The Tire Where my gut is. Starting Work Out and Diet advice

Options
I am currently trying to get rid of the man killer heart attack making pot belly that sits right above my waste line:sad: . Since I am just getting back into the work out and health scene I am looking for good or great welcome back starting advice:glasses: . Currently this week and next week its just the elliptical and diet for me. I gotta start somewhere and hopefully this forms good habits. From there I intend to progress. So if you have any great starting gym routines or advice lay it on me.

Replies

• watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    First of all welcome. You will get tons of advice. If I had to do it all over again I would have started doing weight lifting instead of cardio. Many studies show you burn more fat that way. Cardio is great don't get me wrong but weight lifting really burns the fat quicker.
    I am currently trying to get rid of the man killer heart attack making pot belly that sits right above my waste line:sad: . Since I am just getting back into the work out and health scene I am looking for good or great welcome back starting advice:glasses: . Currently this week and next week its just the elliptical and diet for me. I gotta start somewhere and hopefully this forms good habits. From there I intend to progress. So if you have any great starting gym routines or advice lay it on me.
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think you need a good dose of both! Strength training to build the muscle so you can burn fat quicker, but also cardio is good for your heart in the same time as burning fat. I am exactly like you with a pot belly, I have lost 12 pounds so far since starting the gym, mostly water weight sure, but size off is size off! I do cardio 5 times a week and strength training 3 times a week with days in between for rest. HIIT is one of the best fat burning cardio exercises because you're constantly raising and lowering your heart rate. I've seen about 3 inches off my belly and it gets more encouraging! Make sure you drink water, water, and some more water, that's also one of your best fat burning friends. Just remember, you can't spot reduce fat, so don't discouraged if you don't initially see loss in your belly. Remember, think what I tell myself, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change! Good luck to you!
  • watboy
    Options
    I still do both but I've been seeing better results sticking to mostly strength training. Also you lose less lean body mass weight lifting. I know that statement sounds off but studies do point towards that conclusion. But that's just my advice. .
    I think you need a good dose of both! Strength training to build the muscle so you can burn fat quicker, but also cardio is good for your heart in the same time as burning fat. I am exactly like you with a pot belly, I have lost 12 pounds so far since starting the gym, mostly water weight sure, but size off is size off! I do cardio 5 times a week and strength training 3 times a week with days in between for rest. HIIT is one of the best fat burning cardio exercises because you're constantly raising and lowering your heart rate. I've seen about 3 inches off my belly and it gets more encouraging! Make sure you drink water, water, and some more water, that's also one of your best fat burning friends. Just remember, you can't spot reduce fat, so don't discouraged if you don't initially see loss in your belly. Good luck to you!
  • jrq1965
    jrq1965 Posts: 4
    Options
    I think you need a good dose of both! Strength training to build the muscle so you can burn fat quicker, but also cardio is good for your heart in the same time as burning fat. I am exactly like you with a pot belly, I have lost 12 pounds so far since starting the gym, mostly water weight sure, but size off is size off! I do cardio 5 times a week and strength training 3 times a week with days in between for rest. HIIT is one of the best fat burning cardio exercises because you're constantly raising and lowering your heart rate. I've seen about 3 inches off my belly and it gets more encouraging! Make sure you drink water, water, and some more water, that's also one of your best fat burning friends. Just remember, you can't spot reduce fat, so don't discouraged if you don't initially see loss in your belly. Remember, think what I tell myself, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change! Good luck to you!

How long did it take for you to get to where you are? Meaning 12 pounds and 3 inches. Congrats BTW
  • Drumly
    Drumly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem . . . some of us men just seem built for big bellies. Since I started seriously working on losing weight last summer I have taken the slow and steady approach. As you said, you are trying to make a lifestyle change so that means it has to be something sustainable! For me the biggest thing was allowing myself a diet break, especially when I am doing calorie control. I give myself one day every two or three weeks where I can go out and eat a meal without worrying about counting my calories. I mark it on my Calendar! Not that I go crazy and gorge on that day, but sometimes the pasta with Alfredo sauce, she calls to me. Or peacan pie. I find it is easier to go through the days with lower food intake (compared to what I used to eat!) knowing that there is a day up ahead where I can have some of the rich foods I am craving.

So far I have been losing weight steadily. I'm down 30 lbs, with another 30 to go, but I am not a weight yo-yo, it is have been a good, steady decrease (with a Christmas Blip).

Good luck, don't give up and keep communicating with everyone. Knowing there is a community of support online (I read here and on the fitbit website) is a big help.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • jrq1965
    jrq1965 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the same problem . . . some of us men just seem built for big bellies. Since I started seriously working on losing weight last summer I have taken the slow and steady approach. As you said, you are trying to make a lifestyle change so that means it has to be something sustainable! For me the biggest thing was allowing myself a diet break, especially when I am doing calorie control. I give myself one day every two or three weeks where I can go out and eat a meal without worrying about counting my calories. I mark it on my Calendar! Not that I go crazy and gorge on that day, but sometimes the pasta with Alfredo sauce, she calls to me. Or peacan pie. I find it is easier to go through the days with lower food intake (compared to what I used to eat!) knowing that there is a day up ahead where I can have some of the rich foods I am craving.

So far I have been losing weight steadily. I'm down 30 lbs, with another 30 to go, but I am not a weight yo-yo, it is have been a good, steady decrease (with a Christmas Blip).

Good luck, don't give up and keep communicating with everyone. Knowing there is a community of support online (I read here and on the fitbit website) is a big help.

Cheers,
    Steve

Good for you..Keep up the good work..
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been heavy working out for about 3 weeks now, but I would say over the past 2 months or so. I lost some just by drinking more water, less soda (If I do, it's 1 can every other day and it's diet soda to avoid the calories), I haven't drank alcohol for awhile since those are empty calories, I have also been juicing fresh fruit and vegetables for my breakfast meal and a snack, it's been great! What really inspired me to continue juicing was "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." - It's on Netflix streaming if ya wanna check it out. Good luck!
  • watboy
    Options
    I'm gonna watch that tonight. Thanks man.
    I've been heavy working out for about 3 weeks now, but I would say over the past 2 months or so. I lost some just by drinking more water, less soda (If I do, it's 1 can every other day and it's diet soda to avoid the calories), I haven't drank alcohol for awhile since those are empty calories, I have also been juicing fresh fruit and vegetables for my breakfast meal and a snack, it's been great! What really inspired me to continue juicing was "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." - It's on Netflix streaming if ya wanna check it out. Good luck!
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Sticking that in my net flix queue right now!
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I plan to step into the weight lifting portion next. I am struggling to keep at every day on the stupid elliptical. If my knees were not so bad I would love to run. Its not discouraging though its just a matter of repetition and as we all know establishing a pattern of good habits. Keep the advice coming I always learn a bit more from all of you.