Do you feel guilty when you take a break from the gym?

Options
I'm taking a day's break from the gym today though I'm still willing to keep between my 1200 cals + eating super clean. But I feel kinda guilty though...I'm super OCD when it comes to getting my calorie burn for the day. I feel like I'm betraying MFP whenever I skip gym because I usually pre-calculate my calorie burn for my exercise before heading to the gym.

It's not like I skip it regularly though...I work out 4-5 days a week. It's fine right?

Replies

• Becca224
    Becca224 Posts: 36
    Options
    As long as your not pigging out too much then taking breaks is ok. After all your body isn't a machine, it does need a few breaks. I usually have one day a week where I do nothing, just to give myself a rest. As long as you try and exercise 4-5 times a week then you will be fine :). Besides when it comes to weight loss it's more about your diet then exercise anyway.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    bump
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Taking a break from the gym is definitely okay. Your body needs some time to recover. If you do any resistance or weight lifting exercises, then it's actually during the rest time that your muscles are building and getting stronger. (You stress the muscles and break them down during your workout and then your body heals them and builds them up stronger over the next couple of days.)

It's even a good idea to take a break from vigorous cardio once or twice a week. If you get too exhausted it lowers your body's immune response, and you can get sick easier. If you're just feeling too guilty, take an easy walk or something else that gets you moving but isn't too strenuous.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    no because there is such a thing as overtraining that can cause hormonal imbalance, damage to joints and ligaments, and increase in cortisol which leads to diminished muscle mass and more body fat.

i go every other day. when i do go, i go HARD so i deserve the break.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm someone that cannot take a break, because I have a hard time getting started again. I do way better when I set aside a certain amount of time everyday and do something. So, I have what I call an 'active' rest day, which is basically yoga for stress relief. Great stretches, and brings some inner peace and clarity.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say "guilty," but I don't like taking a break because I love lifting.

To restate what Axels91 said, if you don't NEED a break, you're probably not working hard enough.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    This might be a little different than what you are referring to, but recently the weather was very, very nice here and I ran for 7 days in a row (outside) and then it rained yesterday so I went to the gym, and I couldn't help but wonder if 'someone' might think I fell off the 'wagon' so to say.

Early this winter I was working out 1.5 hour to 2 hours a day with no break and one day I found myself in tears at the thought of going to the gym.... I reevaluated my workouts took them down a notch and made sure I took a day off every week to 10 days adn now I feel much better.
  • DallasEl
    DallasEl Posts: 54
    Options
    I take a complete week off from exercise every 3 months for sure. It does my body and more importantly my mind a world of good. No sense risking fitness burnout if you want to sustain good living for the rest of your life. It was definately a mental struggle the first time around but now I look forward to it.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on feeling guitly, even though rationally I know there's no point in it. I think it's because I know that things come up and I have days off anyway, so when I just TAKE a day off, I feel like a bum. I like what the earlier poster said about "active" rest days. Sometimes it's nice to go to the gym without the intent of really pushing it. It's good to take an hour to myself and just putter around on the bike, listen to some music and relax.
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    I hate skipping the gym even if I need to. I realized I needed a rest day the other week and I got home from work so early and literally didnt know what to do with myself. So I went for a walk with my dog that turned into a 45 min run! haha I am trying to listen to my body and take a day of when I feel beat up from lifting.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I take a complete week off from exercise every 3 months for sure. It does my body and more importantly my mind a world of good. No sense risking fitness burnout if you want to sustain good living for the rest of your life. It was definately a mental struggle the first time around but now I look forward to it.

interesting, I was sick and had to miss a week, I came back feeling good and with improved times on my run. certainly something to think about.