Carry-over calories ??

Options
Does anybody carry over unused calories from days that you're under for the day to use them on "cheat" days? I am thinking of allowing myself to do this so that I can still enjoy some weekend bar-b-ques, picnics and such without feeling guilty.

Replies

• b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't but as long as you are keeping pretty good track and think that your numbers are accurate, shouldn't hurt in the long term.
  • horsesandhipbones
    Options
    I do, and it seems to have worked pretty well so far!
  • vipergts223
    vipergts223 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I dont carry over, but i'm sure some people do. I normally dont eat back much of my exercise calories either.

But If I knew I had an event I had to go to that involved some serious food, I would just hit the gym a little longer than morning, Your net calories would still be ok that way.
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. It's especially helpful on days that I burn a LOT of calories. I have trouble eating that day but feel like I am starving the next day no matter how much food I shovel into my face. lol
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing Weight Watchers does it in their program. I think I will try it because sometimes you can't exercise to make up for extra calories
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes and it's worked ok so far. Last week my brother made homemade pizza for Wrestlemania (I stayed for the pizza and left after the first match haha). It put me over my daily goal by about 900 calories, so I ate 300 less for the next 3 days. My weekly total ended up about right and I still lost 1lb by the end of the week. If I had a deficit one day and wanted to eat a bit more the next I'd do that too.

As long as my diet doesn't swing too wildly from one extreme to the other I aim more for the weekly total than the daily one.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is the reason i include exercise into my tdee calculation. Deficits can be looked at over a weeks time.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    They are the friday night calories. I look at them as like "savings in a bank account", there for a rainy day, or night
  • sparkle2011
    sparkle2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have just joined the site on Tuesday, doing ok so far. If anyone would like to add as a friend that would be nice. I went to the gym today and earned 400 calories am I suppose to eat these? Will I still loose weight? Thank you xxx
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    No only use the calories allowed for that day
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I do this. Yesterday, for example, I'd only eaten 1,150 calories by the end of the day but really didn't feel like stuffing in any more. So I'll eat a little extra today or tomorrow.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Sure you can do it your deficit for weight loss just has to stay the same for a week so as long as you still have a deficit at the end of the week you are good. Just don't go too far under just to have enough to eat or drink on the weekend. It is called zigzagging. Google it. There is lots of info online.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to be over and under calories as long as I net 1200 everyday and stick to an average of net 1500 (my MFP goal to lose 1lb a week). It seems to be working and it helps me make this a lifestyle not a diet. If I stuck rigidly I would miss out on lots of things I enjoy doing and there is no way I will do that the next 70 years!
    Your body doesn't know it's midnight when your cals switch over and your metabolism cannot change that fast from day to day
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I don't aim to carry over, but I will use some "banked" calories if I have a special occasion that I don't want to feel guilty about.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I do this! I don't really care what others say, because I'd rather 'bank' 200 calories each day and then not have to feel guilty on a saturday when I'm having a kebab or ice cream or whatever. I still eat over 1000 calories a day which is plenty for me, I don't go hungry at all because I eat the right things. Your body doesn't work on a strict 24 hour basis, think of it that way. Look at it in a way that as long as your calories are in check at the end of the week, then you are fine

Enjoy!
    x

*I should add that 'starvation mode' is a myth. I've eaten about 1000/1050 cal per day since I started MFP in January, and I've lost 35 pounds so far. x
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have just joined the site on Tuesday, doing ok so far. If anyone would like to add as a friend that would be nice. I went to the gym today and earned 400 calories am I suppose to eat these? Will I still loose weight? Thank you xxx

Yes eat your exercise calories back. You're looking for net calories consumed, so if you burn an extra 400 you should eat them back (in a healthy way, obv.)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    In addition to my spike day, I use up any calories I didn't use during the week every Sunday. It works for me.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    interesting information, guys, thanks :)
  • katetaylor999
    katetaylor999 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I generally try to keep my calories around where they should be but on gym days they are usually a bit under, however it gives me a little more freedom at weekends when I don't go to the gym. I work mine over the week and make sure that my weekly calorie goal is pretty spot on target (to within 50-100 calories) and it seems to be working ok for me.
  • lpeterson
    lpeterson Posts: 36
    Options
    I go out to the bars at least once sometimes twice every weekend so I like to bank up a few hundred calories everyday knowing those are going to be my drinking calories on the weekend and it has worked great for me.