Net Calories

So I am fairly new to MFP, and I am somewhat confused on the net calories. When I entered my information in at the beginning, the website told me I should be consuming about 1800 calories a day. After working out and everything is my net supposed to be 1800 or just what I consumed? If someone could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    bump
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Your net is supposed to be 1800. Calories eaten - Exercise = Net
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    on your home page it will tell you how many cals left to eat

but if you have 1800 cals to eat then burn 200 cals
    you now have 2,000 calories to eat ( 1800 +200 = 2,000)

but if you eat 1800 and not that 200 then you = 1600 ( 1800- 200 = 1600)

so yes net 1800
    but you eat back your workout cals

i probally just complicated it more than need be :flowerforyou:
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    You need to eat back your exercise cals. So yes, you need to net 1800 cals.
  • firecraker05
    firecraker05 Posts: 41 Member
    Well that makes more sense now, I was eating 1200-1800 and not eating back what I worked off. It still seems like a lot of food to eat without eating the net part of it though...
  • I think it means you want to be at zero by the end of the day. You can eat your base amount of calories plus your exercise calories to make your goal weight by whatever time you designated when you filled out your profile. I try not to eat all the calories this says I can. Sometimes I am under, sometimes over :(.
    Hope that helps!

What is bump? I have seen that many times in other posts.
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    People are going to say that you need to eat your exercise calories.

I have my reserves on that based on my experience.

If you decide to eat them be sure to eat good caloric sources, not just a 320 cals chocolate bar or something. And, welcome to MFP: best site ever!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    I think it means you want to be at zero by the end of the day. You can eat your base amount of calories plus your exercise calories to make your goal weight by whatever time you designated when you filled out your profile. I try not to eat all the calories this says I can. Sometimes I am under, sometimes over :(.
    Hope that helps!

What is bump? I have seen that many times in other posts.

It's kind of confusing, though. On your "MY HOME" the net is displayed somewhat differently than the Food Diary. . . Just eat till you get to zero net, or zero remaining on the Food Diary at the bottom.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    under the help section , it tells you about net calories

but in the end 1800 is your net (sorry to be confusing earlier)
  • ummnadir
    ummnadir Posts: 48
    Oh wow, thanks for posting this question. I never eat until it says "zero" because I know that I leave lttle things off like sauce or syrup...hmm. I think I need toeat more.