You SHOULD drink 8 CUPS of WATER A DAY!

Options
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Hey boys and girls! Check out this neato story by the Mayo clinic. It states us growing kids need wa-wa at least 64 oz a day! I hope this doesn't offend anyone!

Replies

• wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Ah yes. First, you formulate your opinion, then you find any article that validates it.
  • Suzieq5
    Suzieq5 Posts: 19
    Options
    No, it does not offend me. Makes sense to me. Can I be cheeky and ask for the recipe for sweet potato pie, sounds lovely:)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Did you read the article yourself?

"Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total. "

"Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight. In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water."
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Not at all!!! You The Man Ced.. xoxo

Yes Water is GREAT!!!!! had 17glasses today.... Bow chicka wow wow!!!

Here are something I have found Helpful about Drinking Water & wanted to Share with everyone...

What are the benefits of water?

There are a lot of claimed benefits of drinking water, but are they really that big a deal? Well as a former big time soda addict, let me share some of the changes I’ve personally noticed in my own body and health since giving up the soda and switching to water…

Healthier, younger looking skin: Now that I drink water regularly, my heels are not as dry and they don’t crack anymore. My nails and the cuticles around them are healthier too. The skin on my hands is soft again and less wrinkled, and I have noticed fewer to no breakouts on my face.

More energy: This is definitely true, especially during exercise. If I’m dehydrated, I feel more tired and sluggish. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day (be sure to sip not gulp) prehydrates my body, so when I work out, my body is ready and not dying of thirst 10 minutes into it.

Plus, this one is strange and I have no explanation for it, but I just feel lighter and cleaner when I drink water… must be just a mental mystique thing there.

Revving up the metabolism: I can’t say I’ve noticed any physical changes in regards to this one, but in its defense how am I to know what my metabolism is doing really. My body does work more efficiently well hydrated, so it makes sense that my metabolism may be working more efficiently too. As I said before, I do have more energy… I also read that if you drink ice cold water, your body has to work to heat it up, thus burning calories while ingesting none – sounds reasonable to me. Consequently, I list this one as a true benefit.

Helps buff and tough muscle: I haven’t noticed any of my muscles growing, but I’m not focused on body building. Randy strength trains though, and staying hydrated gives him more energy to lift. Consider, too, that a well hydrated body should be able to build muscle tissue more efficiently.

One benefit I have experienced since drinking more water is that I no longer have muscle cramps in my legs. I use to wake up with some terrible cramped up calves in the middle of the night – not anymore. I think my muscles are much happier hydrated with H2O.

Good working digestive pipes: This is a definite plus due to water! I won’t gross you out with my previous non-working issues, but I will tell you all the good things that have happened since. Most importantly, I can “go” regularly. And, when your body can ingest, digest, and move stuff out on a regular basis, a lot of the garbage you didn’t know you were storing moves out with the constant out flow, resulting in cleaner “pipes”. Because my digestion process is in an easy working type order, the evacuation zone is much happier too. ooOOook, enough on this subject…. I’m sure you get it.

A true weight loss aid: Yes, yes, yes! If you have more energy, get more from your workouts, and can better eliminate the food you eat, how could this not help you lose weight? Also consider, the body can hold quite a few pounds in… um well, undigested stuck food – gross again I know. Just think energize, burn, and work it out! You’ll be feeling great! My belly is so thankful and less bloated…

Which leads me to relief from boating and water retention: To me, it has always seemed funny that I should have to drink more water to eliminate water, but it’s true. The water you drink helps to flush out toxins and other reasons for your body to retain fluid… My feet use to swell up something awful, especially after working out sometimes. Drinking water has definitely helped me reduce water retention, and my feet are much happier too.

A natural appetite suppressant: If I’m dehydrated, I sometimes feel hungry. But, I wouldn’t say that drinking a glass of water erases my hunger pains. If my stomach is growling, water doesn’t tame it. But, drinking water with my meals does help me feel fuller, and I eat less. Therefore, I think it really helps when it comes to portion control and pigging out… I use to pig out A-LOT.

A body’s best natural body lube: Absolutely, 100% positively soooo true! My body functions much more efficiently when I’m hydrated.

If you’re not a fan of water, I hope this helps to change your mind. There are so many benefits to drinking H2O, plus now there are so many things to flavor up your water! I honestly can say, too, that drinking water helped me to kick my bad soda habit. I think the soda actually left me thirsty, but after drinking water I just wasn’t thirsty anymore.

If it isn’t already, make water your favorite drink… Why do you think Aquaman is so hot?

How much water should you drink???? 1oz for ever 2lbs you weigh.. so if you weigh 200lbs you should drink 100oz ect....
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Hey boys and girls! Check out this neato story by the Mayo clinic. It states us growing kids need wa-wa at least 64 oz a day! I hope this doesn't offend anyone!

People will always find something to be offended about! SMDH
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing that link — it lends some credibility to Mayo.

What I'm talking about is this part of the article: "Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total."

That's sorta right - the medical evidence for water consumption indicates that there is no need to drink that much water so I'm glad to see that Mayo is sharing that dirty little secret.

It would be more honest of Mayo to state the truth but they have their reasons.

There is no question that water is useful in losing weight because it helps reduce hung pangs and the urge to eat. That's it. The idea that it "flushes out sodium" is like saying "it helps keep you regular" - your body in going to flush sodium or whatever pretty much regardless of how much water you drink. It's wrong to think that the body is going to flush more sodium because a person drinks more water. That simply isn't how the human body works.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full