54 yrs young and need tips on using wedsite

Options
Dear myfitnesspal community,
Any tips on best way to get started? Also would like to hear your weight loss stories. I am sure they will motivate me and I need that:wink::flowerforyou: Thanks for your help Trish

Replies

• hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Welcome Trish!
    Just start like you did and make some friends. That's the best motivation there is on the site. Also, utilize the food diary, even if you go over, just log it all.
    Add me, and you can see bits of my story in my blog.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

I turned 50 last year.

I started using this website in 2010 as a food log, and I've learned so much about the nutritional content of different foods, and what works well for me.

Best way to get started is to record everything you're currently eating. When you have a week's worth of data, have a look at it (if you set your diary to "public" we can help you analyse it too) and see where to make changes. I'd recommend making one change at a time, rather than trying to doing everything at once.

Good luck!
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 58 and on here for the second round...want to lose my last 10lbs. Been maintaining since November...and must say doing well. Look above where you posted this...push (or check out) all the above. On search type in progress stories and you will get a slew of information!! This sight is the only thing that has ever worked for me...I've tried almost everything!! Add me for a friend if you like! Jen :flowerforyou:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Hi Trish and Welcome!

Go to Message Board section "General Weight Loss..." and read the 3d and 4th red pins by banks and riverside (same person). Amazing amount of excellent information for getting off to a new start. Join a support group: Go to Community tab underneath click on groups.
    For motivation, go to Community, click on Success...I read them every day!
    If your looking for buds, send me a friend request (FR)~
    Good luck!
  • babsriley
    babsriley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome Trish...:happy:
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Welcome ! Friend request sent
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Welcome Trish,
    I joined this website back in March 2011, but didn't really start using it until I retired July 1, 2011. I too am 54 and needed to lose about I started by using the diary and exercise diary portion. I had a few friends then starting looking at the message boards. I joined in on a couple of threads and got some more friends. I have been active on here for just over 118 pounds to reach my goal. I am now down 71 in just over 9 months. I joined a few challenges (search for them in groups) and that really motivated me. Add me as a friend and you will be able to see some of the things you can get involved in. You can do it. Just remember our goal is not to lose weight, it is to become healthy and fit. I am not on a diet. Carla