Couch to 5K??

Options
Who has tried this? I am looking at doing a race Memorial Day Weekend. I open a show and have a wedding that weekend so I think it would be great motivation to kick my butt before then. I am worried about my herniated disk. The doctor said it isn't too bad and that I can keep being active, just cautious. Has anyone ever run with one?

I gave up running 8 years ago when a physical therapist told me my hips and butt were too big for it.:cry: I am thinking its time for me to start back up and show that PT that I can do it.

I would love to hear your advice!:glasses:

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I know many people that have used this plan to get into (or back into) running. It's a nice way to ease into it.
  • Chxplyr
    Chxplyr Posts: 2
    Options
    Go for it!.
    I bought some reebok running shoes recently that are supposed to be like running barefoot. i never tried to run like this before.

its amazing, my knees didn't hurt, my hips were better than normal. Go on you Tube and look at barefoot running videos and they explain the technique. Its different for sure, but its amazing how much easier it is on your body. then pick up some of these lightweight shoes.
    you can do it.
  • Jen16226
    Jen16226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of it!

I will be honest. In the past I had tried to do it and the transition from week 2 to 3 was alot for me at that time....but I was also smoking along with being out of shape.

This time, yes this week is still hard, but ALOT more managable and I intend on seeing it through.

I downloaded the C25K Pro app to my droid. This allows me to listen to my music, yet when I need to be cued to run or walk, the sound of the app overrides my music. I like that alot.

If I can do c25k, I think just about anybody can.

Good Luck!!!
  • Jen16226
    Jen16226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Dupe post.....sorry!
  • fatfiske
    fatfiske Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm in week 5 myself and love it. I've never been a runner by any meaning of the word. I got some running shoes and got to it. It was pretty tough from the get go, but I've been able to do every workout without needing to walk, but I still feel challenged. I'll be finishing up in early May just in time for my first 5k May 8th! I highly recommend, but I would be very careful with the disk. Maybe try running on grass rather than pavement? Good luck!
  • HotHol
    HotHol Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have never been a 'runner' but have always wanted to....I'm currently on Week 4 of this program and LOVE IT!....I'm at 5min Runs and feel I'm ready to do more...so the program is def. working! I highly recomend you find a good music download It makes the run so much more enjoyable...I use the below....it's got cues when to run and walk . Good Luck!

http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/couch-to-5k/
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I finished Week 5 last night...today is a rest day and then Week 6 starts on Friday. I love it! I was NEVER a runner, but after just running for 20 minutes consecutively last night, I think I am in love with running now! I love the high you get afterwards! Since W1D1 I have added time to the training at the end. SO, even after running for 20 minutes last night, I walked for 3 minutes and then ran for another 10...I shocked myself!

Give it a whirl! Good luck!!! :drinker:
  • dawyeah
    dawyeah Posts: 1
    Options
    I did it back in Feb. Now I am looking at 10K+ runs. Motivation helps so anything you can find to help push you would help. I have relied on my Nike+ to help keep progress. Everytime I hit a personal best, it gives me kudos. I started running and have not stopped since!

Best of luck!
  • Frankie3333
    Frankie3333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I do need to be careful with the disk. I am going to do a week or 2 of the program and see how my back does before I commit to a race. I have been doing a lot more core work so it should be stronger. I see my chiropractor tomorrow and I'll have her way in too!

Love that there are so many people that have become runners from not being one!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about running with a herniated disk so I can't help there. But I am on week 6 of the c25k and it's a good program. If you are already pretty fit the first few weeks will probably seem super easy, but then they kick it up a notch or two. I'm registered for my first every 5k race in June.