Down 40lbs as of today... pics

Options
KenDubya74
KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
My weight loss journey actually started in December of 2010, I was over 425lbs & hospitalized with Pulmonary Embolisms (I had several in my lungs, caused minor heart damage... I'm very lucky and blessed to still be here.) I lost a few pounds by walking but by Summer of 2011 temperatures here stayed in the triple digits for over 60 days. I quit walking altogether. I began to put some weight back on and by January of this year I was at 405lbs again. I finally got into gear and started walking again and watching what I ate and portion size. In February I got a gym membership and have been full force since then. As of this morning, I'm down 40lbs.

fatass.jpg
Oct. 10, 2010... My wedding day, a day I'm proud of but my size and the picture does put a damper on it. I was approximately 425lbs at the time.

fat.jpg
This picture was 3 days later aboard the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi, TX... two short months later I would come very close to death.

156904_10150350668085019_622675018_16559389_2530619_n.jpg
December 21, 2010... Day 6 in the hospital... my rock bottom. Pathetic.

hollyme.jpg
Just last week, nearly 40lbs down... life is getting better. IT DOES GET BETTER!

me368.jpg

me365.jpg
04/11/2012 - 40 lbs down!

me3652.jpg
04/11/2012

Normally I would be highly embarrassed to show my before pictures, but I'm at the point where it doesn't bother me much... that is where I've been. I've moved on and I'm not going back there again. My journey is far from over but I will get there in time.

"You can't quit until you try
You can't live until you die
You can't learn to tell the truth
Until you learn to lie

You can't breathe until you choke
You gotta laugh when you're the joke
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Just open your eyes
Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."

-- "Life is Beautiful" - Sixx:AM

Replies

• xmommyof2boysx
    xmommyof2boysx Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    awesome work!
  • kai0206
    kai0206 Posts: 14
    Options
    Congrats on the 40lbs!!! :)
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow! As a person who cares for cardiac patients on a daily basis, GREAT JOB!!!!! Keep it up
  • EyesOfBlue68
    Options
    way to keep pushing!!! Congrats to you on a great success! :-)
  • Jnt1979
    Jnt1979 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You are doing AWESOME!! I am so proud of you!! AND i am so glad that i have friends at work like you so we can lean on each other!!! Keep it up buddy!!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    wtg!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress. Stay with the program. You CAN do it!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Great job! Way to go, and congratulations!
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    well done
  • manasunshine
    Options
    good job. keep doing great!!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    This is what I send to new MFP friends; it might help you progress easier:

Welcome to my Heart Healthy World
    The Making of the New You

Welcome to the beginning of your new, healthier lifestyle. You have embarked on a great program where you are the only one “in charge” of your own personally developed nutrition and exercise program on My Fitness Pal (MFP).

From my age of 18 until the present, more than a 55 year adult life span, I have lost and re-gained from between 30 to 75 pounds in my life so many times (the yo-yo dieting syndrome), if I had not done that I would weigh over 800 pounds (IF I was still alive).

On 15 November 2010, a good friend and I were visiting ladies in our church and I was telling her how depressed I was over my frustration in trying to stop being overweight. She told me how one of her adult sons (she & her husband raised 10 children) had lost a whole lot of weight using this free online food and exercise diary program. I went home that afternoon and checked the web site carefully and said, “YES”! I started the program the next morning.

From that first day, 16 November 2010, I started accurately weighing or measuring (depending upon the food/fluid item), leveling off all excess quantities & recording it all on MFP. You may look at my photos and statistics and scoff while thinking that I didn’t have very much weight to lose. Please consider this, 35 extra pounds on my short, very small body frame is not much different than 75 or even 100 extra pounds on a taller person with a larger body frame. It has taken me more than nine very long, very slow months to shed all but the last 1.1 pounds.

To begin, you should have the proper tools for accuracy and ease of staying with your program. Those are:

A digital food scale
    An individual set of 4 measuring cups: ¼ c, 1/3 c, ½ c, 1 c
    An individual set of measuring spoons: ¼ tsp., ½ tsp., 1 tsp., 1 tblsp.
    A small, straight blade spatula or knife for leveling off all excess quantities

START THINKING DIFFERENTLY but do NOT think “diet”. Use the lighter, lower calorie mayonnaise (that has olive oil). Look at the various brands of lower calorie margarine spreads that also have olive oil. SHOP DIFFERENTLY in the SUPERMARKET. Allow a lot more time when you shop. Do NOT pick up items and put them in the shopping cart until you have carefully READ every single label. REMEMBER THIS: All ingredients are listed in order of highest quantity to lowest. If the first 4 items on the ingredients say: salt, sodium, corn syrup or any form of sugar, dextrose, maltose, or other sugar forms, buy something else. High sodium contents will prevent you from losing weight well & can cause water retention as well as cardiac overload. When we’re packing around all those extra pounds, our hearts are already over-worked. All our body systems work as a team so when one organ system is out of whack, so is everything else. Prepared or frozen foods are nearly always overloaded with sodium and fats. Low calorie is not always low sugar nor low fat. “Healthy” is not always labeled correctly. Once you become an avid “label reading shopper”, you will learn which items work best for you and which ones to avoid.

Beware of well-meaning family members, friends or even co-workers who think they know what is best for you. You are the only person who knows how you feel and what will help you become successful in achieving your personal healthy goal. I believe in your unique ability to be successful. You can and will succeed if you keep following your program faithfully by taking things one meal at a time/one day at a time on a continuous basis. I have had some former MFP users complain about “too much counting”. It does not take me any more extra time to take the proper measuring spoon to level off my single PORTION of mayonnaise or mustard that it used to by just dipping the spoon in the jar and dumping a lump of stuff on the plate, the food or the bread. Then we have, what I call, the “enablers”. Those are the people who consciously or even sub-consciously, are out to keep you from being successful. They’re the “Oh, just one little piece of this dessert I made just for you won’t hurt you”. Or, I made all your favorite recipes for your birthday, Christmas dinner, etc. Just tell them that you’ve developed some difficult ALLERGIES and are under medical supervision (do not tell them anything more than that). You don’t have to tell them that the “allergies” make you “break out in FAT”. Then we have the proverbial, “You’re getting so thin, you’re going to get sick and end up in the hospital” types. They may even try to carry on by telling medical horror stories how someone they knew who ended up dying because of blah, blah, etc. Change the subject quickly and keep the conversation light and comfortable.

MFP tells us how much of each items chosen is ONE PORTION. It is up to us to tell the computer how much of the portion we plan to have or did have. I call this program a “no brainer” because the computer does all the work for me. All I have to do is look up the item in the database and select the correct product. Watch out for all the idiots who’ve monkeyed around with the database by putting in their own screwball versions of many items. As you first begin, keep that product label handy as you do your food diary recording so you can check before you add that item to your diary. As time goes on, you’ll understand how this works better.

You will soon get into the mode of thinking of “eat this…not that” of the items that you enjoy having that are working to help you reach your successful heart healthy ultimate goal.

GOAL SETTING: Please be extra kind to yourself and not set impossible goals. Think in terms of short-term, reachable goals for now. I started by using Dr. Mehmet Oz’s “Just 10” program, i.e. thinking in terms of just reaching the next set of 10 pounds off short-term goal.

I’m personally in this for the “long haul”. That means, I will be doing this for the rest of my life as long as the program is available and I have the capability of using it. If I stop keeping a daily food diary or stop weighing, measuring, etc., I know that I’ll end up piling the fat pounds right back on and never get them off again. Last November, I was in a full-blown DIABETES state and was sick all the time. I refuse to put my body through that ever again.

You WILL be successful because you’re a WINNER. I strongly believe that and believe in your ability to keep on winning.

Remember, you are in charge~~~no one else can ever take your place!
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I started my journey Dec 2010 as well at 327lbs. I got married Dec 4th, 2010 and since then have lost 40 pounds :) We're like...date and loss twins lol Congrats on your loss so far :)
  • raebeth63
    Options
    Great Job!! Keep up the good work!!:smile:
  • Allivall
    Allivall Posts: 37
    Options
    Congrats and much luck on your journey! Love the lyrics, btw...listening to the song now. :)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That is so great! Life does get better... if you want it to be. People think that good things should be handed to them, but a healthy and happy life comes through hard work.
  • TheycallmeHotDonna
    TheycallmeHotDonna Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck with your goals it inspires to do the same!!
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    I love that your not to shy! This morning I wrote down my beginning my weight in a thread for all to see and I have to admit I did hesitate and then I was like WTH! I doesn't matter, we are all here for the same thing, be get healthy!

Good for you, keep going!!!
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this wonderful post. You are an inspiration. Also, thanks fitzie for your story.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • debbieburris53
    debbieburris53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi, you really are an inspiration to all of us that have a lot to loose. Keep up the good work and good luck.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!