting an upscale italian restaurant that serves pasta as more of a side than the feature would help you control portions. I know there's one like that in Indiana that I go to frequently. The meat or eggplant in my case is the biggest thing on the plate, and the pasta is just there to accompany it. It might help you avoid the "binge" as they only bring you what they bring you.

Hope that helps! :smile:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I just ate a cup of cooked whole wheat pasta. It's awesome. When u put sauce on it, u never can tell the difference.
    I love pasta too! We eat it about once a week. I've tried the whole wheat pasta and I don't like the texture and I keep trying to eat it because I know it's healthier. Wish I liked it.
  • marsb0214
    Options
    Has anyone tried SHIRATAKI?????.. It has helped me big time. I loooove pasta, but im a diabetic and carbs make my sugars really high!!! I found this product at an Asian market.. it's made out of tofu and it comes ready to eat.. all you have to do is rinse and mix in with whatever sauce you'd like or with veggies. Two servings in a bag at 20 cals per serving.. Try it out and let me know what you think:laugh:
  • Katy009
    Options
    I love pasta too! We eat it about once a week. I've tried the whole wheat pasta and I don't like the texture and I keep trying to eat it because I know it's healthier. Wish I liked it.

Maybe you have already, but you really need to try different brands. Some are awful and some are better than regular, white pasta. My favorite is Barilla and I know you can find that in the US. I tried about 8 different brands before I found one that I liked.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Wheat pasta with pesto sauce and reduced fat parmesan cheese YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM