How do I add breastfeeding into my calorie plan?

Options
Hi all

I am enjoying MyFitnessPal a lot - really has made me aware of what I have been eating all these years :O. As a breastfeeding mum (5 feeds a day), how do I incorporate the fact that I am breastfeeding into my diet and exercise plan?

Thanks in advance

Vids (NZ)

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Producing milk burns about 800 calories a day. In order to take this into account you can calculate MFP's recommended goalfor you. Add 800 to it and write down that number. Then choose to manually set your goals and set your caloric intake to that.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You can add it under your foods (search breastfeeding) and it gives you a negative balance
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can add it under your foods (search breastfeeding) and it gives you a negative balance

Yep, You'll find several options available!!
  • VidhyaSritharan
    Options
    Thanks

I started this program only a week ago and have been unable to achieve my daily calorie intake allowance (always out by about 500 to 600 cal) and couldn't figure out why I was still hungry. Good that I know how to incorporate it now because I don't want my reduced calorie intake to affect my milk supply!

Bye for now

Vids
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    For right now, eating enough to make breast milk is more important than losing weight! It will come off, I promise!
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I hear you I have struggled my entire way trying to count calories and workout... I managed not to lose a pound up until now. My little one is now 10 1/2 months old and on solids as well. I had to stop before because my supply suffered. I'm almost at the 1 year mark to stop nursing and going full force with this weight loss of mine. Don't give up on either. Just keep in mind nursing is far more important and you will know when the time is right to get the weight off... Mine is now(after 8 months of trying).

Best of luck and good for you. :drinker:
  • VidhyaSritharan
    Options
    Thanks all - yes nursing is my number one priority but I also just want to keep a track to see that I am also eating healthy and snacking more wiser. The extra allowance for breastfeeding means that I know that I won't be sabotaging my milk supply - good to know.
  • mrshoneybee
    mrshoneybee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did an internet search and I found they say you need anywhere from 400-650 extra calories per day. I am nursing my 9mo. old , appx. 5 feeds per day, & also is eating some solids. I am now only using 200 calories per day for nursing allowance, and I am feeling fine, and milk supply is fine....I think everyone is different.
  • airika8oh
    airika8oh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I was wondering this too- now it seems I've found an answer! Thanks
  • twojurfin
    twojurfin Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns about 20 cal per ounce. So, if you know how much you are feeding, for example if you pump, then you can do the math. It is a great cal burn all said and done!
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I read the topic title I wondered how much breast milk you were drinking.

I log it a normal whole milk, I guess. ;-)
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    add 500 calories.
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    My baby is partially breastfed because I've never been able to produce sufficient milk with all my kids. Luckily this time I've been able to keep it going, just enough to comfort the baby. He gets about an ounce per feeding (thats how much I can pump usually) You burn about 20 cals per ounce so everytime I breastfeed I just search breastfeeding in the food database and select the -20 cal one!
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns about 20 cal per ounce. So, if you know how much you are feeding, for example if you pump, then you can do the math. It is a great cal burn all said and done!

The problem with this is a pump is not a good indicator of milk supply as a baby is more efficient at removing milk than even the best pumps.
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I started of at 500 extra, and then just slowly weaned it down as he nursed less and less. As of a month ago I no longer nurse, but before we weaned completely I was down to logging only 100 for night feedings =)
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would think it would depend on how old your baby is and how often he/she breastfeeds. There are a ton of options. Maddy still breastfeeds about 5 times a day and I allow myself 200 calories and it seems to work. (she also eats some solids) I started this last Sept and have had absolutely no issues with supply.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    When I read the topic title I wondered how much breast milk you were drinking.

I log it a normal whole milk, I guess. ;-)

OMG! Exactly what I was thinking!!!
  • KatiesRunnersHigh
    Options
    my baby is 7 weeks old. are you all saying you can't lose weight while breAst feeding? or it just may take longer because of the added calories? because i have 60lbs to lose asap :) of course while watching my supply
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Some people find that serious exercise or calorie restriction adversely affects their supply. I was one of them, and had to gain weight to maintain what little supply I had.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    my baby is 7 weeks old. are you all saying you can't lose weight while breAst feeding? or it just may take longer because of the added calories? because i have 60lbs to lose asap :) of course while watching my supply

Of course you can still lose weight, however you need more calories breastfeeding than another woman who has the same weight, height and activity level as you do but is not breastfeeding. You use extra calories to make milk therefore you need to take extra calories in.

You just need to figure those extra calories in. You'd be surprised however how fast your weight might come off without dieting while exclusively breastfeeding. I lost 50 lbs without even trying after I had my daughter.

Another option for you would be to eat your maintanence calories and just exercise more frequently.