Penny for your thoughts: New use for MFP?

I used MFP to help shed the holiday pounds and it worked for me. Now I'm pregnant and I'm terrified of gaining too much weight (I gained almost 80 pounds with my daughter because of the "I'm eating for two" mentality).

I was wondering if I reset my goals to gain 35 pounds (recommended weight gain) if it would still be OK to use this tool to track food consumption. I'm concerned I'm going to start eating absent-mindedly and not hold myself accountable for the empty calories that I eat. I also want to keep track of the good things (calcium, iron, etc) to make sure I'm getting enough of them.

Has anyone used this website for pregnancy or have an opinion of doing so?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    The purpose of the site is to track your food consumption. I don't see how this would be a new use for it? Or why it wouldn't be ok?
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    I think it would be a good idea but I don't think you should look to add 35lbs

typically the only weight you really should gain during pregnancy is the baby, fluid, sac etc

You should eat something like an extra 500 cals a day though - ask midwife about this

so I would be more inclined to put your settings at staying the same but eat the extra calories advised by midwife
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Talk to you obgyn! I am sure it would be fine, but I would have THEM tell you what your nutritional goals need to be for the healthiest pregnancy. THEN you can manually set those goals on MFP and track them. Obviously it will have to adjust as your pregnancy progresses, but you can update it as your Dr. suggests as needed.
  • KaylaRaylene
    KaylaRaylene Posts: 5 Member
    The Weight Breakdown
    •Baby = 7-8 pounds
    •Placenta = 1-2 pounds
    •Amniotic fluid = 2 pounds
    •Uterus = 2 pounds
    •Maternal breast tissue = 2 pounds
    •Maternal blood = 4 pounds
    •Fluids in maternal tissue = 4 pounds
    •Maternal fat and nutrient stores = 7 pounds
    (cited from: http://totsites.com/help/pregnancy/pregnancy-weight-gain.php)

I know how much I need to gain to maintain a healthy pregnancy. The reason for my question is I was basically kicked out of Weight Watchers as soon as they caught wind that I was preggers. They stated that their goal is to help people use weight, which isn't my goal anymore. Which I agree weight loss isn't my goal, but I didn't want to use their tools for weight loss. I wanted to use them for calorie accountability. I just wasn't sure if everyone had the same views as Weight Watchers and I was the one out of line. I did better with MFP anyway. Thanks for your input. :)