Up your calories and see results!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. With a small weight loss goal of 6lbs (from 139 to 133lbs) and at 5'9" I was initially eating too few calories (1200 and not eating exercise calories back) and not losing. Upped my calories to 1500 + some of my exercise calories and lost 2lbs which I then gained them back the next week. Oye. Then went on vacation and gained 5 and immediately lost 4 (water weight). Bottom line - nearly 2 months in and zero weight loss.

I really am at a loss as to how much to eat and how many of my exercise calories to eat back. I work out 5 days per week a mix of running, walking, and heavy lifting with circuits. My Fitbit registers anywhere from 7,000 to 17,000 steps per day depending on if I am biking, running or just doing normal activities - but I have a desk job. I don't know where to put my calories - am I sedentary? I don't think so - but I don't want to double log my exercise calories which a few of the pinned newbie threads warn against. My goal is to lose about 5 lbs so that I can have better definition.

Due to my total and utter confusion, I am mow I am just trying to focus on eating 1400 per day, eating it clean and low sodium (fewer prepared "diet" foods, more healthy fats, higher protein), lifting heavy and eating more if I am hungry at the end of the day. I am going to trust in the process and try to let go of the scale numbers since I do like the way I am looking from the exercise.
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    I am new, so please forgive my ignorance. Just so I am clear:

When you say increase your calories, does that mean going over the goal that MFP has set for me? For example if is set at 1200 (and I don't workout that day), eat 1400 instead? Or does it just mean to eat back all of my exercise calories as opposed to trying to maintain a larger than necessary deficit?

Thanks! in advance for clarification!
  • kdiment
    kdiment Posts: 31
    Options
    This interests me a lot. I've been eating ~1200 a day, and I haven't seen much in the way of changes. I think I'm going to bump it up to 1400 and see what that does!

I'm pretty active, so the lack of calories would probably explain why I've been so tired lately.
  • stryfe101
    stryfe101 Posts: 61
    Options
    i'm seeing the same thing, mine has been in conjunction with me actually exercising...specifically jogging and running. I saw a 2lb weight loss in a day, and a noticeable difference in my belly size.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    This interests me a lot. I've been eating ~1200 a day, and I haven't seen much in the way of changes. I think I'm going to bump it up to 1400 and see what that does!

I'm pretty active, so the lack of calories would probably explain why I've been so tired lately.

This is an interesting tool.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think I iwll follow your example and up my cals a bit although I am really scared to do it...
  • SirBeechBum
    Options
    If I get stuck, I might give this a try. I have read other posts that validate that this works specifically when you are not eating enough...

18706737.png
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • kdiment
    kdiment Posts: 31
    Options
    Ah! Thanks for that link.

I'm confused though. Do I eat the BMR number or the number from the chart at the bottom? The BMR is 1303 and the chart at the bottom said 1913. Thanks!
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Just this pass week I upped my cals but not sure I am doing it right! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I was eating 1270, I am now at 1510. When I don't exercise I eat pretty close to all 1500 of my cals, when I do exercise I eat about half my calories burned back. So for example yesterday I burned 443 calories and I ate 1522 calories. My net was 1079... ok I can see now that I didn't eat enough lol I actually only ate 1079 in food, not enough right?
  • sarahlauren18
    sarahlauren18 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I believe you want to be around 1510 after working out.
  • dancerman
    dancerman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dojomama
    dojomama Posts: 12
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! Upping mine from 1320 to 1620.. slight hesitation, but am enjoying the extra calories. Time will tell!
  • 1yellowdog
    1yellowdog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After six weeks of 1200 calories I had lost a total of 1.8 pounds, AND I was exercising 5 times a week. I "upped" my calories the last two weeks to 1500, decreased my exercise to 4 times a week, which was more manageable, and I have lost 3.4 pounds in the last two weeks. A fitness friend of mine suggested I add in the calories, and it worked! I'm not sure why, but I'm thrilled that I can eat more and lose more. I'm planning on sticking to the 1500 calories unless the weight loss slows.
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    I am new, so please forgive my ignorance. Just so I am clear:

When you say increase your calories, does that mean going over the goal that MFP has set for me? For example if is set at 1200 (and I don't workout that day), eat 1400 instead? Or does it just mean to eat back all of my exercise calories as opposed to trying to maintain a larger than necessary deficit?

Thanks! in advance for clarification!

MFP does simple math based on what you give it as your weight loss goal... if you request to lose 2lbs per week it will take a 1000 calories deficit per day - the lowest setting it will allow you to go is 1200. even if that 1000 calories would technically put you below. MFP will give you recommendations however it can't say "don't go below your BMR!" as then it would be giving you advice and open itself up to lawsuits.

google BMR and TDEE - check other message boards. even your BMR as calculated by MFP is a good base. the BMR is what your body needs if you were to lay in bed, if you were in a coma what the doctors would feed you, to make sure your vital organs are taken care of, going below this number is really not recommended.... as I said please read up and decide for yourself where you need to be. :flowerforyou:

personally I am 5'3" 180lbs desk job, I have my calorie goal set at 1600- when I stick to it and eat a healthy 1600 calories I average 1lbs per week, currently with little exercise- and when I do exercise I eat most of my calories back.
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to 2,000. I lost a lb last week and already lost another lb this week and weigh in isn't until Saturday! The best part is i have more energy to fuel my workouts. Eat up ladies! It's so worth it! :)
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have not seen a drop on the scale in over 2 weeks! I think i was starving myself, although i felt full at the end of the day. What made me realize this is i bought ahrm and wore it to work, i burn 900 plus just there and burn 300 in 4 hours just sitting around, then another added 300 to 400 on days i do exercise! I was only taking in 900-1000 daily! I the myself into starvation mode! Although i was set to 1390, i was taking in no more then 1000! so nowi had to bump it up to 1800 daily and I'm freaking terrified that I'm going to jump on the scale and it will break! I guess I'll see!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!