ankle & wrist weights?

Options
Hi,
I've been thinking about getting some 1 kg ankle/wrist weights to wear while I'm doing zumba because I don't get as tired as I used to (which is definitely a good thing!) and I'd like to amp it up a bit. BUT I've heard some worrying things about pressure on your joints - I've never had any problems with my ankles or wrists, should I get some? Or is it at best a waste of time and at worst actually bad for me? Do any of you use them?
Thanks!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    Its not natural for your body to have these weight strapped to you.
    Save up for weights instead.
    Or a good set of resistance bands from SKLZ.
    Google them!
    =D
  • workerbee2011
    workerbee2011 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try using some weighted gloves or walking weights. I think they will be better than using ankle or wrist weights or even resistance bands. Check Ross, Walmart or Academy.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have some wrist weights that loop around my thumb as well as wrist for extra support which helps. However, I prefer to use my resistance bands as I think they give the muscles a better workout without straining them with extra weight. I also use free weights for various routines.

Hope you find what works for you! =)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would never use ankle or wrist weights during an aerobic dance activity. The risk of injury is too great because you're putting stress on fairly delicate joints and moving in quick, unpredictable ways.

If you want to add weight, you could try buying a weighted vest and using it while walking, not Zumba.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights should be paramount to losing fat.
    For cardio all you really need is a brisk walk.
    Let your body be your weight.
    If you want to build strength in the body, check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
    All 3 programs will have you lifting with the big boys.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think cardio and strength training should be kept separate, but if you walk and find walking to be insufficiently challenging, a weight vest distributes weight more evenly and the weight can be adjusted. Firefighters and others use them during training.

I think that running is the best aerobic activity, but not everyone can or likes to run.
  • cr9576
    cr9576 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try using some weighted gloves or walking weights. I think they will be better than using ankle or wrist weights or even resistance bands. Check Ross, Walmart or Academy.

Yea i saw these ankle/wristbands at walmart they had some 3pound and 5 pound

Im actually intrested in these for when i do leg lifts on the floor because it has gotten a little too easy for me (ive also been doing them with those inflatable balls) But yea i need more of a challenge

And I also like to put the treadmill at its highest incline(15) and walk at speed of 3 or 3.5 and i think these anklebands may help better tone my legs

Idk il give it a try (but i am also a little afraid of injury)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

Yea i saw these ankle/wristbands at walmart they had some 3pound and 5 pound

Im actually intrested in these for when i do leg lifts on the floor because it has gotten a little too easy for me (ive also been doing them with those inflatable balls) But yea i need more of a challenge

And I also like to put the treadmill at its highest incline(15) and walk at speed of 3 or 3.5 and i think these anklebands may help better tone my legs

Idk il give it a try (but i am also a little afraid of injury)

I wouldn't wear ankle weights while walking on a treadmill. I own a weighted vest and I've worn it during an Leslie Walk Away The Pounds workout and during a couple of Tae Bo workouts. I don't see why you can't wear a weighted vest to do Zumba. Do you go to Zumba classes or own the workouts at home? I've seen the Zumba infomercial where they are using the Zumba weights.