Protein help!

Options
mrswoc
mrswoc Posts: 11 Member
I am 10 years post gastric by pass (the old fashion stapling kind, not the sleeve that is popular now). Unfortunately, due to some circumstances I have not been as successful at weight loss. Mostly because I was not properly prepared for the aftermath of the surgery. I am now getting the education I need to succeed. But the biggest problem is protein.

My nutritionist has increased my protein intake to 90 grams a day, which may not sound like a lot, but considering I can't fry or batter meats, and I do not know how to cook, it is almost not doable for me. I would like to ask if any of you have any suggestions for high protein foods that do not include eggs and/or peanut butter. Also, it needs to be simple to prepare and not expensive. I also really do not like onions and peppers or extremely spicy foods. (See how complicated this gets for me?) Thank you so much for any help you can give me!

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    are you opposed to protein shakes? Those have a pretty high amount of protein in them. I make a protein shake for myself after every workout it has 32g of protein in it.

Do you like fish? Tuna and Salmon have high protein content (Costco sells Salmon patties that are delicious and very high in protein)

There are also chicken patties that you can heat up in the microwave as well,

1/2 cup of cottage cheese has 14g of protein, and Greek yogurt has a very high protein content as well (different brands have different amounts)
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    chicken is great baked, broiled or (dry) pan fried with a little bit of Pam. Can be cut up for salads, personal pizza (on low carb tortilla) or even in soup. I like to also (dry) pan fry steak. They can also be grilled. I eat alot of fish the same way and experiment with all kinds of different seasonings. Protein drinks are also great to get your requirements in. I usually dont use these as a supplement to my meals but in place of my morning coffee or if I have to run errands after work and wont be home for a bit until dinner.
  • mpaoce
    mpaoce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt - Chobani has no fat and 14 grams protein. I even add almonds because I like the crunch and it's more protein. Veggie burgers - I like Morningstar Farms brand. They are an acquired taste but I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, they taste good to me and have a lot of protein. I also eat protein bars - Pure Protein Revolution - Peanut and Caramel. They have less than 200 calories, 1 g of sugar and 20 grams of protein. You do have to watch out with protein bars, some have lots of sugar and calories. Try the diabetic section of your grocery store.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Many meat substitutes (such as smartdogs) contain a fairly high amount of protein. Throwing some soymilk into smoothies, etc can also help boost your protein intake. I sometimes unintentionally go way over my protein intake due to eating Luna bars- they aren't the healthiest thing ever, but at least they're made with mostly organic ingredients. Edamame is also an awesome source of protein, and they are very healthy for you. You could also try organic lentil soup or black beans. They often come canned and easy to prepare. Also, the Kashi Go Lean cereal (regular kind, not crunch) contains 13 grams of protein per serving.
  • Amygrl559
    Amygrl559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of chicken. That's one of my "safe" diet foods. Lol Plus you can bake extra and have it for the week, ready to go. I also like to use ground turkey. Low fat string cheese is great for a snack, too. Those are my must haves! :-) also, turkey bacon and the light laughing cow cheese are good. Those are my suggestions. Hope you find some that you can work with.
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of chicken. That's one of my "safe" diet foods. Lol Plus you can bake extra and have it for the week, ready to go. I also like to use ground turkey. Low fat string cheese is great for a snack, too. Those are my must haves! :-) also, turkey bacon and the light laughing cow cheese are good. Those are my suggestions. Hope you find some that you can work with.

Ditto, i also have snacked on soy nuts, low sodium sunflower seeds and atkins protein bars.:wink:
  • mrswoc
    mrswoc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You guys rock! I went to Sam's and bought the big thing of chicken. I cut some of the breasts into one oz strips and then 3 and 4 oz pieces for my husband. I got a lot of chicken out of it and will try some baked chicken recipes. Also, I got the protein whey powder and will start adding it to my slim fast daily. AND for the person who suggested the morning star veggie burgers etc.. THANK YOU I bought both the veggie burgers and a bbq riblet which I loved and it had 18 grams of protein. I also decided to put together two recipes for a meatloaf that I made tonight and it is very good. Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I will get 90 grams of protein in every day somehow some way! Thanks again!