OMG MFP...

Options
Shanta1983
Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
Hello How are my fellow Mfpers are doing...I have unfortunately not so good news......My hours has been cut on my job :brokenheart: :cry: ...And I just paid all my bills and Only have 20 dollars left to get groceries for the week....I dont have any healthy choice of food here for myself...Nothing but what my family eats corn dogs lasagna,ham, high cal bread, chips cookies and all the other enemy foods out their :laugh: ...But seriously Ive fallen into hardship and its getting tough..And the food I get myself cost more unfortunataly Im going to have to apply for food stamps:brokenheart:..Any sugesstions with what will you get with $20 bucks I know its not much but geesh:ohwell:

Replies

• melssyl
    melssyl Posts: 66
    Options
    Try to contact a church in your area. They are there for you. We were there some months back and they were such a blessing. They have food and other things that you may need. We will keep you in our prayers...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hello How are my fellow Mfpers are doing...I have unfortunately not so good news......My hours has been cut on my job :brokenheart: :cry: ...And I just paid all my bills and Only have 20 dollars left to get groceries for the week....I dont have any healthy choice of food here for myself...Nothing but what my family eats corn dogs lasagna,ham, high cal bread, chips cookies and all the other enemy foods out their :laugh: ...But seriously Ive fallen into hardship and its getting tough..And the food I get myself cost more unfortunataly Im going to have to apply for food stamps:brokenheart:..Any sugesstions with what will you get with $20 bucks I know its not much but geesh:ohwell:

Rice cakes and all natural peanut butter go a long way-- low sugar, low carbs, high protein. I just lived on 'em for a week of vacation-- yummy, too.
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    Try to contact a church in your area. They are there for you. We were there some months back and they were such a blessing. They have food and other things that you may need. We will keep you in our prayers...

Awww thanks :flowerforyou: :cry:
  • Shanta1983
    Options

Rice cakes and all natural peanut butter go a long way-- low sugar, low carbs, high protein. I just lived on 'em for a week of vacation-- yummy, too.

Thats a good Idea you know I already have my all natural organic peanut butter...Hmmm I love rice cakes thats doable:flowerforyou:
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    http://www.budget101.com/$10_grocery_list.htm

I found this list - you can do it on $10 if you have the time to make things from scratch. There are recipes here too, so its all you need :flowerforyou: Good luck, will be praying for you!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I too am on a very tight budget for groceries. I've always used that as an excuse why I couldn't eat healthy. I don't understand why "they" make healthy foods so much more expensive! However, I have learned ways around that. This is just some healthy cheap foods I eat on most of the time!

For breakfast:
    Old fashioned oatmeal! You can buy a huge container that will last weeks for just a few dollars.
    Eggs! Eggs are cheap and very healthy!! Just remember one yolk a day!! I usually scramble four or five eggs with one yolk to go with my oatmeal. That is a very cheap and balanced breakfast!
    (low fat yogurt also!)

Lunch:
    ground turkey: walmart sells a pound of ground turkey for 1.99 (here). that can make you anything from turkey burgers, tacos, mix with brown rice (also cheap) etc..etc...you can use ground turkey in anything you would normally use ground beef in. I mix brown rice, ground turkey and one can of black beans together. its good and very healthy!
    sandwiches!! whole wheat bread, lean chicken or turkey, 2% or less sliced cheese!

Dinner:
    ground turkey again!!!
    I usually eat leftovers for lunch of what I had for dinner the night before.

Fruits and Veggies are not as expensive as you think! baby carrots, celery, grapes, strawberries, canned veggies, frozen veggies, they are all inexpensive and great for any meal. Just remember to get enough protein!
    This is my diet mainly when I have little money to buy groceries. When I have a little extra, I buy frozen boneless skinless chicken breast and salmon filets. Just put a veggie with that and tada, your meal!!

Don't let your hard times get you down!! Things will get better! People let depression and sadness lead to weight gain. i know! that's why I'm fat! Just hang in there!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your hours being cut, that stinks, but know I am praying for you. :flowerforyou:
  • shaleah77
    Options
    Im sorry to hear this. Just know that most of us, especially in recent years have had the economy hit us. Be positive and try to always look at the bright side:flowerforyou:
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am so sorry for your troubles, but I have a feeling you are going to be just fine. I'll leave the food advice to others, I just want you to know I'll be thinking of you. You are a special lady if you can forget your REAL problems and take the time to answer my IMAGINARY ones! I am humbled:embarassed:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    oh, sweetie, I am so sorry!

The generic shredded wheat or raisin bran cereal, they are cheaper than the brand name and have alot of fiber. A half gallon of 1% milk has 8 - 1 cup servings.
    A bag of baby carrots lasts me about a week. I eat one serving for lunch instead of chips. Celery is another one that is cheap and you get alot of it. I think generic soup is less than a dollar a can.
    How about brown rice, it's only a couple of bucks for a 28oz bag and it has 20 servings.

See if you can find coupons for the stuff you like to buy or keep an eye for when it goes on sale. If you have a printer at home you can print coupons from the internet.

Can you find out if there is a food bank in your area? You may qualify and they may actually have the kind of stuff you eat.

If you are forced to eat what your family eats, drink alot of water before and make your portions even smaller than usual.

I know how you feel, we have been on a budget for a while and every little dollar counts, I have been applying and interviewing for jobs but no luck yet.

Good luck,
    Demetria
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dollar store? You just have to go look, but sometimes they have name brands of random foods for a buck.
    You could cruise those stores on your walk to save gas & see what they have to offer.
    Good luck. We'll be thinking of you.
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    Yes of course we have a dollar stuff but Ill I ever see its chipc juices candy, canned goods loaded with sodium and etc....:grumble:
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    I too am on a very tight budget for groceries. I've always used that as an excuse why I couldn't eat healthy. I don't understand why "they" make healthy foods so much more expensive! However, I have learned ways around that. This is just some healthy cheap foods I eat on most of the time!

For breakfast:
    Old fashioned oatmeal! You can buy a huge container that will last weeks for just a few dollars.
    Eggs! Eggs are cheap and very healthy!! Just remember one yolk a day!! I usually scramble four or five eggs with one yolk to go with my oatmeal. That is a very cheap and balanced breakfast!
    (low fat yogurt also!)

Lunch:
    ground turkey: walmart sells a pound of ground turkey for 1.99 (here). that can make you anything from turkey burgers, tacos, mix with brown rice (also cheap) etc..etc...you can use ground turkey in anything you would normally use ground beef in. I mix brown rice, ground turkey and one can of black beans together. its good and very healthy!

Thats a good idea ...And my printer is down and I cant print coupons:cry::cry: .. But Im going to stretch it Im take a piece advice from all of you...Ima survive it and p.s I WILL NOT GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK BECAUSE OF HARD TIMES ALL THIS HARDWORK EFFIN ME NOWAY:noway: :noway:
    sandwiches!! whole wheat bread, lean chicken or turkey, 2% or less sliced cheese!

Dinner:
    ground turkey again!!!
    I usually eat leftovers for lunch of what I had for dinner the night before.

Fruits and Veggies are not as expensive as you think! baby carrots, celery, grapes, strawberries, canned veggies, frozen veggies, they are all inexpensive and great for any meal. Just remember to get enough protein!
    This is my diet mainly when I have little money to buy groceries. When I have a little extra, I buy frozen boneless skinless chicken breast and salmon filets. Just put a veggie with that and tada, your meal!!

Don't let your hard times get you down!! Things will get better! People let depression and sadness lead to weight gain. i know! that's why I'm fat! Just hang in there!
  • finallyproud
    finallyproud Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Your in Atlanta right? If your anywhere close to Forrest Park go the the farmers market there. It's huge!! They have all kind of ppl selling healthy fruits and veggies for not a lot of money. You could probably get a weeks worth of food for $20 bucks. I hope this helps, and I hope thing work out for you :heart:
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    Yea Im not that far from forrest park....But the local bus doesnt go that far up so I might just catch the train to the farmers market downtown or decatur
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Your in Atlanta right? If your anywhere close to Forrest Park go the the farmers market there. It's huge!! They have all kind of ppl selling healthy fruits and veggies for not a lot of money. You could probably get a weeks worth of food for $20 bucks. I hope this helps, and I hope thing work out for you :heart:

I too was gonna suggest a local farmer's market for fruits and veggies.

(((hugs for you!)))
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    When I only have a few bucks, I always get bread, cereal, milk, peanut butter and bananas.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    I remember a time when I only had 20.00 bucks for groceries but just when I was a single parent with a 3 year old then. I was 115 lbs from starvation...I would buy foods that stretch... like:

Pasta on sale for .99 you could add to chicken soup broth or eat plain with olive oil & parmsean cheese
    Beans with a can of chili concarne

the hard part will be eating in moderation. Check with your local church or food harvest bank. Often they have protein meats to give out too.

really check your sales too

I will pray for you & your family:flowerforyou:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Do you have a dollar store? You just have to go look, but sometimes they have name brands of random foods for a buck.
    You could cruise those stores on your walk to save gas & see what they have to offer.
    Good luck. We'll be thinking of you.

Good Idea! Dollar Store here has everything including a frozen food section with milk, cheese, eggs.

Yes check them out too :drinker: :heart:
  • velvetkist
    Options
    I agree with most of the advice here. We are on a budget too and skim milk, cheese, oven roasted turkey meat, eggs, peanut butter, apples, bananas, carrots, celery and whole grain cereal are are relatively low cost and pretty much cover your food groups. Also, beans and rice are cheap, can be stretched, and are very filling.

Chin up, and I'll be praying for you! :flowerforyou:

158741.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart