Once a day or many?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Just curious - my endurance isn't all that great yet, and I'm kind of self conscious about jogging outside because I've always been terrible at both jogging and running. So, I've been jogging in my apartment in place, just to get my body used to the motions and then I'm going to start taking it outside once I feel I can make it a mile or so at a time. Since I can only go 5-10 minutes at a time right now before it just gets too uncomfortable to go on, I am concerned that its not as effective as it could be just doing it once. So, I've been trying to get in little spurts throughout the day.

Now, I know the goal is to get my heart to the target rate and keep it there, but I just can't keep going for that long. So, I'm assuming I'll get less benefit from these short sessions than one longer session. Is that correct?

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    Just curious - my endurance isn't all that great yet, and I'm kind of self conscious about jogging outside because I've always been terrible at both jogging and running. So, I've been jogging in my apartment in place, just to get my body used to the motions and then I'm going to start taking it outside once I feel I can make it a mile or so at a time. Since I can only go 5-10 minutes at a time right now before it just gets too uncomfortable to go on, I am concerned that its not as effective as it could be just doing it once. So, I've been trying to get in little spurts throughout the day.

Now, I know the goal is to get my heart to the target rate and keep it there, but I just can't keep going for that long. So, I'm assuming I'll get less benefit from these short sessions than one longer session. Is that correct?
  • GingerKid
    GingerKid Posts: 86
    Options
    hi!

You know, I suck at running myself. Yet, I've done a few 5ks, and even walked a marathon (boy did THAT ever suck :laugh:)

Anyway, when I'm training for these things...I hit the road..b.c. there's more to running than just the cardio...the pounding of your joints and feet are a part of it too...and sometimes your cardio endurance is better than your muscle-skeletel endurance...

I'd say, go ahead and get out there on the street and start running! I can't run a mile straight either. I just get out there and do it and don't worry about what people might think.

Good luck! You can do it!!
  • smalla
    smalla Posts: 11
    Options
    Everything I've read says you get as much benefit from splitting up cardio than doing it all at once.

You said you are jogging in place because you don't have the endurance yet? Instead, why don't you take it outside and walk. The best way to get good fast is to actually do the movement - jogging in place won't give you the same leg workout as actually walking or running because you're not actually propelling your body forward. All beginner workouts recommend walking for 5 minutes at a regular pace to warm up, then do intervals. For example, jog for 1 minute, then walk for 2 minutes. Repeat that sequence for 10-15 minutes and then warm down. Pretty soon, you'll be able to jog for longer and walk for shorter periods in between. There's nothing wrong with a brisk walk either - you can get a good workout from a race-speed walk, especially if you throw in some hills. Trust me - I went from not being able to run 1 km to the end of my road to running 10 km with no trouble.

Good luck!
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This has really helped with my endurance:bigsmile:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • myebinger
    myebinger Posts: 25
    Options
    This might sound dangerous or just plain silly, but I used to run at night, so I felt like people couldn't see me. Also, I have the worst endurance when it comes to running so I used to say I was going to go out and do my Run-a-pole-walk-a-pole exercise. I would alternate running and walking between the power poles, but you can use any kind of "landmark" you want really. It helped me build up my endurance and I eventually ran a mile and a half non-stop, and for me that was alot.

And no, I don't run anymore. It was too much impact on my joints and I kept getting shin splits.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Please don't be self conscious about becoming a healthy person! It's donesnt matter what you look like when you jog. If someone is going to pass judgement on you, then they should get their fat butts out there and try jogging to!:tongue:

Here is a great way to boost your endurance, and metabolism at the same time! A lot of fitness magazines talk about interval training. It's where you walk a certain amount of time, then jog/run for a minute. Also check out a book called "From couch to marathon" (I think that's what it's called). Again, it's all about walking a few mins, then running one, then back to walking.

So don't spend another moment in your apt jogging in place when you can be outside enjoying yourself! Just keep in mind what a healthy person you are and be proud!

Ok, sorry.... I will get off my soap box now. Good luck to you! I'm going to go for a walk/jog myself right now! :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    msarro, if you don't yet have the endurance follow a staggered routine. These are designed specifically to increase endurance. Here is a simple one for you

for 3 day a week schedule:

- week 1: (start with a 3 minute fast walk) run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, do this as many times as you can (anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes would be good for a start, depending on how you feel. Don't overdo it, if you feel really out of breath or dizzy, stop and continue walking slowly for at least 5 minutes. Always do a 5 minute cooldown)

- week 2: run 2 minutes walk 1 minute (same as above for time)

- week 3: attempt to bring down your walking time to 45 seconds between runs (keep 2 minute runs)

- week 4: 3 minute run 30 second walk

- week 5: 4 minute run 30 second walk

After 5 weeks you should probably be able to do continuous runs now, but don't be embarrassed by having to stop every once in a while, I had to when I started back up in September, and now I'm running 5K's. you can do it!
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'd just get out there and do what you can. Who cares what people think. You're doing this for you, not them. If you can't run a mile right away that's fine. Do what you can, walk, try to run a little more, then walk again. You'll eventually build up your endurance :smile:

:heart: Kels
  • msarro
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses guys :)
    I think I'm going to try doing the interval thing, I've been getting up earlier and earlier so, what the heck? It should be a great way to wake up in the morning!
  • thewolfman
    Options
    I've read a few articles on jogging/running. I'm no expert but one of them suggested running as hard as you can for 20 seconds, or however long you can make it, then taking a really good rest just walking, even up to 10 minutes, and repeating. I think it makes a lot of sense because it doesn't allow your muscles, or your mind, to get used to the monotonous movement. It definitely keeps things interesting. Unless of course you're training for a marathon or something where pace is the name of the game, it seems to me that this method of shocking and burning your muscles out in hard spurts would really get the juices flowing. Don't be fooled, 20 seconds running full out is a long time and can tire you out pretty good! I used to play a lot of soccer and found the short speedy spurts very helpful. I personally like this method better and I think it produces results faster. Not saying jogging doesn't have it's place, it can also do a lot of good. Depends on what you want to achieve I guess. Plus, I think you probably burn calories quicker this way. One more thing, some people are built to sprint and some people are built to run marathons. You sound like you might be a sprinter and these short bursts could be great for you.

As far as running in public goes, I'll bet you'll inspire those who see you more than you think. I find it very inspiring to see a hefty person running and getting healthy. I've been overweight for way too long and seeing someone else making the change encourages me to do it too. When I see a hefty person running I think,"Awesome! Maybe I can do it too." When I see a fit person running I just think,"Must be nice, but I doubt I'll ever get there." Thinking about getting as fit as the pros seems way out of reach, but seeing that other people like me are getting there, that's something I can grasp now. Do what's in you to do and forget about other people's opinions, you are way more important than the fleeting thoughts of insecure and jealous people.
  • cgallen916
    Options
    Just remember, you have to start somewhere! I started running a couple of years ago,and I couldn't even run for 30seconds without feeling like I wanted to die. I worked my way up to running for an hour straight in a matter of a couple of months!

Do what you can, and don't give up! And, like all the others have said, who cares what other people think.....at least you're out there doing something!
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    I would agree with everyone else here:flowerforyou: ... I am starting to do intervals training because I want to be one of those svelt runners I see all over my town:glasses: ... I am a big girl and at first it was a little embarrasing because I thought everyone was looking at me:frown: ... so I got my boyfriend to go with me... It's easier to not pay attention to the looks if you have someone else sweating it out right beside you:tongue: ... I am more comfortable now and even go by myself some days during the week... I get up early so there is less chance of people noticing me but at least I get up and do it...

Good luck to you... and welcome to the club...
    Jenn
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I've read a few articles on jogging/running. I'm no expert but one of them suggested running as hard as you can for 20 seconds, or however long you can make it, then taking a really good rest just walking, even up to 10 minutes, and repeating. I think it makes a lot of sense because it doesn't allow your muscles, or your mind, to get used to the monotonous movement. It definitely keeps things interesting. Unless of course you're training for a marathon or something where pace is the name of the game, it seems to me that this method of shocking and burning your muscles out in hard spurts would really get the juices flowing. Don't be fooled, 20 seconds running full out is a long time and can tire you out pretty good! I used to play a lot of soccer and found the short speedy spurts very helpful. I personally like this method better and I think it produces results faster. Not saying jogging doesn't have it's place, it can also do a lot of good. Depends on what you want to achieve I guess. Plus, I think you probably burn calories quicker this way. One more thing, some people are built to sprint and some people are built to run marathons. You sound like you might be a sprinter and these short bursts could be great for you.

As far as running in public goes, I'll bet you'll inspire those who see you more than you think. I find it very inspiring to see a hefty person running and getting healthy. I've been overweight for way too long and seeing someone else making the change encourages me to do it too. When I see a hefty person running I think,"Awesome! Maybe I can do it too." When I see a fit person running I just think,"Must be nice, but I doubt I'll ever get there." Thinking about getting as fit as the pros seems way out of reach, but seeing that other people like me are getting there, that's something I can grasp now. Do what's in you to do and forget about other people's opinions, you are way more important than the fleeting thoughts of insecure and jealous people.

I would say this approach works fine except for one thing, he mentioned that he hasn't run before, and doing all outs (what we called these in high school) can be extremely taxing on the muscles and lead to tears and strains. You can do this, but I would work up to it first.
    Remember, Freeheart, nobody's born a runner, if you start, you'll get there, 6 months ago I couldn't do a mile at ANY speed. Now I'm doing a 5 K this saturday, and I'm doing it at about a 7 minute mile. The body adapts to running faster then almost any other activity because it is what our bodies evolved to do.
    If you take it slow, and set up a long term routine for increased fitness level, you will get there!
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. And thank you to everyone that replied. I have never been a runner. Never. I am building my endurance for walking on the treadmill and this post got me motivated (even tho i already walked 25 minutes earlier today). I stepped away from the computer and I hopped on for 5 minutes of walking warm up. I ran a little over a minute and it took over 4 to run the next one (i need to stop smoking) , and I made it about 1.5 mins that time. After that, I just walked at a good pace and every few minutes pumped it up to a good fast walk. I feel great! I am surprised how fast I can go and still be comfortable. I think my next goal to work toward is a 5k. Thanks msarro !!!!!:drinker:
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I used something similar to the couch to 5K plan (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). My friends and I had a NYR of running a 5K by April. I think most of them used the couch to 5K plan. I just ran 2 miles today and have my first 5K this weekend. I could hardly run a straight minute when I started in January. Don't be embarrassed!