Stuck and Frustrated!

Options
I'm in a similar predicament to many others' posts I've seen. I started trying to lose weight three months ago, started at 167. I've lost 14 pounds total, but only 4 in the last two months! I'm so frustrated and feeling so hopeless because I'm doing so many things and not getting the results. I'm 5'7", a teacher (so I walk a fair amount throughout the day).

For workouts, I work out 4-6 times a week, doing strength 2-3x, cardio 4-6. Typically I burn between 500-1000 calories each day. The workouts are different everyday. I also try to get 10,000 steps every day.

I eat about 1500 calories a day (I was trying to stay around 1200 for the first two months, then when I was pretty stagnant, someone suggested I eat more and might have been going into starvation mode. I then started eating every couple hours and lost the last four pounds). I stay away from most processed foods/fast foods, eat plenty of protein, lots of fruits and vegetables. I drink approximately 80oz of water every day. I also eat something every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism up.

I'm frustrated because I can't figure out how to know if I'm eating too much (and not losing weight) or not eating enough because of the amount I work out (and not losing weight). I've figured out my BMR and using the Harris-Benedict equation should be consuming about 2500 calories a day to stay at my current weight.

My thyroid is fine, I've spoken with a doctor who said it will just come off slower and he wasn't concerned. Just hoping to hear similar stories and hopefully some helpful advice!

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Typically I burn between 500-1000 calories each day
    I've figured out my BMR and using the Harris-Benedict equation should be consuming about 2500 calories a day to stay at my current weight.
    I eat about 1500 calories a day
    Is that net? If not, you're not giving yourself much to live off.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I would keep the calories the same (1500+exercise) and lay off at least 2 of the cardio sessions. You're doing too much cardio.
  • soontobemrsm
    Options
    Thanks for the insight! I've heard from others it might be too few calories and also to get rid of some of the cardio, so I'll try to take your suggestions and see what helps! Any other advice welcome, too :)
  • kimhwan92
    kimhwan92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks. It will allow your metabolism to stablize and thus continuous weight loss once you go back on deficit.