are the exercise calories on mfp correct

Options
I don't understand how when I do 30 mins on stationary bike it logs over 300 calories but I see other people only get 190 or so calories. Can I trust the mfp calculations?

Replies

• ubermagee
    ubermagee Posts: 57
    Options
    I never use MFP calculations. I use calculations from my treadmill, HRM, and "Map My Fitness" app.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I also use the calories on my treadmill screen. It calculates the incline, speed, distance, etc. Plus I carry hand weights for an added bonus.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It's going to be different from person to person because of how much that person weighs. If you weigh less yours will be much smaller than someone who weighs a lot more.
  • rbaubonis
    Options
    My treadmill takes into account the exact speed and the exact incline I used for the calorie calculation. MFP can only provide averages based on a general speed, with general incline to come up with an average calorie loss. I always use the treadmill, and change the number. Hope that helps...
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    MFP can overestimate a tad. It depends on a whole lot of factors they just can't nail down 100% for every individual user. The readout from the machine is better, HRM better than that.

I always just knock around 30% off what MFP says.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's impossible for their numbers to be 100% accurate.

Heart Rate Monitor is the best way to go.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    No, sadly since I've bought a heart rate monitor, I'm only actually burning about 2/3 of the calories that MFP says I am :( but at least I know so I don't eat more.
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If I use a machine like a treadmill I enter what it says. Otherwise, I deduct about 40% from what MFP says. I figure that's closer to the truth.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some are correct, some are not. But your burn for any exercise can be different from someone else doing the same thing based on height, weight, fitness level, and just the fact that we are all different.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I never use MFPs calculations anymore. I use my Heart Rate Monitor which calculates calories burned based on my heart rate (beats per minute), height, weight, age, and sex. I'm 5'9", 170 lb 23 yr old female and I always burn WAY MORE calories than MFP calculates. Hope this helps.
  • wongleweed
    wongleweed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Can't get a HRM here in zimbabwe so will just assume its being over calculated
  • all4derby
    all4derby Posts: 55
    Options
    I ten to go with whatever the machine tells me, especially if it has been using my heart rate. For example, yesterday the elliptical at my gym said that I had burned 224, but MFP said 305. I just made a mental note to only eat back 220 or so of those calories. You can also change the time to reflect what the machine says you burned, but I prefer to have an accurate record of my exercise time.

As far as off machines workouts, I generally go with half of what MFP says. For instance, I play roller derby and practice is generally 2 hours (with gearing up and down), but I will log skating as 45 mins.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I've actually found that MFP is pretty close to what the machines at the gym say. Maybe off by a calorie or two but pretty close.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    MFP is actually a fairly accurate when it comes to calorie burn b/c it is using your AGE, HEIGHT, WEIGHT as a base....the only thing it doesn't know is effort. (light, vigorous etc) I've checked about a gazillion calorie burn calculators on the internet and they are all fairly close to the burn on MFP. What we have to remember that in the grand scheme or things, these are ALL ESTIMATES that we are working with. It's not, nor will it ever be a perfect science....unless you have access to some pretty sweet equipment to figure all this stuff out for you! I for one, trust MFP completely....but that's just me. I got a HRM is it shows that I burn a crap load more calories than MFP or the equipment at the gym?!?!?!?! So then what! I know I work hard, and really that's all that matters :) Good luck!!