Switching from maintenance to loss after endurance running

Options
Hello!

I'm not sure the title of my thread really explains very well what I am hoping to find answers to. So here we go :)

I am less than four weeks away from my first marathon (could turn into a half due to injury). I have gained 8 pounds since I started really training in January, but I have stayed the same in inches.

My big day is May 6th and after that I plan on having a few rest days and then getting back onto the weight loss wagon.

Has anyone gone through this type of transition before and has any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    bump! Didn't gain that much weight, but just went through a similar thing!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I recently ran a half marathon and kept hitting the wall in training because of my deficit... So I upped to maintenance for the last two weeks and then after a few weeks I went back to weight loss. Recalculated my calorie goal with my new weight and proceeded as I had done previously.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    bump
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    After your recovery, drop you mileage but work in some interval training and watch those calories. During this time, your running might suffer but you will see some weight reduction.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight when I'm marathon training. It's a real bummer, isn't it?? I mean when you are running 20 milers you should be able to eat whatever you want!!

I agree with the previous poster..... drop back the mileage a bit, add some speedwork, and be careful with diet. It will come off again. I also have found after my previous marathons that I was really ready for some cross training after the big race. I had my fill of running!! So maybe add some biking or fitness classes to mix it up a bit.