What should I do?

Options
My weight loss has come along over the years. I was at my biggest in 2009 at 200 lbs. I got started on my weight loss journey and got all the way down to 157 lbs. Then I moved to Arizona with my boyfriend which meant a lot of dinner dates and delicious restaurants. THEN in the summer I broke my foot and ALL exercise went out the window. Over the past year, I've gotten back up to 186 lbs and I'm back to losing weight again. Currently, I've gotten back down to 176.5lbs.

My question is this... should I track from the weight I've been at for the past year? Like from starting MFP at 186 and saying I've lost 10 lbs now? Or should I track my weight loss from the very beginning from back in 2009 when I didn't have MFP yet?

Technically I've lost 23 lbs now, but it doesn't really feel like that since I lost, gained, and I'm losing again. I feel more like I've lost 10lbs.

I don't know... it's confusing...

What do you guys think?

Replies

• bwmiller1
    bwmiller1 Posts: 98
    Options
    I was in the same dilemma. I weighed from the date i signed up. that was my ground zero. Even though I lost 10+lbs in the month leading up to me logging on, I know where I started from. That's just me.
  • Brilliantbritt27
    Options
    I ha a similar situation. In full honesty, I used my highest weight because that reflects my overall progress and is a confidence boost when I look back and see how far ive come since my highest weight.
  • Lily_1
    Lily_1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Focus on the NOW. Stay in the moment. Don't let anxiety from the past confuse you and don't worry about the future. The only that matters is RIGHT NOW. Enjoy it don't stress. That is why it's called the PRESENT. :) Don't look back.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I ha a similar situation. In full honesty, I used my highest weight because that reflects my overall progress and is a confidence boost when I look back and see how far ive come since my highest weight.

Me too!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I had already lost 10 lbs before starting MFP which I ignored so my weight loss doesn't reflect that. I began January 2010 on MFP and consider that my "start date".
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Totally and completey YOUR choice! I know, not very helpful huh:wink: ? Seriously though... in YOUR head how much have you lost? For instance my largest ever was around 250, I didn't start getting serious until I weighed and was at 227. Dropped to 163, got pregnant and bounced between 190-210 for almost 9 years. In July of last year I was 200 even. I mark my weight loss from starting at 200 because I didn't want to go back that far... I wanted to 'start fresh'. It's all individual though. Good luck in your choice! :flowerforyou:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It only matters to you, so do what you feel is best. I'm not tracking the weight I lost prior to joining MFP
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would put the higher number. Like making a To Do List... always put something on that you have already done.. then it feels good to cross something off it. Likewise, with your progress.. it will motivate you to see the loss so far. You HAVE progressed, and that should spur you on to lose the rest.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Agree that it only matters to you. So long as you tell MFP your current weight now, it'll tell you what to eat to lose going forward.

Lots of folks here re-set their tickers after losing a lot of weight, so I don't think it's different if you want to set your initial weight to work you did before you joined. You're the only one that will know.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What does it matter? It's not going to effect the number of calories you get, or the amount of various nutrients you need. If you feel like you want people to understand your story, put it in your profile.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you've lost 10 lbs, then that's what you've lost! Shouldn't matter to anyone but you anyway....

Personally, I put my starting weight at what it was when I began actively trying to become more healthy. It is a bit higher than my weight when I actually started using MFP, but not my highest weight ever. My ticker shows the same amount as my answer to the question "how much weight have you lost?" so I feel it is the best reflection of how I feel.
  • EmilyJaneRigali
    Options
    Thanks guys! Your input and opinions help :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!