Novice signing up for a 5K

Options
Okay, so I've never been athletic my whole life. I've never run (maybe for 30 seconds), and I was never into sports. But now I suddenly realize the importance of physical activity to stay healthy and I want to be an avid runner. I'm planning to run a 5K in October, and I'm currently able to run at 3-5 minutes at a time while screaming "DO IT!" I'm so glad I don't have to do this at the gym! Thank goodness the treadmill is in the garage. I'm adding 7lbs to my wrists while I run and plan to add more. Today was not quite 2 miles in 30 minutes with the weights and at an incline.

I have a few questions:

1. How much time a day/week did you dedicate to training for your 5K's? (I'm a mom of littles, and I've given myself permission to take 30 minutes a day to exercise. Do I need more than that?)

2. On the days leading up to the race, what do you do to prepare? (water intake, food intake, activity levels, supplements, etc.)

3. On race day, what do you pack/ wear/ eat, etc.

I know this is "just" a 5K, but it is a super big deal to me. And I also realize that this is all the way in October. But since I know nothing, I figured I'd give myself plenty of time to figure this out. Maybe I'll surprise myself and be ready early!
Thanks for any tips! I'm also looking to add a few more friends if anyone wanted to add me. Thanks!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think you'll end up wanting more time than that. I have 3 kids. At this point, when I run it's for AT LEAST an hour at a time.

On days before long runs, I have a rest day before (at least for running), and generally I will eat more heavy on the carbs and protein the day before and the morning before.

5k isn't that long, so I don't take water or fuel on those runs. Just comfortable clothes. :)
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone get the couch to 5k program she yells at you when it is time to run, starts out slow and you will be ready I use the 10k it takes 14 weeks for that. No phone for the 3.1 miles walk then run as fast as you con back and forth till you can at least jog the whole time. Race day eat a good breakfast with soild carbs, drink lots of water, and dont wear the shirt they give you. I will be praying for your trainning to go well
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k program is fabulous for training in 30 minute increments! 5 minutes of warmup, 20 minutes of interval walking/jogging, and 5 minutes cooldown.
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    I can't imagine not needing water for a 5k! I drink 2-3 24oz bottles of water during a 1.5 mile run/walk. <
    This is the whimp talking though.