I'm learning that confidence....

Options
.....is more important than a number. At least, it is to me. I recently came across this poem that I wrote in college for an Eating Disorders class I was taking for my Addictionology Certificate. It made me think about how even though health and fitness IS important, it is also important to love ourselves for who we are, not for who we want to be. And in doing that, it will be easier to make changes in order to achieve health and fitness so that we can be better, and not just so we can start liking ourselves.
(Disclaimer: it has references to my husband because I was married when I wrote it)

One of These Days

One of these days I am going to come to terms
with the fact that my butt is bigger than my husband's,
that his jeans probably will never fit over my birthing hips,
and that I am not a perfect 32-24-34 hourglass.

One of these days I am going to
strip naked with confidence,
instead of waiting for the lights to be out
so my cellulite won't be seen.

One of these days I am going to look at myself
in the shower and think, "Man, I'm HOT!!"
Instead of hanging my head
and counting my numerous flaws.

One of these days I'm not going to care
that my boobs are getting closer to my belly button,
and are not even close to where God intended them
without the aid of an expensive bra.

One of these days I'm going to look at my belly
and see the beauty in the life that it housed,
and not see the stretch marks
that are evidence of its growth.

One of these days....
Probably not today, maybe not tomorrow.
Possibly not even next week.
But one of these days I will start living life as I am,
and stop waiting for life to start when I am happy with
what I look like.

Replies

• Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Amen! :happy:
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    LOVE it.
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! :)
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome poem, and really strikes home for me. When I was pregnant with my second I got huge, 282 lbs huge. There is no coming back from that for my body. No matter what weight I lose or how fit I become, I will always, always have skin reminding me of how big I've been, but also reminding me of where I've come from. I try to look at it in a positive note, I'd rather have skin than rolls, I'd rather be healthy than huffing and in pain when I go somewhere, unable to enjoy my life with my family. Thank you for posting this and reminding all of us to love our imperfections :)
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    @walden, I hear ya, sister. My views changed pretty quick when I was talking to a good friend of mine who has two BEAUTIFUL daughters -- both of whom are adopted -- because she can't have children. I was pissing and moaning about my tummy flab and she looked at me with longing and said, "I wouldn't trade my girls for anything in the world, but you have no idea how much I would love to be able to complain about a wrecked baby body." A little perspective never hurts, right? So congrats on your baby body, because you earned it! And good luck with getting all fabulous-er. :bigsmile: