How Do I Avoid Fast Food?

Options

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Chipotle and Subway have calorie info online and you should be able to easily eat there while staying in a calorie deficit.

THIS!

I <3 Chipotle!
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So, I never really liked BK/McDonalds as a kid. But, if I do eat food from there, I choose a salad. It's not the best salad ever, but it's better than the bacon-double-steakburger-supreme-a-la-mode.

Actually, all kidding aside, you lose a taste for the greasy fast food as you continue to eat well. I can swing by BK and grab burgers for my kids and not want anything. (My kids play school sports and run 6-minute miles, so all good.)

So, choose a salad. Or, choose better fast food. A Subway Club is a good salad or sub (am not a fan of Subway bread) ... or a Subway ham and turkey. Forget the cheese at Subway, as it does not really add good taste. Use mustard instead of mayo, light mayo if you must. Add tons of veggies.

Cheers,

Sean

Actually no, if you check the ingredients, the cheeseburger vs. the prepackaged salad from McDonalds, you will find that their salads contain a butt load of preservatives and anti-browning agents to keep the salad crunchy and fresh. Their cheeseburgers on the other hand, with exception of the ketchup are almost 100% whole foods.

Very cool. Thank you for the correction!

I don't eat there anyway, but figure if I am at BK, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc., a salad is a better choice. I actually probably need some more preservatives and anti-browning agents, given my age, so all good. ;-P

Cheers,

Sean
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Is food from a catering or taco truck considered fast food? I mean those trucks typically drive pretty slow on the freeway.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Pita Pit and Subway are good choices, and Applebee's has some really good items under 600 calories.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Move to the country. Ain't no fast food joints out here. Just cows and coyotes.:smile:

Baked road kill is probably great for you, if you have had your rabies shots. LOL.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    I love preplanning my snacks.

Try buying some of these and keeping them around for munchies: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-clif-bar-oatmeal-raisin-walnut-i86855.

Cheers,

Sean
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pre-made snacks from home are best, but......

If you HAVE to eat out some place like McD's or BK, opt for the 4 piece nugget kids meal with Apple fries and milk (Chocolate or plain is fine). Very filling and gentle on the calories.
    Also, Sandwich Shops are a good option if you load up on the veggies and skimp on the "dressings". Try for the whole wheat, but don't beat yourself up if it's not available. Also try to keep it "normal human" sized.
    Also, Taco Bell has a budget friendly menu. Try their Spanish rice with a regular or soft shelled taco.
    As always, skip the soda and opt for water.
    There are literally TONS of options to keep you within range, you just have to do a little research and make wise decisions.
    Look into the Eat-This-Not-That series if you haven't already. They have the dirt on just about every food place.

Good luck to you!!:flowerforyou:
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Easy: don't go eat and just wait until you're home. There's no reason why you can't wait to eat. Sure, maybe you might be a little hunger but just hold off until you get back home. Simple.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pita Pit and Subway are good choices, and Applebee's has some really good items under 600 calories.

Applebee's ~~~ While their calories are low, their sodium content is through the ROOF!!!
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options

Applebee's ~~~ While their calories are low, their sodium content is through the ROOF!!!

Unless you have a medical condition with doctor's orders to avoid sodium, there's no reason to obsess over it. It's not a poison.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Not all fast food is a problem. Most of them have nutrition information online and hand-outs in the restaurants (you have to ask for them). Chipotle and Subway have already been mentioned... Baja Fresh, and there's a sushi place I like, but it's not a chain. Check out the information online. Figure out a few things you can eat. Mix that with a few of the suggestions here about how to make your own prepared in advance foods. Good luck!
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Chipotle and Subway have calorie info online and you should be able to easily eat there while staying in a calorie deficit.

THIS!

I <3 Chipotle!

+1
  • kanwilso
    kanwilso Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anytime I choose to go out to eat, the one stipulation is that I have to research the food before I go and plan what to order before I get there, if I am in a situation where I have to be out to eat (family event or something) where there are no online resources to review, I order grilled chicken plain with a non potato vegetable (no butter added)...that is all I can be fairly sure will be close to a reasonable amount of calories. If I choose to go to a fast food place, it is the same thing. I don't eat the bread and only eat the chicken breast and the tomato and lettuce. Some places have fruit and yogurt and I will order that without the granola or other toppings...but it all counts the same like any other meal I have and it has to fit in my calorie intake for the day. I also use myfitnesspal app on my phone to check the calories before I order anything out. .:happy:

3642857.png
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    like a truck...good night!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Easy: don't go eat and just wait until you're home. There's no reason why you can't wait to eat. Sure, maybe you might be a little hunger but just hold off until you get back home. Simple.

Some people travel (perhaps as part of their job) regularly, and fasting for 2 weeks is not really a good option.

Let's not be so judgmental -- what's simple for you is not always simple for someone else.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    I travel. I can find granola bars at walmart and a gym, of sorts, at my hotel. Otherwise, focus on veggies.

Cheers,

Sean
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I watched Food Inc before I go out. lol
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Some people travel (perhaps as part of their job) regularly, and fasting for 2 weeks is not really a good option.

Let's not be so judgmental -- what's simple for you is not always simple for someone else.

I'm not being judgemental whatsoever. Also, fasting for 2 weeks ... ? 2 weeks straight? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
  • Kikilarue59
    Kikilarue59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a busy woman and I have done the fast food route. I choose Subway sandwiches, I go to Panera Bread where they list all their calorie counts on the overhead menu. YAY.
    You can do Chilpolte, Hold the Cheese, guac, take a small dollop of Sour cream. Etc. The quality of the food is great at Chilpolte.
    For Wendy's/ They tend to have great Salads. I go for those.

I stay away from KFC, and Burger King. Hope that helps. Kiki
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Panera is huge calories.

Sean