Pics: 5'5" and down from 193 to 171

Options
hollych83
hollych83 Posts: 8 Member
I've never been skinny (size 14 and ~180 pounds in high school) and, while I eat fairly healthy, I've never been one to exercise. In the ten years since high school, I gained weight to be around 193 (or a few pounds higher) and size 16. My boyfriend took a candid picture of me last fall when I was gathering for a group picture with some of my friends. The picture showed my side view.....eek! I've always thought I looked okay when facing the camera but the side view was a little shocking! So, I slowly began to exercise with some co-workers using workout DVDs.

Starting in early January 2012, I joined MFP and increased the intensity and frequency of my workouts. I also found a great workout buddy and that has been vital to my success!!! I began running 0.5 mile intervals on the treadmill and now I'm running 2 or 3 miles without stopping. I've started running outside this spring and enrolled in Zumba classes, too! I try to exercise at least 5 days per week and I generally don't eat back too many of my exercise calories.

My favorite healthy foods: Pink Lady apples, clementines, thin buns for sandwiches, yogurt, soup, fruit smoothies, baby carrots, Trader Joe's Corn Tortilla flatbreads + ham + honey mustard, Cappuccino Delight Slim Fast, Chai Tea + Splenda with Fiber

SW: 193
CW: 171 pounds
GW: ~145 or a size 8

beforeduring.jpg

Now that I've lost 22 pounds I tried to recreate that candid picture from last fall. I'm wearing the same shirt but smaller pants (size 14 from Eddie Bauer several years ago) and both articles of clothing are very baggy! I'm a teacher and I want to wait and buy new, smaller clothes in August!

I'm considering running my first 5K in two weeks.....any tips for me?!?

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look fab! I highly recommend the Couch to 5k program. Start slow and try not to get discouraged in the beginning. Properly fitting running shoes are a must. Keep up the great work!
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look great. What a difference. Keep up the great work. Very inspiring!
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Good for you! We have a few things in common! I joined in Jan 2012 and have lost about the same
    amount of weight in that time frame too! I'm also a teacher. Way to go! Keep up the good work!
  • mllyons
    mllyons Posts: 2
    Options
    WOW - CONGRATULATIONS! Keep it going, what you are doing is working and amazing difference!
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    holy moly! what a difference!!! good job:)
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    WOW!! You look so great! Our stats are pretty similar (I'm 5'5" and just started MFP this week @ 196pds) so your post is super inspirational to me :)))

Calorie counting has been very enlightening to me...it's been a real wake up call in terms of just how many calories I was consuming in the past, LOL.

Keep up the great work. It's good to hear that you're enjoying running; it's something that I really would love to learn to love, but I find even a slow jog pretty overwhelming right now. All in good time I suppose.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wow! I can really see a difference in your face, neck, arms and waist! You look great! I hate to run so no tips except I agree with the good shoes. I bought cheap shoes when I started this over a year ago now and after 2 months I was getting blisters. Now I wear Nike's and no more blisters and it's been 5 months. Good Luck!
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    You're looking great, congratulations!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    great work :D
  • hollych83
    Options
    Thank you for all of the kind words! I still have a long way to go so last month I set some mini goals and rewards along the way:

Immediate goals (by April 15):
    +Fit into my favorite jeans √wore them on March 30 and they're already baggy!
    +Weigh 170 pounds or less
    =Reward of acupuncture which might help with weight management

Short term goals (by June 1):
    +Weigh 162 pounds or less
    +Wear a size 12 and be more comfortable in size Large dress shirts
    +Run 3 miles outside without stopping (10 min mile)
    =Reward of new running shoes and a new swimsuit to swim laps this summer

Medium term goals (by August 10):
    +Weigh 152 pounds or less
    +Wear a size 10 by the beginning of the school year (so I can buy new dress clothes!)
    +Register for a 5K
    =Reward of new clothes

Long term goal (by December 1):
    +To be ~140 pounds and wear a size 8 (I honestly can't even imagine what that would be like!)
    =Reward of a trip to a warmer place

When I took the picture today I was a little shocked --- I'd seen the scale go down but didn't realize just how noticeable 22 pounds would be!
  • Sana1116
    Sana1116 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    wooow great loss! keep up the good work! if you dont mind me asking...what were you keeping your calories around? I know you said you dont' eat the exercise calories back....so I was just wondering!
  • hollych83
    Options
    I usually aim for 1200-1500 calories.

I try to avoid carbs because if I eat very much bread/chips/pasta the scale goes in the wrong direction! I eat a lot of fruit, salads, yogurt, and soup. I've seen a lot of quick progress lately by eating soup (Progresso Light) in the evening and it leaves me satisfied!

Good luck!
  • Cindygutie
    Cindygutie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • CHAREZ27
    CHAREZ27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is very inspiring!! I am realizing that I need to stick with it so I can see results. Keep going!!!!
  • Cpuff70
    Cpuff70 Posts: 153
    Options
    Nice job!
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Nice work. Congratulations on you success.
  • bajannadz
    bajannadz Posts: 13
    Options
    great job! you look greatt
  • hollych83
    Options
    Thank you for all of your comments and encouragement!

I'm having a rough day -- I think I have hamstring tendonitis or maybe something worse. The area behind my right knee has been sore for about two weeks but it got really painful during my run yesterday and I had pain shooting up and down my leg. It's been hurting constantly today even though I've been putting an ice pack on it and haven't exercised at all. I'm not sure what to do.....

I've never been a runner or an athlete so this pain is really frustrating me. I don't want my progress to get derailed!
  • antnterrsmommy
    Options
    You look amazing!! Congrats on the great weight loss!! keep going! You can do it!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Best to have it checked out by an orthopedic MD, better safe than sorry.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!