Strength training beginner! HELP!

Options
Okay. I got started on MFP March 15th and have lost 7ish pounds as of today. I do Zumba 4-5 times a week and that is my only exercise. I would LOVE to incorporate some strength training but have NO CLUE where to start. I'm not interested in paying for a gym membership at this time as I have free access to a local gym. What pointers would you give someone like me? And remember, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to this. I'm 5'9"-5'10" and currently weigh 169.4 pounds. I'm looking to basically tone up and lose fat.

THANKS!!

Replies

• KelliA0628
    KelliA0628 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options
    It's not really "Strength training" but Jillian michaels 30 day shred helped me tone up a lot :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    what's your local gym got in terms of equipment? What kind of free weights?
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You can check out New Rules of Lifting For Women. I started with that and recently decided to start doing the Stronglifts program. There are also several Women's Lifting Groups here you can search for.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Forget the word "tone". It's not a real thing. All it means is your muscles showing more clearly through your fat in skin, so basically, it's losing fat.

What kind of free weights does your gym have? Those are the ones you want to get on to start a lifetime of good strength training habits. Don't bother with weight machines unless you have an injury or something :)
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    where are you from?

My gym offers a class called "bodypump" it's a great class and taken 3 days a week for 6 wks you will see great changes as far as toning.. I take it now 3 days a week, still do cardio and meet w/ a trainer once a week and i love the results i'm seeing in my arms and legs! :) It's a heavy weighted class, so you cant go in and only put 10 lbs on the bar for every muscle group and expect to see change..

Where do you take Zumba at? If at your gym, then check out the weight machines there, talk to someone at the gym and have them help you use them for the first time..
  • jsuswpt
    jsuswpt Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm with you on not really knowing how to do it but try NEWO by jonathon roche. He has a free list of simple exercises to get started without a gym or weights.

Good Luck!!
  • jsuswpt
    jsuswpt Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh, I should add that I started using his stuff at the beginning of the year and I can do 12 pushups on my knees now!!
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    That book is awesome. I second this.
    You can check out New Rules of Lifting For Women. I started with that and recently decided to start doing the Stronglifts program. There are also several Women's Lifting Groups here you can search for.
  • shelton2202
    Options
    You should start with light weights initially working up to 3 sets of exercise for each muscle group. If your gym offers personal training, you might at least go for one session to get them to show you how to lift properly. If not, there is a video series I recommend by Kathy Smith called Secrets to a Great Upper Body and Secrets to a Great Lower Body. She is great for instruction and she doesn't have an annoying voice like some of the others. Once you learn the moves you could take it to the gym. I bet you'd be able to start with 5 lb weights since you've been doing zumba. You're bound to be fit! Good luck! Weight training has been the thing that has made the most difference in my weight loss at my age.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what equipment this free local gym of yours has, but I know several beginner lifters (including myself) on the Stronglifts 5x5 program.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

There's also this MFP group for general strength training for women.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It is good to see something different then the usual Im going to eat 700 calories to lose weight. GOOD JOB for wanting to do strength training. It is daunting at first to begin weight training for the first time but it is actually quite fun, and people around you at the weight racks are generally friendly and ready to help if you ask nicely enough. (DO NOT INTERRUPT THEIR WORKOUTS, chat with them between their breaks and dont talk too long either cause alot of people like me time their breaks to be 1 min between sets. Other than that people are very nice :D)

What most of us do normally is do 3 day splits, 4 day splits. But for the time being that may be a little too hard at this point so try doing some FULL BODY workouts. This pretty much means do alot of compound exercises that work multiple muscle groups and work all your body well, but not too heavily. Once your body is USED to lifting weights (I would give it about 3 weeks to a month) then you can think about advancing to split days where you do ALOT more sets for a body group so its more intense. Start off easy and advance your way up, if you try to do the more complicated and harder stuff from the get go, injuries are on the way!

Mix in some of these into your strength routines,
    bench presses (1 day can be flat, another day can be incline)
    shoulder/military presses (1 day can be seated, another day can be standing up)
    deadlifts (normal and stiff leg dead lifts on different days.) ON THIS ONE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS UNLESS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING SHOW YOU AND YOU GET IT. THIS IS VERY VERY DANGEROUS IF YOU HAVE BAD FORM BUT AMAZING FOR YOUR BODY WITH GOOD FORM!
    bicep curls (pretty basic stuff, you can use dumbbells or barbells, seated or standing. whatever rocks your boat basically)
    bodyweight dips (superset this with bicep curls and feel the BURN!)
    squats (barbell or dumbbell, suggest using barbell, but AGAIN same note with deadlifts. get someone to show you)
    shoulder shrugs

To start off I would say do about 3 sets of each exercise per strength routine. eg: 3 sets bench press (take a pick), shoulder press (again take a pick) dead lifts( be careful and safe) bicep curls (choices choices choices) dips shoulder shrugs etc.

Order your routine's exercise based on how much effort you need to put in. For example deadlifts, squats and bench presses generally always go first thing cause they requires the most energy and effort. Last tip, always finish up with some core work. This does not mean do a zillion situps and crunches. It means do something simple like 20 sec of reverse crunches + 20 sec of bicycle running (i cant remember whats it called), then break for 20 secs then repeat again, for 4 sets.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *stalking this thread*

OP - We're so similar :) I'm 5'9", 162 and pretty much have the same story except I don't even Zumba ;-) We can learn together...
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Applause to you for incorporating strength training, whichever way you choose to do it. You'll never, ever regret it. :flowerforyou:
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said it all. I started lifiting heavy weights after I hit my goal weight and my body transformation has been incredible.

I had no idea what I was doing either, so I asked one of the more buff guys at the gym to write out a plan for me, and he was both flattered that I asked, and happy to do it.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    bump for later :smile:
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Do this:

1. Lift as heavy as you can.
    2. Eat clean with lots of protein
    3. Sleep at least 8 hours a night.
    4. Use as much free weights as possible.

I would start with a three day split, ful body mon, wed, fri.
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    Bumpage. Thanks! want to get started but *slowly*