Telling people pounds lost

Options
So I am at almost 40 lbs lost and when I am with friends, some skinny, some not, they ask or I offer how much I have lost.

Last night, I got a little embarrassed because while I have made huge success, I still have a ways to go and I feel like people are doing the math and thinking, "You weighed how much???"

I hid my weight well (Or thought I did) and even though I was nearing 230, I was still a size 16 at Ann Taylor. I look so much better/healthier now but I still have another 40-50 lbs to go.

So...do you tell people how much weight you lost? Just say thanks? Just say "A lot?"

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i only tell people i lost weight if they ask. i am up to 28 pounds, altho my ticker only says ten, since i've lost 10 on mfp. and if they ask how much, i just tell them i don't really know. it ends the guessing game. i know i know. but to prevent them from doing the math or asking about my current weight and then doing the math to figure out my old weight, i just tell them i don't know. try it, it works.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a lot, but I say thanks when people comment. Although I have some people tell me that I don't need to lose anymore. Still, I can tell my husband likes my smaller size. (wink wink) And as for clothing sizes, I think some of that has to do more with the way your body is shaped than the pounds. For instance, I know people who say they are 125 lbs and can wear a size 2. Well, I am 114 lbs and a size 6 is snug. But I have wide hips. So I don't know if I will ever get into a size 2. I don't think I'm really going to lose much more and I don't really want to. I'm happy to maintain my current weight. By the way, I am also 5ft 3in so I'm not anorexic or anything. Just small-framed.
  • vickyd205
    vickyd205 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get asked about my weight loss A LOT...but then again, I've lost 155 lbs from my highest weight so it's pretty hard not to notice :laugh:

I did worry at first that people would be doing some mental math and trying to figure out what I weighed when I started but then I realized that I was being silly...it really doesn't matter where I started because I did (and am doing) something about it and who really cares what they think about how heavy I was.

If you feel self-conscious about it then I wouldn't volunteer any information and if people compliment you on your loss just say "thank you".,,there will still be some people who ask you directly how much you've lost and you can choose to either answer them truthfully, give a generic answer or just ignore the question entirely.
  • smousley
    smousley Posts: 60
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am only at a 13 lb loss so far, but I am worried that when it starts becoming a more obvious weight loss that people will start asking. I am horrified of people doing the math and figuring out how much I weighed...I never told ANYONE. It is even to the point that I encouraged one of my best friends to joing MFP and I won't add her to my MFP friends because I don't want her to see how much weight I need to lose. It's ridiculously embarrassing to me!
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    I only tell if they ask, which isnt that often. I dont tell them what I weigh now, so they cant do the math.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I figure out my percentage of body weight lost, and tell them that. It's always more entertaining that way, because they stop and say "Oh, okay", like they're trying to do mental math and don't want to admit they're missing information.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I do tell people and I tell them the % also at times because I am proud of it :)
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    In the beginning no one noticed that I was even losing weight until I lost about 40 lbs. I told those who asked until lost 100 lbs and then I just started saying it was "over" 100lbs. I have now lost 160 lbs and about 20 more to go. Some people don't even recognize me as the same person. I am embarresed that is was that much, but now I feel that it is better to stand in the truth and let others know that nothing is impossible ( with God) and maybe I can encourage others with their weight journey.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I tell people if they ask. Many people know exactly how much I weigh because sometimes I post it on here, I run weight loss challenges, and I have a facebook group that I post it in. Its nothing but a number... and I am proud that I have gotten as far as I have:)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I didn't have many people ask me how much I'd lost, just if I had been losing, and not really until I lost 40 or 50 pounds.

I did have one lady at the campground last summer (another seasonal) ask how much I weighed at th time. I just smiled and said "Not even my husband knows that".
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    Yep, to the decimal point lol
  • jwhite1301
    Options
    I tell them every time. I have figured out that others knew I was pretty big and I was fooling myself. Did they know I was 277 - no, but they knew I was big.

I also tell them because I DO NOT CARE about 277 anymore. Now I am focused on 199.

Go Steph - you are rocking...
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do tell people and I tell them the % also at times because I am proud of it :)

Love this idea! I am going to calculate that now!
  • Fani2003
    Options
    I tell people if they ask. Many people know exactly how much I weigh because sometimes I post it on here, I run weight loss challenges, and I have a facebook group that I post it in. Its nothing but a number... and I am proud that I have gotten as far as I have:)

Nothing but a number....love it
  • Fani2003
    Options
    I tell them every time. I have figured out that others knew I was pretty big and I was fooling myself. Did they know I was 277 - no, but they knew I was big.

I also tell them because I DO NOT CARE about 277 anymore. Now I am focused on 199.

Go Steph - you are rocking...

Thanks Jon! I agree...and honestly, right before we became friends on here, I freaked because you would see my real weight.. But I find it empowering actually and more validation that I can never go back there again. And PS 199 ricks...today I am loving 188!!!