Advice for students!

Options
I'm a full time student in a very intense program, therefore I have no time. I also roommate with 3 other people so I have little room in the kitchen/refridge.

Does anyone have any advice to help me be healthier and loose weight that: A) doesnt cost much B) doesn't require alot of time and C) doesn't require me to keep a fridge full of veggies?

Replies

• greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The losing weight part is simple. Take whatever you are eating now and eat less of it. It's not easy, but it is simple. Get a food scale, some measuring cups, and use the very thorough MFP database. Enter everything you eat and don't go over your goal. You will see results if you are honest with yourself and consistent with your logging.

The healthy part will be a little bit more difficult and significantly more personal. There are plenty of opinions and research describing how you can improve your health. It involves things like more veggies and protein and less sugar. It will require more work on your part to find, store, and prepare these things. Or more cost to buy them ready made.

I eat fruit, vegetables, and yogurt every day. I find that I feel better when I eat them and worse when I don't. When I feel worse, I am more likely to eat worse food, and much more likely to exceed my calorie goal. That is how I got fat to begin with.

None of the above includes that benefits and time commitment of exercise.

If there was magic formula to help you, a time deficient student, achieve your weight loss and health goals it would work for most people and none of us would be on this forum. Unfortunately there isn't.

There is lots of great advice on the forums. Search for your specific questions. The best way to start making progress is to start.
  • kanolet
    kanolet Posts: 5
    Options
    Prepackage your snacks for the week. And if you are on the go a lot, try for items that you don't need a fridge for. Buy tiny Ziplock bags or better yet, reusable small containers (e.g., the small round Ziploc brand plasticware) and measure out portions of snacks. For example:
    pretzels
    yogurt
    cottage cheese

Make sure you have enough protein. Cut up a block of cheese into single serving chunks, wrap and store in the fridge for "grab and go" snack. Peanut butter and celery can be cut up and stored in the fridge for a few days. Wrap a little cheese in a piece of lunchmeat. Put a few of these in a single serve container. Make up the packages before you even put groceries away.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Prepackage your snacks for the week. And if you are on the go a lot, try for items that you don't need a fridge for. Buy tiny Ziplock bags or better yet, reusable small containers (e.g., the small round Ziploc brand plasticware) and measure out portions of snacks. For example:
    pretzels
    yogurt
    cottage cheese

Make sure you have enough protein. Cut up a block of cheese into single serving chunks, wrap and store in the fridge for "grab and go" snack. Peanut butter and celery can be cut up and stored in the fridge for a few days. Wrap a little cheese in a piece of lunchmeat. Put a few of these in a single serve container. Make up the packages before you even put groceries away.

Great Ideas!
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas and tips for anyone! :)
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A lot of good ideas so far! One thing that helped me is taking time at the beginning of the week to make a large batch of soup, etc. that will last me the remainder of the week. I can eat the soup as a meal, or as the side to a more quickly-to-prepare sandwich.

Drink water! It's free, and it's great for you!

I know for me, mindless snacking during studying happens, but just swapping out something high in calories with fresh fruits, veggies, and other healthy things definitely helps
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    When I was a student I had to eat out frequently. I found that subs from subway and lighter options from taco bell and salads saved me! For breakfast I would often do boiled egg and toast or cereal and yogurt. You can do it!
  • DeserveIt
    Options
    Thanks guys! These are great tips!

There aren't very many healthy (or cheap) options on campus, so I end up eating alot of subs, but the bread doesn't agree with my waistline!