Rest Days

Options
I have been going, going, going for the past 10 days. Hour long (or more) workouts. I was wondering if I am being counterproductive by not taking a rest day? I don't feel like I necessarily NEED one. I love running and I love spending time in the gym. But I also don't want to harm my body or ruin my hard work by overworking myself.

Just a few questions:

How long do y'all go before you take a rest day?
How many rest days do you take a week?
Are they consecutive?
Do you work out extra hard the next day to make up for your day of rest?

Tips and advice would be appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Replies

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I went 3 months with not taking a single rest day.. I was doing sooo much cardio and I didn't think I needed a rest day. But I was really run down and I could feel myself getting sluggish.

I took my first one a few sundays ago. LOVED IT! Now, I'm doing once a week. Usually on Sundays.

Rest days are when the magic happens. You need to give your body time to repair itself!!!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I was going weeks without a rest, now I am trying to take a lighter day per week where I just go for a long walk or similar. I found I was just getting so drained and edgy from overdoing it.
  • DrMMaddo
    DrMMaddo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your body does need rest. Resting at least one day a week is recommended. When strength training you need to take at least 48 hours rest before working the same body part again. When you strength train with the appropriate amount of weight, (i.e., you overload your muscles) you create micro-tears in your muscle fibers. Your body repairs these muscle fibers during rest periods which causes your muscles to grow (hypertrophy). Hypertrophy is the goal of weight training because muscle is metabolically active tissue burning 10% more calories than fat - even at rest!

Regarding cardiovascular exercise:
    If you are training steady state (e.g., running, walking, stair climber or elliptical on the same level) then 4 - 5 days a week will help you make fitness gains. However, if you are interval training (taking your heart rate to the point that you are breathless....craving air more than water...for 30 seconds and then recovering for 60 seconds over several sets) then at least one day of active rest is recommended between interval sessions. (Active rest = exercising at a moderate steady state pace)

Are you over training? Your heart rate will tell you.

Establish your resting heart rate (RHR) by taking your heart rate/bpm before getting out of bed in the morning over several days and then calculate the average number. That number should remain relatively the same or begin to drop slightly as you become more fit.

A higher than normal RHR can be indicitive of over training. (amongst other things)
  • Jules_1111
    Options
    I take 2 rest days per week. Sunday an Wednesday. But, I may still go for a walk on Sundays. :)
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I take between one and two rest days a week depending on how tired I am.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/513887-do-i-need-a-break-day-when-exercising/

I typically exercise Monday - Friday and try to get one workout in on the weekend. If I don't get one, I don't beat myself up about it, I resume back with my normal schedule on Monday again, no harder than usual.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can rest when you're dead!

Ok, just listen to your body. I often run 10+ days without a rest day (at 50+ miles per week).
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    bump
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    think of this as a table. one leg is nutrition, one is cardio, one is strength training, and one is rest. you need all four.
  • millerhillbabe
    Options
    think of this as a table. one leg is nutrition, one is cardio, one is strength training, and one is rest. you need all four.

perfectly said........
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day maybe one a month and I always feel guilty for missing a day. I go to the gym for about a half hour during work days but the weekend I go for 1-2 hrs a day. I think you should just listen to your body. If you feel fine go for it, if you feel you need a day off that is ok.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I take rest days every sunday. They keep me from hating everything (workouts)
  • skaery7
    skaery7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I take 1 or 2 days off a week. They say the rest days are just as important as your workout days. It helps heal muscles, etc. Plus - it prevents burnout. I totally agree that I some days I don't want a rest day...but our bodies need it!! I've even read it's good to take a whole week off 1or 2 times per year just to let the muscles heal--and you come back stronger!!! I've done it before and yes, it is hard not to head to the gym for my workout "high", but again, we have to take care of our bodies! :) That's my two cents!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    also, weigh in AFTER a rest day, when some of the swelling and water retention has gone.
  • katheharwood
    katheharwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/513887-do-i-need-a-break-day-when-exercising/

I typically exercise Monday - Friday and try to get one workout in on the weekend. If I don't get one, I don't beat myself up about it, I resume back with my normal schedule on Monday again, no harder than usual.

Really informative and gives several logical reasons for a rest day or two a week. Thanks for sharing. My hubby and I traditionally rest 1 to 2 days a week and he performs different exercises each time (working different muscles each day). I alternate between running and pilates and the elliptical exercise.
    REST is important for all around good health and happiness. :)
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I usually rest on my days off work. If I work 5 days then I go to the gym 5 days and rest 2. If I work 6 days then I go to the gym 6 days and rest 1. So I always rest 1-2 days per week because those are dedicated to family time days. And on the rare chance that I work 7 days I still won't go to the gym on Sunday because if I worked on Sunday it was above and beyond my normal work duties and I still got a work out.

This also reflects when I take a day off from work during the week because usually if I had to day a day off it was to handle errands/business and don't have time to make a gym appearance.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I'm feeling, but If I'm not wearing myself out enough to really feel like I need a rest, then I'm not working hard enough. That's just me personally, and I usually take at least one or two days per week.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't have a regular rest day. If I feel like I need one, I might take one, or I might just suck it up and push through. But that's just me, because I know myself and I know that one rest day could easily turn into two or three or ten... you get the point. :P
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Great analogy !
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    How long do y'all go before you take a rest day? I rest on Saturdays and don't work out at all unless i take a short walk or something but nothing really exerting

How many rest days do you take a week? Saturdays - just 1 day

Are they consecutive? just one day

Do you work out extra hard the next day to make up for your day of rest? nope, just my regular routine

i also was thinking about taking a rest weekend every few months just to let myself relax a little. i don't want to slide out of exercising but it might be good for me. or if not a "rest weekend" maybe just get some walks in or something.