bench press help?

Options
2»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Dont get all wrapped up in the B*ll**** Bench press Huupla. Use Dumbells. Builds muscles faster anyways. AND WHO cares how much you can bench??? If u haz muscles, flex uhm!

Exactly what this guy said.

I agree with the not getting caught-up in the fascination with bench press strength that seems to dominate gyms. Ease into and build, patience is important. But the statement regarding Dumbells build muscle faster is ridiculous. Bilateral exercises are not always better than Unilateral and vice versa. Ideally there would be a balance of maximal strength lifting with the barbell bench and non-maximal strength lifting with dumbells.

Also, exercises that improve supporting muscle groups of the bench press are important too.
    - Triceps
    - Traps
    - Lats
    - Rear Deltoids.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Learn the correct form first. Then add appropriate weight till you can do 10 perfect reps. Stick with that till you get used to feeling the right mechanics of the lift. Then gradually increase the weight till you can only complete 10 reps again. Once you've mastered the movement, then you attack the higher weights to build strength. It may take a few weeks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This!! :happy:
  • Akrapko
    Akrapko Posts: 4
    Options
    Or try low weight high reps, slowly up the weight but keep the high reps. You'll gain more defined muscle less bulk.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I was ecstatic to learn how to bench press with no rotator cuff problems. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    In the bench press there are 3 main areas that people have trouble with. These are pop off the chest, the midpoint area where your elbows are at about 90 degrees and the lockout. Lets cover which muscles are holding these areas back.

Off the chest:
    Most probable weak point is the pectorals, followed by the shoulders then the lats. Incline dumbbell presses (any angle will do) will really help with starting strength off the chest. Don't forget to use a full range of motion and get a good stretch at the bottom, that's why you're using dumbbells! With the dumbbells you get an increased range of motion (more lower end work), it works your shoulders more (weak point at bottom) and increases bar
    stabilisation and arm coordination. Press with the dumbbells facing each other as this mimics the elbow tuck you should be using.

Midway:
    Anterior deltoids will be the main issue, but training your external rotators and lats will vastly help with this common sticking point.

Lockout:
    Triceps
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Dont get all wrapped up in the B*ll**** Bench press Huupla. Use Dumbells. Builds muscles faster anyways. AND WHO cares how much you can bench??? If u haz muscles, flex uhm!

I agree with the not getting caught-up in the fascination with bench press strength that seems to dominate gyms. Ease into and build, patience is important. But the statement regarding Dumbells build muscle faster is ridiculous. Bilateral exercises are not always better than Unilateral and vice versa. Ideally there would be a balance of maximal strength lifting with the barbell bench and non-maximal strength lifting with dumbells.

Also, exercises that improve supporting muscle groups of the bench press are important too.
    - Triceps
    - Traps
    - Lats
    - Rear Deltoids.

OOPS forgot the supporting muscle groups as well in my post.... GOOD POST there. First time I exceeded my 1 rep max I was supersetting a push pull workout with bench press and lat pull down.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I just started lifting in the last couple of weeks, steady. I started with 8lbs and moved to 15lbs. I was doing 10 sets of 10. I just put on the other 5 for a total of 20lbs each. Is that to much of a increase. Note: Could not do but 5 sets of 10.
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Learn the correct form first. Then add appropriate weight till you can do 10 perfect reps. Stick with that till you get used to feeling the right mechanics of the lift. Then gradually increase the weight till you can only complete 10 reps again. Once you've mastered the movement, then you attack the higher weights to build strength. It may take a few weeks.

IDEA Fitness member

Absolutely AGREE!!!

There are some exercises you can do which will also increase your bench press strength. These exercises build on the specific upper, outer, and lower muscle areas of your pectorial (your pecs/chest). Don't worry about how much weight you can throw up, just throw up weight as the poster I've quoted above. It's solid advice.

1. Cable Crossover or Butterfly
    2. Decline Benchpress
    3. Military Press
    4. Dumbell Flat Bench Press
    5. Incline Dumbbell Press
    6. Push Ups using Push up bars
    7. Dips

Last but not least, DO NOT BENCH PRESS WITHOUT A SPOTTER!!! 1. You'll get strength gains from pushing through or to a one rep max with assistance. 2. SAFETY and correction of your form should your strength decrease to a "muscle lock out".

^^^^ Yes... and if you can't get a spotter, use a smith machine (ask a worker at the gym how to use it if you don't know how)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Or try low weight high reps, slowly up the weight but keep the high reps. You'll gain more defined muscle less bulk.

Not true, this will give you more endurance, but will not make your muscles defined, that takes either larger muscles or less fat over the muscle to do.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    so i am kinda big guy
    i am 251 pounds and stand at 6 feet even
    and have a big upper body or normal
    but i can bench maybe 70-90 at best

so i am asking tips on getting better and stronger
    do i keep going low weights until the body gets use to it?

what to do

It depends on what you want to achieve. Strength, size or a one rep max and are you doing this at home or in a gym. Bodybuilders tend to flex while lifting to get a good pump. Powerlifters to the tee have the best form for strength and one rep max. Be careful what advice you receive on here not all is correct. Do research and at least have a good spotter to help you, one that is qualified or with more experience. A spotter that knows you and what you can do.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Lolno. Go back to /fit/.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    OP...search out and do Bill Starr's 5x5 program.
    find the one that has the interactive spreadsheet, plug in your numbers, round to the highest weight, and do it for 9 weeks like it says. Last summer I went from benching 285 to 405 in 9 weeks.

If you have a weak tricep your bench will suffer. So dont skip triceps. And like mentioned by others, form is important. Get that down first, the rest comes later.

Oh, I hold no medical degress...but been lifting for 20 years, competed in strongman events, and, in my youth, bench a 565 max, so I offer this advice from experience, not what I read or learned in class.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    As many people mentioned, tuck your shoulders and keep a slight arch. Try to increase the weight as often as possible while maintaining good form and hitting your desired reps. Everyone has their preferred rep range (usually 12 or under is agreed upon). From interviews I've seen and some reading it seems like 5's give the best of both hypertrophy and strength.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

First post? I smell a troll.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^ This

Ditto. Dont worry about the weight. Focus on form first. Proper form will help prevent injuries. Check out Dave Tate on Youtube for proper form.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    OP...search out and do Bill Starr's 5x5 program.
    find the one that has the interactive spreadsheet, plug in your numbers, round to the highest weight, and do it for 9 weeks like it says. Last summer I went from benching 285 to 405 in 9 weeks.

If you have a weak tricep your bench will suffer. So dont skip triceps. And like mentioned by others, form is important. Get that down first, the rest comes later.

Oh, I hold no medical degress...but been lifting for 20 years, competed in strongman events, and, in my youth, bench a 565 max, so I offer this advice from experience, not what I read or learned in class.

So are you still competing or no? I will be in the fall its been 12 years since I have and just started back 4 months ago. I will be in the drug free masters class. Its gonna be a blast....
  • JNick77
    Options
    Or try low weight high reps, slowly up the weight but keep the high reps.

Bodybuilders typically use higher rep-schemes when on a bulk, that whole high-rep thing is a myth.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I was ecstatic to learn how to bench press with no rotator cuff problems. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html

Nice post
  • JNick77
    Options

- Triceps
    - Traps
    - Lats
    - Rear Deltoids.

OOPS forgot the supporting muscle groups as well in my post.... GOOD POST there. First time I exceeded my 1 rep max I was supersetting a push pull workout with bench press and lat pull down.

That's awesome. I don't recall who it was but they wanted to demonstrate how much the lats play into the bench. They had me hold my arms in bench position and then flex my lats and I was surprised to see my arms move a little bit forward in the bench motion.

There's really a lot to it depending on how involved you want to get.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump