Mood Swings & The Downfalls

Options
Lately I've been having terrible, debilitation mood swings. One moment I feel fantastic, like nothing can stop me. And in the next, I feel like absolute shicaca. As a mental health professional, I know this isn't a normal thing but am reluctant to seek treatment for it because of medication and it's side effects.

I have severe anxiety attacks; the kind where I have difficulty just getting out of bed. I have a stressful job because of an *kitten* boss. And my life outside of work isn't all that fantastic either.

While i workout regularly and eat well, there are no physical changes that I see occurring. I am starting to feel that these mood swings and fluctuations in my personality are also playing a major role in my weight loss goals. I have zero motivation and then I'll have all the motivation in the world. It's a vicious cycle that I cannot seem to break.

I've been diagnosed clinically depressed in the past and have clinical anxiety (not just me saying I have it).

Does anyone else here experience these things? I feel pretty alone when it comes to this stuff, esp in a community where everyone seems to have a drive that I totally lack. I'd love some advice, pointers, new friends...something.

Replies

• EatWorkoutLive
    Options
    I did- when I wasnt earting enough food like two months ago. I was running on 1200 a day for like 5 months and my net intake was at around 300. It was terrible and I switched things up a bit and now I am great!
  • _Shelley_
    _Shelley_ Posts: 206
    Options
    I did- when I wasnt earting enough food like two months ago. I was running on 1200 a day for like 5 months and my net intake was at around 300. It was terrible and I switched things up a bit and now I am great!

Oh, I def eat enough. It's an emotional thing for me :-\ It's a terrible place to be in.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My moods are very sensitive to both hydration and blood sugar levels.

If I take in too many carbs by themselves, I get an insulin over-reaction that rebounds into a crash. Low sugar causes anxiety, confusion, agitation...just to name a few. Pairing carbs with protein helps level out my sugar and I avoid the inevitable crash.

Chronic low-level dehydration can have some of the same effects, and can make you even more sensitive to blood sugar levels.

Make sure you are eating enough overall...never net under 1200, and consider adjusting your loss goal to .5 lbs/week until you sort this out. Drink adequate fluids daily, and always ALWAYS have some protein with your meals. And try to make more of your carbs complex (slower to break down) rather than simple carbs.

If you try these things and still aren't feeling better, please talk to a mental health professional. Sometimes it is truly a chemical imbalance that needs addressed. I'm no fan of meds, either, but sometimes they are a necessary evil.

Good luck, and feel better!
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    I've experienced that...back before I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and put on meds.

I'm not saying that's what's wrong--I don't have any medical expertise--but I know how the extreme ups and downs (and the crippling anxiety) feel, and it is certainly worth it (for me) to take a few pills a day and see a therapist every other week.

Feel free to add me if you want to talk more.
  • _Shelley_
    Options

If I take in too many carbs by themselves, I get an insulin over-reaction that rebounds into a crash. Low sugar causes anxiety, confusion, agitation...just to name a few. Pairing carbs with protein helps level out my sugar and I avoid the inevitable crash.

Chronic low-level dehydration can have some of the same effects, and can make you even more sensitive to blood sugar levels.

Make sure you are eating enough overall...never net under 1200, and consider adjusting your loss goal to .5 lbs/week until you sort this out. Drink adequate fluids daily, and always ALWAYS have some protein with your meals. And try to make more of your carbs complex (slower to break down) rather than simple carbs.

If you try these things and still aren't feeling better, please talk to a mental health professional. Sometimes it is truly a chemical imbalance that needs addressed. I'm no fan of meds, either, but sometimes they are a necessary evil.

Thanks for your kind words and advice.

I changed my diet to the .5 about a month ago. No change. I eat really well, or so I think (open diary).

I'm thinking I need to go to a professional. I hate doing it, since I am one lol. It makes me feel like I need to have stuff together and I should be able to handle things on my own.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been having terrible, debilitation mood swings. One moment I feel fantastic, like nothing can stop me. And in the next, I feel like absolute shicaca. As a mental health professional, I know this isn't a normal thing but am reluctant to seek treatment for it because of medication and it's side effects.

I have severe anxiety attacks; the kind where I have difficulty just getting out of bed. I have a stressful job because of an *kitten* boss. And my life outside of work isn't all that fantastic either.

While i workout regularly and eat well, there are no physical changes that I see occurring. I am starting to feel that these mood swings and fluctuations in my personality are also playing a major role in my weight loss goals. I have zero motivation and then I'll have all the motivation in the world. It's a vicious cycle that I cannot seem to break.

I've been diagnosed clinically depressed in the past and have clinical anxiety (not just me saying I have it).

Does anyone else here experience these things? I feel pretty alone when it comes to this stuff, esp in a community where everyone seems to have a drive that I totally lack. I'd love some advice, pointers, new friends...something.

Do you think maybe it's biplar disorder? Mainly because I have it, and I feel the same way you do. Or it could be depression. Sometimes I will cycle through the day. For example, yesterday I ate like 2-3 servings of pad thai, my favorite. I felt my mood dip instantly. Don't know if it's the carbs, but I noticed if I eat too much carbs or fat, my mood gets in the dumps. However, when I eat fruits and vegetables, and complex carbs, I am mostly smiling and laughing. Plus, I don't feel as bloated.

Also, do you drink a lot of caffeine? I noticed when I do I get major jitters and it makes my illness worse. Anxiety attacks? Yes, I know what that's about. Also, exercise is key! To boost mood and seritonin levels.

I don't know if you feel the same way, but being in a good mood is not as common to me as bad moods. And when I eat good and work out, and my mood raises, it's kind of uncomfortable sometimes, because it's out of my comfort zone. I know....sounds wierd. Anyway, I hope I gave you good advice, and answered your questions okay.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you area mental health pro, you KNOW you need to get help. Once you do that, I have a suggestion that worked for me. I watched job openings in the paper and online until I saw something that appealed to me. I had a few job interviews and finally got a different job. Any new employer who's worth going to work for will give you 2 weeks to square things up with your current employer. Never leave a job immediately, because your new employer will assume you may just walk off one day without giving them notice as well. You can find a fantastic new job while you are still working. You can take your time and find EXACTLY what you want without pressure to accept anything that's not totally right for you. I was SO happy with my decision to look for other employment while still working. It really gives you the edge for bargaining and finding what's right for you. Good luck!

Oh, never say anything negative about your current employer to a prospective new employer. Just say you are looking for a change or that you feel your full potential isn't being utilized. A professional new place of employment will honor your request not to contact your current employer. Go for it!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    have you tried yoga? It can be very relaxing
  • _Shelley_
    Options

Do you think maybe it's biplar disorder? Mainly because I have it, and I feel the same way you do. Or it could be depression. Sometimes I will cycle through the day. For example, yesterday I ate like 2-3 servings of pad thai, my favorite. I felt my mood dip instantly. Don't know if it's the carbs, but I noticed if I eat too much carbs or fat, my mood gets in the dumps. However, when I eat fruits and vegetables, and complex carbs, I am mostly smiling and laughing. Plus, I don't feel as bloated.

Also, do you drink a lot of caffeine? I noticed when I do I get major jitters and it makes my illness worse. Anxiety attacks? Yes, I know what that's about. Also, exercise is key! To boost mood and seritonin levels.

I don't know if you feel the same way, but being in a good mood is not as common to me as bad moods. And when I eat good and work out, and my mood raises, it's kind of uncomfortable sometimes, because it's out of my comfort zone. I know....sounds wierd. Anyway, I hope I gave you good advice, and answered your questions okay.

Thank you for the advice. It's weird because I don't notice any correlations between food/mood or exercise/mood. Honestly, it changes in a matter of hours, sometimes minutes. It's crippling.
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    If you area mental health pro, you KNOW you need to get help. Once you do that, I have a suggestion that worked for me. I watched job openings in the paper and online until I saw something that appealed to me. I had a few job interviews and finally got a different job. Any new employer who's worth going to work for will give you 2 weeks to square things up with your current employer. Never leave a job immediately, because your new employer will assume you may just walk off one day without giving them notice as well. You can find a fantastic new job while you are still working. You can take your time and find EXACTLY what you want without pressure to accept anything that's not totally right for you. I was SO happy with my decision to look for other employment while still working. It really gives you the edge for bargaining and finding what's right for you. Good luck!

Oh, never say anything negative about your current employer to a prospective new employer. Just say you are looking for a change or that you feel your full potential isn't being utilized. A professional new place of employment will honor your request not to contact your current employer. Go for it!

Thank you! I've been job hunting for a few months. Just one interview so far, got the job, but unfortunately it wasn't going to work out for me. I'm hoping something comes soon.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options

That is really useful information and explains why I am in such a funk right now after what seemed like a great day.

To Shelley, please feel free to add me. I was diagnosed with clinical depression in college and when I was 31 the doctor said it was bipolar disorder. I also have anxiety issues and ADD. I hate that I am on meds, and will admit a few times a year I decide I don't want to be dependent on them and quit. Always a bad idea. You'd think I'd learn. I go to counseling every other week and my therapist has been a huge help. It took switching them around to find one that works well for me.

I really have no advice, and today started out great but now I am at a low. I think I can understand some of what you feel. (((hugs)))
  • catramsey2
    catramsey2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    mental health professionals need a therapist to help with the issue they have to deal with and keep from transferring the issues to themselves which can cause depression

Most therapists have their own therapist for this very reason. So it goes with mental health professionals
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    mental health professionals need a therapist to help with the issue they have to deal with and keep from transferring the issues to themselves which can cause depression

Most therapists have their own therapist for this very reason. So it goes with mental health professionals

We learned this in social work 101, haha. I have an LCSW supervisor, kind of the same, but I can't process in the same fashion. Time for me to go thru my network and find a covered therapist :)
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you need help there is no shame in it. You may have a hormone imbalance or other health issues which you probably know more about than I do. I know for me, going on birth control seemed to help my moods a lot. But, I had to find one without estrogen. Maybe that was my only problem but I'm fairly certain I'm bipolar otherwise. My boyfriend has been diagnosed as bipolar and I exhibited a lot of the same behaviors as him. So, ups, downs, anxiety, sitting on the bathroom floor sobbing, I know how you feel. Don't put it all on yourself. You encourage people everyday to get help and seek treatment. Do you think they should be trying to do it alone? Do you think they should be ashamed? Do something for yourself and take the step out of your comfort zone. You know you want to but are worrying about the medication? Maybe your body will respond well and you'll only have positive effects. You'll never know until you try them. We all care for and support you. So, be strong and make an appointment.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    And my life outside of work isn't all that fantastic either.

Start small, and start here.

We can talk all day about the things you can't do. Try to some up with things you actually CAN do. Good luck.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Low sugar causes anxiety, confusion, agitation...just to name a few.

I experience that, and it is incredibly unpleasant.
    If you need help there is no shame in it.

MANY, if not ALL, people have mental health issues at some point. If you take medicine for a cold, then getting therapy for anxiety is as simple of a conclusion. Take care of yourself. It is very much ok to get help, completely encouraged. You will probably get well on your own. But with help, you will get well faster (in many cases, much faster).
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    Thank you everyone :heart: It means a lot.
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My entire life has pretty much involved drastic life changing scenarios and for the past 5 years I have had to adjust to entirely new lifestyles. I moved about 3 times. Didn't get to graduate from high school, my sister had to undergo two brain surgeries and that's just the gist of it. I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it gets so bad that I wake up in the middle of the night and my heart is pounding! I seriously know how you feel because the feeling you mentioned sounds exactly like me. But, one of the things I noticed that really affected my mood was birth control. I switched three different birth control methods and none of them have worked well for me. I cry for no reason, get mad for the littlest things and all that. I also don't eat right some days and I know that seriously affects my moods as well.

Anyway, if you ever need anyone to talk to, then let me know. I know that I would like someone to talk to about this as well. Seems I'm not the only one suffering
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way too. I began when I was in my teens. After suffering panic attacks after the birth of one of my kids I went to a shrink (can't spell the proper name, not being flippant!) thinking it was postpartum depression. It was diagnosed as hormonal- PMS for years and now it's menopause. When my son was diagnosed with bipolar he said he thinks I have it but I don't know if I agree. I did go for therapy for panic attacks a few years ago when things got really bad after some tragic loses in my life. It was cognitive behaviour therapy which helped with the panic attacks. Give it a try- the worst that will happen is nothing, the best that will happen is an improvement!
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had awful hormonal issue a couple month ago back. I was feel very anxious, not feel calm, and felt very stressed out about everything, even the little stuff. I could tell I was depressed. On top of that, I had a hard time holding my bladder and had IBS. I felt very alone and had a difficult time with life. After I went on BC and started dieting, it helped me so much! I feel loads better and back to myself.

I really do think that it is stress. Stress is very difficult to lose weight! I do think that maybe it might be low net calories like someone above said. Don't give up! You aren't alone. Feel free to add if you want someone to talk about with!