Journey to a healthier diet/lifestyle

Options
I am wondering whether anyone could share their journey to a healthier die/lifestyle so that I could learn from your jouney? I would love to lose weight but to me, it is secondary to moving towards a healthier lifestyle.

I have an extremely unhealthy diet, loaded with sugars. And I really do not want to be diabetic later. And all the junk food I am eating just makes me have less energy and I feel terrible after binging out and knowing that I am too lazy to exercise.

I know I would fail if I start cold turkey. I cannot speak for others but I know I would fail if I cut out all my junk food at one go.

I started out small. I tried to reduce the amount of coke I drink (2-3 cans per day). I substituted it with pure fruit juice I squeezed or buy (wince...100% pure fruit juice with no preservatives/no added sugar are expensive). The sugar level is still high but it is still better than drinking coke. I still drink coke occasionally....once every few days. Maybe one day I can cut coke out of my life but not in the near future. My next step - which is to start in 2 weeks time, is to substitute fruit juice with organic smoked plum tea. The sugar level is about half of fruit juice. Once my body is used to less sugary drink, I would move on to plum green tea with even lower sugar level.

My next sin is fast food. I love Burger King' mushroom swiss burger and KFC's zinger burger. I cannot cut them out totally. But now I only buy the burger and leave out the fries and coke. I bring along my own flask of fruit juice and ask for ice at the counter to that I have a drink with the burger. I am still trying to figure out the 'maximum' number of times I could eat my favorite burgers but so far I am pretty pleased that I managed to cut down the frequency of my trips to the fast food joints.

For the time being, I am cutting out some of my favorite food (but exotic to many people on the board here.....food like pig intestines, pig brains, duck neck etc) until I can figure out the calories.

My next sin is the laziness to move my bump to exercise. This is something that I really struggle.....I am to shy to go to the gym and has 2 left foot so dancing/aerobic classes are out. So I started a 10,000 steps program. I map out my routes and although there are times I cannot quite hit 10,000 steps every day (especially if it is raining), I managed to hot 10,000 steps for least 5 days every week. I know it is dumb not to use the state-of-the-art gym at my condominium unit and that usage is free for residents, but I have a mental block when it comes to gym.

So, what's your story?

Replies

• NickPineault
    Options
    For me, watching eye-opening documentaries did the trick.

I changed my diet in the next months of watching these movies:

- Hungry for change
    - Food inc.
    - Food Matters
    - King Corn

I suggest you check those out!