Does Propel count as Water?

Options

Replies

• britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    i count it...i cant stand to drink plain water, i use the propel zero paks that you add to water. i dilute it more than the directions so its not to strong tasting but still has a flavor.
  • Parsosa
    Parsosa Posts: 22
    Options
    I have been thinking about that very question also. However, I am a chemistry major and it was once told to me that once you add ANYTHING to water it takes on other properties and therefore is altered. So if you would not count tea, coffee or say reconstituted juice as water intake so why are we counting "flavored" water. If you look at the label and there are ingredients that YOU dont know what exactly they are, then I would not count it. You also do not count water from foods eaten in you daily water intake such as watermelon. I avoid using crystal light in my water intake even though I prefer the flavors of the crystal light. But it reminds me of kool aid so I just dont do it. Hope this helps.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Whichever liquids you choose to count as water are totally up to you. :drinker:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's water with other things added to it. The water portion of it is still water that is usable by your body.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    lol, no. Only water is water. Your BODY would not see "water" with added stuff to it as water.

Does this mean when I add a slice of lemon it's no longer water? Dang all those times I thought I was drinking water..

:grumble: :laugh:
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Your BODY would not see "water" with added stuff to it as water.

Do you have some facts to back this up? I'm pretty sure that if I put sugar in my water, my body is going to ingest water regardless.

It's not sugar, though. (there is no sugar in Propel) Propel has a list of artificial preservatives and colorings. It's your choice if you want to put that in your body but the question of "is it water" should obviously answered when your "Water" has an ingredient list.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Propel is definitely water.

I didn't know water had preservatives in it!

Let's agree that is is 99% water, 1% "stuff".

Log 99% of a cup of water per 8oz of Propel, and log 1% as "quick add calories - chemicals" in your food log. Problem solved.

:laugh:
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    i would count it as calories up with the food and also as water intake...

^^ This. I do crystal light and other flavors in my water. I add the 10 calories it adds up top & then I also add it to my water intake.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    lol, no. Only water is water. Your BODY would not see "water" with added stuff to it as water. Just going a google search for the ingredients....does this look like water?

Water, Sucrose Syrup, Citric Acid, Natural Kiwi And Strawberry Flavors With Other Natural Flavors. Sodium Citrate, Passion Citrate, Sucralose, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protects Freshness), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6, Acesulfame Potassium, Vitamin B12.

EDTA IS A PRESERVATIVE!
    from: http://www.livestrong.com/article/287624-propel-fitness-water-facts/

It also contains sodium hexametophosphate and calcium disodium EDTA to protect the water's flavoring. Potassium sorbate preserves the freshness of the water and helps extend its shelf life. Other ingredients include sodium citrate, acesulfame potassium and sucralose. Sucralose, also known as Splenda, is used to sweeten Propel fitness water and is reported to be 600 times sweeter than table sugar.

NOT WATER!
    Your body is capable of extracting the water from the Propel (or soda/coffee etc) and using it to hydrate. I'm not saying that everything that is added to water is good for you, but most fluids can be counted as water.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    lol, no. Only water is water. Your BODY would not see "water" with added stuff to it as water. Just going a google search for the ingredients....does this look like water?

Water, Sucrose Syrup, Citric Acid, Natural Kiwi And Strawberry Flavors With Other Natural Flavors. Sodium Citrate, Passion Citrate, Sucralose, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protects Freshness), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6, Acesulfame Potassium, Vitamin B12.

EDTA IS A PRESERVATIVE!

It also contains sodium hexametophosphate and calcium disodium EDTA to protect the water's flavoring. Potassium sorbate preserves the freshness of the water and helps extend its shelf life. Other ingredients include sodium citrate, acesulfame potassium and sucralose. Sucralose, also known as Splenda, is used to sweeten Propel fitness water and is reported to be 600 times sweeter than table sugar.

NOT WATER!

Thank you!!!!!!!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

EDTA IS A PRESERVATIVE!

NOT WATER!

Propel contains mostly water. The body is perfectly capable of using the water in Propel. Are the other ingredients good for you? Probably not, but that doesn't stop the body using the water part of it. Adding stuff to water doesn't make it not water. It's just water + stuff.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Water, is water. Nothing more. Nothing less.
  • texasyarngirl
    Options
    According to the dietician I worked with - only water is water. You can add fresh lemon or lime - but that's all. If it's processed, manufactured, etc - you body doesn't use it the same way. It's up to you, of course, but IMHO - you should be drinking your water intake goal over and above any Propel.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    First, I don't log my water. It's a useless stat, disproved as inaccurate, and I'm not about to obsess over my 64oz per day. You get water into your body from a variety of sources. Your food can provide a significant portion of your required water, along with other beverages, including plain water.

If you want to log it, go for it. Remember 6 billion ways to live your life. Until we all have to start posting our medical degrees with our comments, read every comment (including mine) with a HUGE grain of salt.

Cheers, and enjoy your beverage of choice!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Your body is capable of extracting the water from the Propel (or soda/coffee etc) and using it to hydrate. I'm not saying that everything that is added to water is good for you, but most fluids can be counted as water.

Caffeine free tea can be counted as water.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Yes...All it is, is flavored water w/some additives in it....It's mainly just water, log it for the calories if it does have any but also put it as your water intake also. :)
  • HealthyBride5_3_13
    Options
    i would count it as calories up with the food and also as water intake...

^^This
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Your BODY would not see "water" with added stuff to it as water.

Do you have some facts to back this up? I'm pretty sure that if I put sugar in my water, my body is going to ingest water regardless.

It's not sugar, though. (there is no sugar in Propel) Propel has a list of artificial preservatives and colorings. It's your choice if you want to put that in your body but the question of "is it water" should obviously answered when your "Water" has an ingredient list.

I was just using that as an example... You body has complicated filters that and will get the water it needs whether or not there is "stuff" in it. The idea of drinking so much "water" a day is for hydration. There are tons of articles stating you can count the soup you had for lunch as "water" because the fluid in it hydrates you. There is salt, seasonings, and all sorts of things in soup. I just was wondering where your statement came from. I've never seen anything that says your body will only see pure water (which rarely exists) as water.
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What about water with mio? Or sugar free carbonated water?
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about that very question also. However, I am a chemistry major and it was once told to me that once you add ANYTHING to water it takes on other properties and therefore is altered. So if you would not count tea, coffee or say reconstituted juice as water intake so why are we counting "flavored" water. If you look at the label and there are ingredients that YOU dont know what exactly they are, then I would not count it. You also do not count water from foods eaten in you daily water intake such as watermelon. I avoid using crystal light in my water intake even though I prefer the flavors of the crystal light. But it reminds me of kool aid so I just dont do it. Hope this helps.

So if you ate an orange the same time you drank a glass of water you would not count the water cause the water is mixing with the orange in your gut and altering the water and making it "not water"