Looking to tone muscle not biuld it

Options
Hi all,

I am looking to tome up my muscle not build it as I lose weight. Please post what has worked for you the best I would love to hear!! (Read LOL)

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights. Trust me, if you are losing weight, it will be nearly impossible to build muscle. But the lifting high weights with low reps (I've been doing 3 sets of 8 reps with as heavy as I can lift weight) will help make those muscles pop under your skin.
    Also, Jillian Michaels's workouts are awesome! Tough, but totally worth it. I can't lift heavy there, but a lot of the exercises are body weight based.
    Finally, yoga. All that stretching and lengthening, feels good and makes my body slim! And helps me FEEL thin too.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lift heavy weights, eat at a moderate deficit and cardio.

i'm one of those body types that gains muscle easily, but i'm having nice results with my plan. because i'm eating at at deficit, i'm not gaining new muscle, but i'm still lifting heavy enough that i'm gaining strength. plus fat is coming off nicely. i've only lost 20 pounds but i've lost 2 pant sizes and even my problem areas (thunder thighs) are slimming down.

ETA: i wanted to agree with lizard about incorporating yoga. i do 1 session a week just to help make sure my muscles stay loose and flexible after those heavy weights
  • momtomanygirls
    momtomanygirls Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    when you say eat at a deficit what exactly does that mean? I am totally new to it all. I have tried so many things.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    thee are few ways to figure your deficit

- plug in your information in MFP and it will calculate your daily calorie needs (based on your height, weight activity level, etc) and then subtract a deficit based on how many pounds you want to lose each week. on MFP's plan you have to eat back your exercise calories

- use a tool like the one here : http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ that will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain your goal weight. i prefer this way so I can already start working on my maintenance plan.
  • momtomanygirls
    momtomanygirls Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thanks so much! i appreciate it!