Protein Powder! How much do u use and When do you use it?

Options
cr9576
cr9576 Posts: 79 Member
Sorry kinda new to this protein stuff. So Ive been hitting the gym for about 4 months now and ive decided to start using this NUTRILITE Protein Powder My mother brought
Per One Scoop (6tsp) its = 45 cal and 10g of protein. So im Thinking How many scoops should i be using in my smoothie? When i make my smoothie it comes up to 5 cups in the blender. Does that mean i use 5 scoops? Also I work out at night around 9pm to 11pm...........When do you suggest I drink this smoothie at Breakfast, Before my work out, or After my work out?

Thanx Suggestions really help!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    when I want to nom on some protein
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I guess its a matter of personal preference, and how much protein you need to meet your goal on a given day. I do 2 scoops of protein powder in a 8 oz glass of either milk or water. Which gives me 48 grams of protein for around 120 cals if just in water or a little over 200 cals with milk.

Have the protein whenever you want it. I have mine in the morning for breakfast along with either some hard boiled eggs or greek yogurt. I know there are some people who swear by having them after work outs. It really I believe is a matter of personal preference and when you can fit it into your cals for the day.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I put that *kitten* on Everything.
  • cr9576
    Options
    I put that *kitten* on Everything.

Lmao
  • cr9576
    Options
    I guess its a matter of personal preference, and how much protein you need to meet your goal on a githatven day. I do 2 scoops of protein powder in a 8 oz glass of either milk or water. Which gives me 48 grams of protein for around 120 cals if just in water or a little over 200 cals with milk.

Have the protein whenever you want it. I have mine in the morning for breakfast along with either some hard boiled eggs or greek yogurt. I know there are some people who swear by having them after work outs. It really I believe is a matter of personal preference and when you can fit it into your cals for the day.

So i should consume wat MFP recomends? Because I read On MDWeb that too much protein is bad for you, So like if i had fish one day and that has like a lottt of protein i shouldnt add any powder for that day no?
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options

So i should consume wat MFP recomends? Because I read On MDWeb that too much protein is bad for you, So like if i had fish one day and that has like a lottt of protein i shouldnt add any powder for that day no?
    [/quote]

The levels that MFP has set are low. I believe the formula is 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (lean body mass). So my level is set at 120 grams of protein a day.

I am thinking that level you would need to reach in order for it to be "unhealthy" is not something that a normal human can consume on a daily basis.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    for you to have an unhealthy amount of protein, meaning too much, you have to actively try , dont worry becuase you wont even come close to that level , in general use protein powder as a supplement to reach your daily goal, which is dependent on your personal goals, mine is about 1.3g per lb at this point in my training, and i go between there and 1g per lb usually