Can someone tell me the name of this exercise?!

Options
I am gong to try my best to explain it. I have done these for years and was trying to describe it to someone and cant remember ever having a name for it... here goes.

You sit on the floor or the end of a weight bench. You lean back a little without touching your upper body to the floor/bench with your legs extended out in front of you, also not touching floor/bench. You then do a 'crunch-like' motion and bring your knees up to your chest and then extending your legs out again, repeating the motion for each rep. not sure how else to describe it! haha ;)

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Jack Knife, maybe.....
  • kfhoffman12
    Options
    similar, but you are bending your knees into your chest so your body goes from \_ _ to \/\ lol
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would say that it's some variation of a tuck crunch.

ETA: http://www.body-mind-strength.com/six_pack_abs/tone_building_abs_exercises/tuck_crunches.html
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    In P90X they call that 'seated crunchy frog'. I can't imagine that is a normal name. With this one they incorporate the arms so they extend out on either side of your body when your legs are extended out and then bring them in around your knees when you bring your knees to your chest.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    tiiiime for crunchy frogs .. EEEVerybody gets their hands off the floor for this one.
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    sounds like some kind of reverse crunch
  • sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    reverse crunch or leg lifts if you kept your legs straight
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I was able to find it on google with both seated crunchy frog or just plain seated crunch
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    tiiiime for crunchy frogs .. EEEVerybody gets their hands off the floor for this one.

*involuntary spasm* I hate crunchy frogs.

I was thinking they sound like In and Outs
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    reverse crunch or leg lifts if you kept your legs straight

^^Would agree also^^
  • kellyo15
    kellyo15 Posts: 51
    Options
    I've always heard of them/called them V-sits, or V-shaped Sit-Ups
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

take breaks if you need em'

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0PzYxv05FMDODamJ0Px0Oh0pOCNIHKHdrMN8KP40GDmtlr4vX
  • birdieintx
    birdieintx Posts: 298
    Options
    I've always heard of them/called them V-sits, or V-shaped Sit-Ups

yep this is what they are called in pilates :)
  • bricktowngal
    Options

Yep that's what it is alright!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    In P90X they call that 'seated crunchy frog'. I can't imagine that is a normal name. With this one they incorporate the arms so they extend out on either side of your body when your legs are extended out and then bring them in around your knees when you bring your knees to your chest.

I call them "Crunchy Frogs" too!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    In yoga, it's called a half boat pose, in pilates it's sometimes called "earthquake" cause it makes your abs shake like crazy.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the "pure evil hurts like all hell" move. Ya that has a ring to it.
  • micdonkem
    micdonkem Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Raised leg crunch
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    V-sits.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Chalean Johnson does something like that in her ab workouts.. I think she calls it a swim tuck or somethin