Dry skin?

Options
It's been about a month now where I've adopted a much healthier diet and have been exercising now for about three weeks at the gym, more than just my previous walk to and from work. I love it, and I feel great - but my skin has been horrendously dry! I haven't really ever had a problem in the past, just had normal skin, but there are places on my face that are very dry and flakey, and my arms, legs, and back itch like nothing else. I've applied lotion/cream obviously, but it's a daily thing, where as before I didn't ever have a problem with it, and didn't use lotion much at all.

Is this related to the new diet/exercise regime? Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    For your face, try Paula's Choice Hydrating Treatment Cream. Also, go to your local MAC (cosmetics) counter and pick up a bottle of Fix Plus spray. They have a mini size ($10) and full size ($20). It's basically a hydrating spray with lots of vitamins and minerals for your skin. I spray some on before applying makeup and throughout the day when my skin feels tight/dry and needs some refreshing.

As for your body, you can try things that you may already have at home. Get an empty spray bottle and mix half baby oil and half water. Shake before you use. Spray on your body when you get out of the shower and make sure to massage it into your skin. Then put a hydrating lotion over it like Lubriderm or something similar.

Sorry for the long reply, I'm a little obsessed with these types of topics =)
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people using baby oil gel after they get out of the shower. I haven't tried it yet but in the winter months I tend to get real dry skin especially showering 2x a day. I use Golds Bond lotion and that works great.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It might be from adopting a low-fat diet, I got this at first. Now I take cod liver oil supplements (for my joints as well) and I always make room in my calories for some good fats - olive oil, whole eggs, avocados, oily fish etc. - and it's improved a lot.

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • urbanmyth
    urbanmyth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It might be from adopting a low-fat diet, I got this at first. Now I take cod liver oil supplements (for my joints as well) and I always make room in my calories for some good fats - olive oil, whole eggs, avocados, oily fish etc. - and it's improved a lot.

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:

Agree. Supplements and good fats. Oh, as well as oodles of water.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

I agree with this. An ultra low fat diet does me no favours at all, my skin and hair go horrible and, erm, lets just say my digestive system needs a little oil to grease the wheels? :laugh:

Good oils are the answer :flowerforyou:
    4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter