Fluctuations and Calorie Upping.

Options
I am ussually hard on myself due to weight fluctuations. However, I’ve been weighing in every day since April first and I’ve been pretty good about letting things take their course. However, today’s weigh in startles me the most…

April 12:169.5

A week ago, April 5th: 166.0

Yesterday: 167.0

A week from yesterday, April 4th: 167.5

So yesterday I had successfully lost .5lbs in a week. Today however, Im up 2.5lbs? This is the highest I’ve been in April and since about mid-March, I’ve been fluctuating between this and 164.5. People say that when you up your calories to BMR, to avoid- you know- starving yourself, that you should wait it out a while. It just gets so hard to wait it out and wait for everything to start turning back around.

Anybody else have any personal experience with weight gains after upping one’s calories and know about how long you need to wait it out, what to expect, etc? I'm starting to lose faith in this upping thing but don't want to do my body harm by eating below BMR......

Replies

• HealthyHappyVegan
    Options
    Bump Bump! Just for reference too, I've gone from 1230 calories, then upped to 1490 when I decided 1pound a week was my goal not 1.5. Then I plateaued and then changed it to 1610. A whopping 120 calories more than 1490. Seriously, body that's less than a candy bar... it shouldn't be screwing me up this badly!
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm sure I'll be told just to wait a little longer for results to show, but I upped my calories last Monday (April 2) from 1500 to 1650, and I've seen zero change (no gain nor loss). Interested to see what folks say!
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump! Bump! Bump!.....I have the same problem......netting daily calories at the same as my BMR after eating exercise calories back. Some weeks I don't loose any weight at all...some weeks i gain a pound .......... and then the next week I may loose 2 pound! Dont know why this happens but like you, I'm trying to stick it out.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    it takes about a month to see a change
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    could it be that time of the month? or near?.. I actually start gaining a week before when I get my highest weight of the month and get lowest the day after they finish when all excess water has come off.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Takes at least 2 weeks for adjustment to new stimulus.
    Keep at it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    as your so close to youe goal maybe you need to eat more,

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Dremak1
    Dremak1 Posts: 18
    Options
    Maybe try weighing yourself once a week at the same time every week. Due to many factors - our weight can increase or decrease so weighing everyday doesnt really give you the most accurate results of how you are actually doing. Also, Measure yourself - many times I have seen toning firming and a decrease in inches however no change in my weight at all because I am turning flab into muscle. Don't get discouraged and keep with it. :wink:
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I just read this post................makes it so clear that we need to be patient.........thank you
  • HealthyHappyVegan
    Options
    Thanks for you responses, everyone! I'll be sure to take a look at the article and hang in there a little while longer. Also, for whomever said I should only weigh in once a week, I did that for a while. Sometimes once every week and a half. And it didn't change the level at which I was upset and actually kind of like seeing the fluctuations. My problem atm is simply just understand if this IS fluctuation or a mistake I've made calorie wise :)
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Love these answers! Reminds me to keep with it with the upped calories!!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Are you working out every day? I was and the fluctuations were constant :S I started taking a rest day a week and that has helped.

I upped my calories as well, but I didn't seem to gain after that?
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh so often! I only weigh once a week. When I do it anymore than that I get crazy.

I weigh in once a week, same day, around the same time, wearing the same thing.
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    This is day 10 for me since I changed to eating based on BMR, etc and I made a HUGE mistake of going way over my sodium allowance two of those days. My weight FLEW up by 8 lbs in 4 days :laugh: So that's coming down slowly, but surely. I'm being patient. What helps is that I'm feeling pretty damn great, and I swear I've got some good muscle growth going on, but that may be due to CLX. :smile:
  • HealthyHappyVegan
    Options
    Thx for more responses, guys. I do not work out everyday. With school and everything, it's hard to find the time and I'm not even making excuses. I wake up at 6 and am at school until about 4 and then with homework, projects, etc I can't always find time. I do however stick to my C25K program. I'm starting W2D1 today. I also try and exercise a lot on the weekends because if I manage my time wisely I can get workouts in better.

I know I probably shouldn't weigh in every day but I'm liking it atm.
    Any other responses? Approximately how long should I wait for things to even out and then turn back into losing?

I am doing things right, right? Eating at my BMR and then eating back exercise calories is a healthy way to lose weight in the long run, correct?! Everything I've read says yes.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thx for more responses, guys. I do not work out everyday. With school and everything, it's hard to find the time and I'm not even making excuses. I wake up at 6 and am at school until about 4 and then with homework, projects, etc I can't always find time. I do however stick to my C25K program. I'm starting W2D1 today. I also try and exercise a lot on the weekends because if I manage my time wisely I can get workouts in better.

I know I probably shouldn't weigh in every day but I'm liking it atm.
    Any other responses? Approximately how long should I wait for things to even out and then turn back into losing?

I am doing things right, right? Eating at my BMR and then eating back exercise calories is a healthy way to lose weight in the long run, correct?! Everything I've read says yes.

Make sure you're netting at least your BMR. BMR is what you would be fed if you were in a coma- once you are awake you're into TDEE territory. :)

It takes anywhere from two weeks to two months really- it depends on the person, how long you ate too little, how old you are etc. You're doing a good thing by eating your cals- make sure your deficit isn't too big on the days you work out- that can cause your body to stubbornly hold onto your non-workout day cals because it's still not getting fed enough consistently.

Hope this helps- keep at it and you'll make it :)
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Honestly it is impossible two gain to pounds in one day. You may just be holding a little bit of water weight. I wouldn't worry to much and give your body a little more time to adjust to your changes. I know the scale can be frustrating but just have faith and yourself and it will come off. : )
  • Andrea_McQ
    Andrea_McQ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I actually increased twice, from 1200 to 1300 after loss stopped and I started gaining and then to 1650 (before exercise) when I worked out my BMR and TDEE and figured it all out a bit more accurately for myself. My BMR is 1342, I'm eating at my lightly active TDEE to cover my normal day and add in exercise when I manage to fit it in.

Particularly on the second increase I had a few weeks of fluctuating weigh ins, just this week I've settled back to a more regular loss again. Just 1.2lbs this week, but a steady trend down is all I want and it was Easter!!

If you can, try to get hold of a scales that measures body fat. I know they are not 100% accurate, but if you are measuring that rather than just overall weight then it's easier to see whether you are gaining weight as fat or as something else (muscle, water, etc) A measuring tape is also good to show progress.

And it's probably a good idea to really up your water intake on the days you exercise. I also find it hard to fit in exercise every day, life gets in the way here sometimes and sometimes I'm lucky to get it in once a week! That's my next target for improvement! ;-)

The only regret I have with increasing my calories is that I stuck at 1200 for 3 months before I figured out that I could/should make the change! I have more energy, less crankiness and am feeling much stronger. I'm losing just as quickly as I was at the lower cals and am able to eat enough each day that I don't feel weak and hungry!