Advice on how to work on arms if you're a girl please!

Options
I have lost 21lbs so far through calorie counting and exercise (bike riding and swimming) but would like to know the best way to get results on my arms. Where even to start!?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help, and feel free to add me as a contact :)

Replies

• heymari
    heymari Posts: 36
    Options
    try doing yoga or pilates...or BOTH:) they're a great way to tone up not only your arms, but your whole body. don't believe me? check it out for yourself: i took a picture of my arm in january and my arm in march after doing pilates and such. (it's posted on my mfp pictures).

good luck :)
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Mine are starting to get better from bench presses, overhead presses and barbell or dumbbell rows.

Hopefully more people comment who have more experience. It seems to be working for me.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Try this workout!

I have promoted it in my gym (I run an Anytime Fitness) and so far the girls have loved it :)

http://www.anytimehealth.com/blog/13823-hi-betty-workout
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    The same way guys work on there arms?
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

^^this...lift heavy weights...did wonders on my arms
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting - bench press / bent over row / tricep kicks

While you're at it may as well add in squats and deadlifts for an all-over bod conditioning ;)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym: lift and lift heavy...you will not get bulky or big! Try: lat pulldown, bicep curls, tricep extensions, rowing, shoulder press, front raises, side raises, upright rows...do 3 sets of 8-10 reps each either all on same day and take 2 days off, or work different muscle groups on alternating days...your weight should be heavy enough that the first set of reps is easy-ish, 2nd is not, 3rd is you cannot complete...

If doing it at home (can do these in gym, too): Push-ups and tricep dips work wonders, planks, side planks, push up jacks....etc...
  • riri313
    riri313 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    for toning and not building low weight with high reps.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lift heavy weights

-or-

you can buy this really great dvd and pick up some hand weights (Jackie Personal Trainer) from any Walmart/Target/Video Store (this is more low weights and high reps)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    for toning and not building low weight with high reps.

^Please stop spreading myths

Lift heavy...you will NOT Bulk up if you are in a caloric deficit. And even if you weren't you won't get "man arms" *eye row*
  • lisaleone71
    Options
    So let's say I'm a girl who needs to lose a lot of weight and I don't have easy access to a gym.... could someone please give guidance for those who may have, say, a set of 8 lb dumbbells and a resistance band? I am focusing on cardio to start but I do try to get 20 minutes 4 times a week to work on my arms and back. But I am not sure I'm doing it right.Buying equipment or getting to a gym is not an option for me at the moment....

Oh I should mention I have problems with pushups due to a lower back injury. When I do them, I do them from the knees and not the feet.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You don't have to lift weights period to work your arms and you definitely don't have to lift heavy. A lot of people will try to convince you that a woman needs to lift heavy and that's not true. I'm one woman that doesn't believe in lifting heavy and never will lift heavy.

Preview arm workouts on Collagevideo.com to see what interests you and also compare the price of the workouts to Amazon.com.

Tonight, if the Lord says the same, I doing Tae Bo Power. It works the arms.
  • HealthInBalance
    Options
    Good job on the weight loss! Do you go to a gym? If you do, which one?
  • adoptakalyn
    Options
    If lifting scares you there are also ressistance base exercises that gain the same results, a few are:
    tricep dib
    push up
    pike push up
    pull ups

*and there are a bunch more using a resistance band :)
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is really helping my arms - I look down at them often and go "oooh".
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have lost 21lbs so far through calorie counting and exercise (bike riding and swimming) but would like to know the best way to get results on my arms. Where even to start!?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help, and feel free to add me as a contact :)

What kind of results?
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Push/pull exercises. Pushups and pullups are great, however, many women have trouble with them. Lifting heavy weights will increase your strength until you are able to perform these basic exercises. My arms have gotten smaller and more defined since I started lifting heavy weights.
  • HealthInBalance
    Options
    Whole body weight training is necessary to increase muscle mass because with every 1 pound of muscle gained you lose an extra 30-100 calories/day. Because the muscles in the legs are the largest muscle groups in the body, really focus on weigh training in this area (that doesn't mean you can forget about the upper body though! :) Try to Google the following: "How to work the legs with a resistance band" You will see plenty of ways you can use what you already own. The other thing you can do a lot of is lunges and squats. Do them without weights until you get stronger. These are excellent at building muscle in the legs and shaping the legs and butt! Also try to Google different ways to use the resistance bands and weights for upper body workouts. Add weights and resistance to your exercise routine and the weight will start to come off! Take care and hope this helps! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

^^this...lift heavy weights...did wonders on my arms

Yep! Here's my arms before I lost weight (I gained more after this pic was taken), after about 6 months of cardio, body weight exercise and 5 pound dumbbell workouts, and then after about 7 months of strength training with heavy lifting, low reps.

arms2.jpg
  • HealthInBalance
    Options
    So let's say I'm a girl who needs to lose a lot of weight and I don't have easy access to a gym.... could someone please give guidance for those who may have, say, a set of 8 lb dumbbells and a resistance band? I am focusing on cardio to start but I do try to get 20 minutes 4 times a week to work on my arms and back. But I am not sure I'm doing it right.Buying equipment or getting to a gym is not an option for me at the moment....

Oh I should mention I have problems with pushups due to a lower back injury. When I do them, I do them from the knees and not the feet.

Sorry, this comment was meant for you...

Whole body weight training is necessary to increase muscle mass because with every 1 pound of muscle gained you lose an extra 30-100 calories/day. Because the muscles in the legs are the largest muscle groups in the body, really focus on weigh training in this area (that doesn't mean you can forget about the upper body though! :) Try to Google the following: "How to work the legs with a resistance band" You will see plenty of ways you can use what you already own. The other thing you can do a lot of is lunges and squats. Do them without weights until you get stronger. These are excellent at building muscle in the legs and shaping the legs and butt! Also try to Google different ways to use the resistance bands and weights for upper body workouts. Add weights and resistance to your exercise routine and the weight will start to come off! Take care and hope this helps! :)