Need help figuring out this calorie thing..

Options
I've been dieting for 60 days, have lost only six pounds in all that time. I was eating about 900 calories a day, and am willing to try to eat more to kick start the metabolism so I will start losing. I went to FitnessFrog.com yesterday and figured out these rates for myself:
BMI - 24.51
RMR - 1240
BMR - 1256
Kilocalories burned per day - 1724 when I exercise 60 minutes a day, six times a week.

I am confused, now, as to how many calories I should eat. Can anyone help me figure this out, please?

I have 144, want to lose 14 more pounds. I am age 67, 5'3". When I am not exercising on my elliptical, I am not that active unless I'm gardening.

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. If you are burning the calories you say, then you aren't consuming enough. I eat around 1900 calories/day, and I am still losing with my moderate exercise. I have always eaten back most of my exercise calories because otherwise my body goes into starvation mode, and it sounds like your body is doing the same. Do some research and you will see what I mean.
  • Pandoragirl
    Options
    Is there a formula, based on the above rates, for how many calories I should eat? 1200? My basic metabolic rate is only slightly over 1200 so how many calories a day is healthy for me?
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    900 isnt good for you or your body. You will loose muscle along with fat. Eat around 1400 a day. That alone should help. Some say you should eat back your work out calories and some say you shouldnt but I went to a health and welness center and they said that as long as you net 1200 you are good. SO, you eat 1400 and work off 300....eat back 100 to net 1200. You dont have to eat back all of it. Take a multi vitamin and fish oil...you need healthy fat, protein and carbs. Everyone is different, so this may not be for you. This was told to me for my body type but it seems like the healthy way to do things. 14 lbs isnt alot to loose so you need to do it slow. The last 10-15 are the hardest. If you can lift a little weights, that will help build muscle and break down fat as well. I would eat a little more if you do lift though, muscles need food to get strong.
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    I've been dieting for 60 days, have lost only six pounds in all that time. I was eating about 900 calories a day, and am willing to try to eat more to kick start the metabolism so I will start losing. I went to FitnessFrog.com yesterday and figured out these rates for myself:
    BMI - 24.51
    RMR - 1240-
    IBMR-1256

RMR - 1240- you really don't want to go below this # if you look it up its what your body needs for basic organ function , and with only 14lbs to lose 1lb per week is a pretty aggressive goal, .5 per week is probably more realistic especially with little to no exercise.

slow and steady the weight will stay off, super fast loss the weight comes back plus some.:flowerforyou:
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1400-1500 a day. That will leave you with a 200-300 calorie deficit on the days you exercise and you should lose weight pretty steadily.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    A few things. One, due to age and gender, you will have a really hard time maintaining muscle mass, so you will need to make sure you do this slowly with a small deficit. I agree with you that your resting metabolic rate is low, so eating 1200 could be too much. I do think 900/ day is too low for you though because on exercise days you are running a deficit of 800. I would increase calories by 100/week to 1200 just to see if you can lose with that. If you can't, then try lower, but it will be better for you if you can lose weight with a modest deficit
  • nf3dude
    nf3dude Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Only my thoughts: My guess is that you like your sugars and Carbs. No Noodles, No Potatoes, No sweets, Definitely no carbonated beverages or beverages with high sugars, NO white or wheat bread, only whole Grain. Portion control is the key. Weigh your food, Only lean meats, fish, turkey and pork, No packaged or processes dinners. Eat Greens and lots of them. Add to your MFP the calories of what you are going to eat, not what you have already eaten.

Use your elliptical or go for a long walk every day for at least 30 minutes. I started my weight loss program on December 5th 2011 and I am down 44 lbs today strictly by using my fitness pal and being well disciplined. My goal is to loose 95 lbs. And there is no doubt in my mind that this WILL happen by end of the year. Everything I have suggested, is what I am doing. So I'm preaching to the choir sort of speaking. Have fun with this and try not to let the two week long stalemates discourage you. It will pass. I promise.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    By the way,you look great! You look like you are in your 50s not 60s.

What does MFP say you should eat. 900 cals is not enough to keep you healthy and give you enough energy to exercise well. Let alone live. Would mind making your diary open so I can give you an evaluation? Feel free to look at mine and add me as a friend. I am losing very well. I'm almost 45,I run almost every day and circuit train. After I reach my goal I'll re evaluate and decide if I need to lose more.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. If you are burning the calories you say, then you aren't consuming enough. I eat around 1900 calories/day, and I am still losing with my moderate exercise. I have always eaten back most of my exercise calories because otherwise my body goes into starvation mode, and it sounds like your body is doing the same. Do some research and you will see what I mean.

This post was not helpful. She did the research, she found her TDEE, she was asking for help, not what you do.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    BMI - 24.51
    RMR - 1240
    BMR - 1256
    Kilocalories burned per day - 1724 when I exercise 60 minutes a day, six times a week.

I am confused, now, as to how many calories I should eat. Can anyone help me figure this out, please?

I have 144, want to lose 14 more pounds. I am age 67, 5'3". When I am not exercising on my elliptical, I am not that active unless I'm gardening.

Everyone will give you different answers. Mine is:

Eat 1256 per day (your BMR). That gives you almost a 500 calorie deficit on the days you workout. This gives you a 1 pound per week weight loss.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    BMI - 24.51
    RMR - 1240
    BMR - 1256

Everyone will give you different answers. Mine is:

Eat 1256 per day (your BMR). That gives you almost a 500 calorie deficit on the days you workout. This gives you a 1 pound per week weight loss.

^^ THIS. 900 is way to few, eat your BRM worth of calories, and see how that goes.
  • Pandoragirl
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your input. Because of my age and height, I think I will try for 1200 calories but I think it will be very difficult for me to eat that much. Had to laugh at Nf3 guy who jumped to the conclusion I was eating too many carbs and sweets- so not true and I think he is projecting himself onto others. I weigh and record every bite, every calorie; am not a sugarholic, never eat dessert.

To all the others, a sincere thank you. I will hang in here and keep at it - and I swear I will never let myself get so overweight again. It is just too difficult to lose the pounds!
  • nf3dude
    nf3dude Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It was a only a guess Robin and obviously a poor one. lol!!!!! :o) Anywho, best of luck with accomplishing your goal and you are very correct, I was in fact projecting myself. Ive been down that road and failed miserably many times in the past. Enjoy and sorry if I came across in a not so pleasant manner, No disrespect intended.
  • Pandoragirl
    Options
    that"s okay...I appreciate your input and we all have to find what works for us. You're doing great at 44 lbs. lost!