Binges, Relapse, and Other Setbacks

Options
I'm taking a course in nutrition teaching/counseling and (aside from it being insightful/interesting) I feel that a lot of people would benefit from the spread of this knowledge. So, I am going to share with you a few gems regarding relapse that I found to be particularly interesting.

It is important to realize that a lot of times people "fail" because they place absolute demands on themselves. This means creating unreasonable demands for yourself and setting extremely rigid goals.
The most important lesson to stress here is to "Give yourself a break!" Setting rigid goals creates black and white thinking. This perpetuates the illusion that there is no gray area, only "good behavior" and "bad behavior." This paints a pretty picture of goals that are strangled by restriction. Restriction is not sustainable and sets you up to "fail."
People often are overcome with a large amount of guilt during a relapse to "bad behavior." They say, "I shouldn't have..." "Now I must..."
But I ask, why all the punishment? Where is the affirmation? Where was the reward for doing well? Why is it that we always attempt to shift our behavior by bestowing consequences upon ourselves? "I ate way too much, so I'm not going to eat at all tomorrow." or "I ate too much. I'll never change. I knew I couldn't do this."

Surely the only way to learn isn't through nutritional penance.

So here I will provide for you some keys to addressing and conquering relapse:

First, let's focus on relapse itself- Relapse is not the end of the world. Do not make a *situation* into a *catastrophe*. Accept that relapse often occurs throughout treatment and maintenance. Accept that you are still learning and that relapse is part of the learning process. Learn to forgive yourself. No one is perfect.

Second, here is a process to walk yourself through when a relapse occurs- (1) stop the behavior early, do not allow continuation (2) stay calm, do not catastrophize it, and accept it as a learning experience (3) reaffirm your vow to change your behavior and remember your goals (4) analyze the situation, why it happened, and rethink the problem (5) take charge and make necessary modifications (6) ask for help and seek support

The main point: Relapse itself isn't the problem, it's the reaction to the relapse. A positive reaction is a must for continued success.

I hope that you will all find this useful and I wish you luck on your journey, recovery, and continuation throughout this process. Remember that you are human and that a mistake is not a failure. God speed!

Replies

• queenovhearts
    Options
    Thanks, its a really good perspective
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Of all days I really needed to read that today :smile:
    Thank you - I think this will be my mantra from now on
    'Relapse itself isn't the problem, it's the reaction to the relapse. A positive reaction is a must for continued success'

My usual reaction is to write off one bad day into one bad week & that is the process that needs to stop.

One day, one meal, one weigh in at a time :flowerforyou:
  • sar123bear
    Options
    Great advice! I'm going to add this to my blog here on MFP- hope you don't mind! I have a lot of other links to great posts from individuals on here who explain things in a great way.... If you care to read, they can be found at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sar123bear/view/some-fantastic-info-239775

:happy:
  • hklingen
    hklingen Posts: 9
    Options
    Of all days I really needed to read that today :smile:
    Thank you - I think this will be my mantra from now on
    'Relapse itself isn't the problem, it's the reaction to the relapse. A positive reaction is a must for continued success'

My usual reaction is to write off one bad day into one bad week & that is the process that needs to stop.

One day, one meal, one weigh in at a time :flowerforyou:

I'm the same way. One set back after a long period of meeting my goals, and I go into freak-out-mode.
    It's very easy to freak out when you notice an old habit resurfacing. It's discouraging and it makes you feel like you really haven't changed or that you can't change. So in addition, you become upset with yourself, for lack of control..which further compounds the problem. You start to accept this old behavior as your reality and allow old habits to take over.
    And I think that's where this lesson becomes really useful. Because *one* instance does not create a habit. A habit is a long-term behavior. And anyone who has seen progress has already proven to him/herself that he/she is capable of combating this unwanted habit. So there is no need to lose sight of your goals because you had *one* stressful day or *one* fun, high-calorie weekend.
    Sometimes we need to just accept that losing (and even maintaining) weight, and promoting health *is* challenging in a society that has high stress/low sleep and poor calorie-appropriate portions. Even small portions at restaurants or fast food chains can climb above 1000 calories easily (due to obscene preparation methods).

So, goodness gracious, it's a daily effort to be/stay aware 100% of the time. In an uphill battle, you're going to slip some of the time. And it's OKAY. Just acknowledge the hiccup, take a deep breath (because you are not a robot and you are not a bad person or weak)., and recover. =]

Remember Obsession is not necessarily success, and setbacks do not necessarily equal failure
    (Sorry I write so much hehe)
  • hklingen
    hklingen Posts: 9
    Options
    Great advice! I'm going to add this to my blog here on MFP- hope you don't mind! I have a lot of other links to great posts from individuals on here who explain things in a great way.... If you care to read, they can be found at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sar123bear/view/some-fantastic-info-239775

:happy:

Not at all. As much as I would like to take credit and say that I invented this philosophy, I (unfortunately) didn't. So...it is the world's to enjoy =P

I'm glad you found it as useful as I did
    Cheers!
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump, I will need to read and re-read and re-read this! Thanks for the tips :)