Good post gym breakfast whilst on the move?

Options
I'm starting back on placement soon (I'm a student teacher) and am planning to do the gym three times a week in the morning before I get to school. So I'll be aiming to get to the gym when it opens at 7am and then having an hours workout. Problem is, breakfast. I don't really like eating before I go to the gym beyond something like a banana so I can't really have breakfast beforehand so that means that I need to find a breakfast that I can have once I get to school. There's a kettle and a microwave but that's it, any suggestions for something that would be good post workout?

Replies

• jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    maybe an egg sandwich that is made a head of time and bring some protein powder to mix up as a drink?
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You can scramble eggs in the microwave too if you'd prefer something hot.
  • Bhabs10
    Bhabs10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Bars
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. I was going to say I get protein powder actually. An egg sandwich could be good, hadn't thought of that actually. I'll have a look at scrambling eggs in the microwave too, though don't want to stick out the staff room! I'm not sure if they do the Special K protein bars over here in the UK but I'll keep an eye out for them.
  • jaric01
    jaric01 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I have no time to cook, I grab a protein bar or shake, or sometimes a yogurt and a fruit.

If I have time, I make an eggwhite sandwich - 2 eggs over hard (take out the yolk) on wheat with a slice of deli ham or turkey. Take me about 5 mins.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the morning, I make a protein smoothie (scoop of protein powder and fruit with coconut milk or juice) and then drink a little bit of it on my drive to the gym so I have something in my stomach before I work out and then the rest of it after, and then a cereal bar if I've had a really tough work out and feel like I need a few extra calories. It's been working really well for me!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I made these last week and tossed in the fridge, make a great to-go thing. Only prob is that the paper cups are hard to peel off, I should have baked right in the muffin pan and then set in a paper cup. Made 12 "muffins"

My basic recipe adapted from the wonderful, awesome Mel over at The Clothes Make the Girl http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/

Big bag frozen spinach
    6 eggs
    6 pieces bacon, baked and chopped
    onion chopped
    tomato chopped
    salt and pepper

mix and bake in muffin tins until eggs set.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I made these last week and tossed in the fridge, make a great to-go thing. Only prob is that the paper cups are hard to peel off, I should have baked right in the muffin pan and then set in a paper cup. Made 12 "muffins"

My basic recipe adapted from the wonderful, awesome Mel over at The Clothes Make the Girl http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/

Big bag frozen spinach
    6 eggs
    6 pieces bacon, baked and chopped
    onion chopped
    tomato chopped
    salt and pepper

mix and bake in muffin tins until eggs set.

My ingredients made for a 56 cal muffin
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ooh I've made something like that before actually, they're pretty good. Thanks :)
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience when I student taught (back in the Jurassic era), so I used to grab a yogurt, milk and fruit for a belated breakfast, just before the kiddos arrived. Aim for protein *and* complex carbs for a breakfast that will stick with you, not make you crash before lunch.
  • Angelangi
    Angelangi Posts: 35
    Options
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271446674

try this, i put a banana in too and it is really filling, but filling even without the banana.
    i have this every morning about an hour before i go to the gym.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    pre-make your protein shake, with juice, frozen fruit and yogurt.
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I pack my breakfast to work everyday after gym too! Love every bit of it. (And I photograph it for kicks lol!). Here, have a look: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/gooiyw
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is suppose to be a good post work out drink. Make your smoothie ahead of time. Hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt.
  • Rozlynmac
    Rozlynmac Posts: 71
    Options
    Nature Valley Bars - a pack of 2 bars is about 195 cals and they're pretty tasty. I eat them for breakfast on days I'm not having porridge, if need be I top up with dried fruit around 11am and that keeps me going nicely until after 1pm (I go to the gym at lunch time and find that's enough to get me through the morning and my workout)

I make protein shake using skimmed milk, blend it & stick in the fridge in a flask the night before. Just take the flask and give it a shake when you're ready to drink it.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Whipping up a smoothie or protein shake to have afterwards could be the way to go. If not, maybe a protein or granola bar (be careful with the latter, as some are full of sugar), a piece of fruit and yogurt?

Ooh, also, I don't know if you're an oats/porridge person, but you said you had a microwave at work. You could try Quaker Oat So Simple? They're sachets of porridge oats and you can even pour milk into the empty sachet afterwards to get the right amount. Then just pop it into the microwave for 2 - 2 1/2 minutes and it's ready.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs.

Boil 'em
    Cool 'em
    Peel 'em
    Put 'em in an airtight container.

Work out.

Eat 'em