what exercise can i do today with 3 small kiddies?

Options
i am in uk so weather is cold, its school holidays so im at home with my 4yr old, 2yr old and 10month old children. i want to do some exercise that can involve kids?

any ideas, local park is closed so not an option

thanks

Replies

• healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    put some music on and dance around:smile: My kids love it when I do that with them and it can be quite a workout. Especially if you take turns holding each one as you dance! have fun!!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Close the curtains, dim the lights crank up the music and have a mini disco. My girls love that (7 and 4).
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    get on the floor and copy everything your 2 yr old does, you'll burn loads of cals!!!
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When my kids were younger, we would play a game together that would get in great exercise! We would all stand in a big circle and take turns being the leader and the leader would come up with what we would do for 1 minute. You can decide how many each person can come up with at a time. You might want to start to give them an idea of what to do. (jumping jacks, bunny hops, crab walk) They loved it! Its fun and the best part is you get to spend time with the kids and get in exercise!
  • JWolf7911
    JWolf7911 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree, dance!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    DANCE!! It's soooo fun with the kids and burns a crock-load of cals. If you have a Wii or Kinect that could be good too.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I sometimes put the exercise channel (just the freebie one) on and get the boys (3 and 5) to join in.

Completely understand your challenge though - I did the 30 day shred dvd last night once they had gone to bed as couldn't fit anything in yest and planning to do the same tonight. Have worked out the best time is when they are in bed - just have to stay motivated.

Roll on next week when their back to school and I can get back to the gym every morning!!
  • enimini
    enimini Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi!
    Search you tube for burst training excersises. Basically, they are a form of short but intense form of excersises that are know to be very effective in weightloss. You only need 10-20 min worth of time. Good luck!:laugh:
  • Natalie182
    Natalie182 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Close the curtains hide the rain and dance around =]
    I just checked out your profile and you look great considering you have 3 children =] Great job! I have a 9 month old and i struggle!! xx
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Jump squats, squats with one kid on your back... jump rope... dancing. Push ups, have them do what you are doing, my kids love that!

Why is the park closed?! What a shame! Good luck surviving!!! And have a blast!
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree about the dance party. I do that with my two boys and it's so much fun. Plus, it's quality time with the kids! :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    DANCE! Put on some fast music, or if you have a dancing game for a gaming system (Wii, X-Box), do that! My kids love those dancing games.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Dance! Look up Zumba videos for free on youtube!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Dwarf tossing?
    works the arms and back!
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great, you could also do an indoor obstacle course with a story, definitely following your young ones will definitely burn many, many calories.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    jump rope, jumping jacks, box jumps, push ups with child on your back, bicep curl the baby, tricep dips with child on your lap, sit ups with baby on your belly and "kiss the nose" as you sit up, hop on one foot, hop on the other, squats with baby in arms or older child on your back, lunges, side lunges....

You can do it all with the kids...make it a game or contest for 30 mins....have stations where every 3 mins or so, you change what you are doing...

If it is cold, so what...bundle them up and go out and walk fast, or run....you will all be warm n a few minutes and the fresh air is good for them ( I live in the NorthEast of the States, so I know all about cold weather, if I didn't go out in the cold I wouldn't be outside for months on end!)
  • dngortegae
    dngortegae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Dance! I have a 9 month old and he likes to be lifted into the air, so I do that to work out my arms. As for the 2 year old, they can also be used as weights. Lay down on your back, bring your knees up and the 2 year old sit on your feet, facing you. Lift your legs up and down, this turns the 2 year old upside down, which they love. It is a great leg work out. Aim for 25 of those. calf lifts with the older child. Good luck! :smile:
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Google Tabata training. Super way to lose weight, especially when you are under pressure time wise, can do it in your own home.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Close the curtains, dim the lights crank up the music and have a mini disco. My girls love that (7 and 4).

Definitely this. And they keep loving it for a remarkably long time. If you have flashy lights, even better!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Dwarf tossing?
    works the arms and back!

:laugh:

Not such a bad idea. At family gatherings, I like to play Strong Uncle Darren and do shoulder presses and bicep curls with one niece holding on to each hand. Perfect work before eating a hefty meal. I think I may struggle in 10 years time, though, when they're 18. "Aw crap, my back!"

I also impress them with L-sits (which they can do but they attend gym classes!)... let's face it, none of the other adults are able to do this. :o)